Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
He's been a faithful husband. He hasn't sexually assaulted anyone. He pays his bills. He's never had to pay millions of dollars to people he defrauded. He's never mocked our fallen troops as "suckers" or "losers."

You see, this is the problem. For the far right, that is all that has to be, in order to be a "great guy." You set the bar way too low.

He might be a great guy. On a good day at least, he is. A letter he sent to a widow after his office sent a letter to her recently deceased husband:

Its letterhead was labeled “Joseph R. Biden, Jr., Wilmington, Delaware,” and the letter read:

Dear Mrs. Cooke,

Yesterday, your son Jason informed my press secretary that even though your husband passed away last fall, my office continues to send correspondence addressed to him. Mrs. Cooke, the only thing I can say is we screwed up and I sincerely apologize for causing you any additional pain.

As you may know, back in 1972, my wife and younger daughter were killed in a car accident, so even though I would never presume to know how you feel, I understand something of what it means to lose a spouse suddenly. For me, it went far beyond grief, to a kind of anger and guilt and sense of the world being turned upside down.

I often tell people who lose a loved one that the “firsts” are always the hardest — the first Christmas, the first birthday, the first anniversary. I know from my experience how little words can mean at such a time, but I know, as hard as it can be to believe, that time does heal. And I know, with faith and family to help, that you will reach that day of healing, when you can remember your husband and smile, with joy for what he shared with you and for his enduring spirit.

Again, I apologize for any additional pain we may have caused you.

With sympathy,

Joseph R. Biden, Jr.
United States Senator.
In fact, it appears that Biden has quietly sent countless condolence letters to the recently bereaved over the years.

Joe Biden’s 2002 Letter to Ruth Cooke

Can you picture Donald Trump sending a letter like that to someone he didn't know? I can't, either.
It looks to me that you are okay with him funding abortions with taxpayer money as long as he writes nice letters.

Also, you don’t seem to be getting it that I’m not defending Trump’s character. So I don’t know why you keep bringing it up.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It looks to me that you are okay with him funding abortions with taxpayer money as long as he writes nice letters.

I'm aware that he follows the law, even if he personally disagrees with it. Much of what fell apart in the last few years was because the previous president didn't follow the law. But yes, as I said, those kind letters of condolence he sent out quietly to people who were hurting is a stark contrast to his predecessor.

I would prefer to have Roe vs. Wade not have happened at all. But no president is entitled to say "I disagree with the law, and therefore, I'm not going to comply with it."

And it's pointless anyway. I notice you're still talking about government stopping abortion, when pro-life groups have been accomplishing that without any government handouts at all. If you really care, why not join one of them, and actually do something about it?

Granted, that won't be of much use politically, but it will save lives. Your call.

Meantime, Biden's approval remains high as he pulls the country out of the ditch we fell into.

Today:
President Biden's job approval has held steady from last month, according to a new Hill-HarrisX poll.
Poll: Biden approval holds steady at 61 percent

We now have someone who actually cares about America, and has the ability to make it better. And people like him. Go figure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Also, you don’t seem to be getting it that I’m not defending Trump’s character. So I don’t know why you keep bringing it up.

I don't remember you assailing him so persistently for all the despicable behaviors he showed us. Links?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I'm aware that he follows the law, even if he personally disagrees with it. Much of what fell apart in the last few years was because the previous president didn't follow the law. But yes, as I said, those kind letters of condolence he sent out quietly to people who were hurting is a stark contrast to his predecessor.

I would prefer to have Roe vs. Wade not have happened at all. But no president is entitled to say "I disagree with the law, and therefore, I'm not going to comply with it."

And it's pointless anyway. I notice you're still talking about government stopping abortion, when pro-life groups have been accomplishing that without any government handouts at all. If you really care, why not join one of them, and actually do something about it?

Granted, that won't be of much use politically, but it will save lives. Your call.

Meantime, Biden's approval remains high as he pulls the country out of the ditch we fell into.

Today:
President Biden's job approval has held steady from last month, according to a new Hill-HarrisX poll.
Poll: Biden approval holds steady at 61 percent

We now have someone who actually cares about America, and has the ability to make it better. And people like him. Go figure.
He doesn’t care about the unborn as he wants to fund the murder of some of them.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't remember you assailing him so persistently for all the despicable behaviors he showed us. Links?
You also don’t see me defending him.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You also don’t see me defending him

I get the selective outrage. Trump got a pass on adultery, sexual assault, disparaging fallen soldiers, fraud and many other things. We all get that. But Biden follows the law WRT abortion, and the far right howls in anger.

Everyone understands. Which is one reason that Biden's work in restoring America is favored by a large majority of Americans.

He's up by over ten points on the economy, according to the RCP average of polls:
RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Biden Job Approval - Economy

I think we've reached the point where all that political thrashing is actually working in Biden's favor.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I get the selective outrage. Trump got a pass on adultery, sexual assault, disparaging fallen soldiers, fraud and many other things. We all get that. But Biden follows the law WRT abortion, and the far right howls in anger.

Everyone understands. Which is one reason that Biden's work in restoring America is favored by a large majority of Americans.

He's up by over ten points on the economy, according to the RCP average of polls:

I think we've reached the point where all that political thrashing is actually working in Biden's favor.
Biden supports aborting babies. You seem okay with him.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Biden supports aborting babies. You seem okay with him.

Yes, we get the selective outrage and denial. But you still haven't called up a pro-life group and offered to help, have you?

The results count. It's one reason that Biden's work in restoring America is favored by a large majority of Americans.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So how did Obama/Biden do with abortion? There is some data...

The abortion rate has fallen to historic lows since the advent of Roe vs. Wade, according to a report from the Guttmacher Institute. Predictably, the reason for the decline is the subject of much political debate. Research, however, suggests that the Affordable Care Act played a role.

The report found that abortion rates declined in every region of the United States between 2011-2014, with an overall decline of 14 percent. Abortion rates dropped in all but six states, declining by an average of 3-6 percent per year.

In 2013, the abortion rate fell below a million for the first time since the 1970s. This change comes in spite of growing numbers of women of childbearing age. By 2014, the abortion rate was 14.6 per 1,000 women aged 15-44. That’s the lowest rate ever recorded.
Did the Abortion Rate Drop Because of Obamacare?

Seems to me, that if one is pro-life, this would be good news. But all I hear from the right is that it's bad news. Seems inconsistent with their professed anti-abortion beliefs.

For me, it's another reason to favor Joe Biden over people who profess to be pro-life, but deplore the reduction in abortion rates under Obama/Biden.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yes, we get the selective outrage and denial. But you still haven't called up a pro-life group and offered to help, have you?

The results count. It's one reason that Biden's work in restoring America is favored by a large majority of Americans.

He still supports killing babies. He isn’t a moral hero, especially for Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So how did Obama/Biden do with abortion? There is some data...

The abortion rate has fallen to historic lows since the advent of Roe vs. Wade, according to a report from the Guttmacher Institute. Predictably, the reason for the decline is the subject of much political debate. Research, however, suggests that the Affordable Care Act played a role.

The report found that abortion rates declined in every region of the United States between 2011-2014, with an overall decline of 14 percent. Abortion rates dropped in all but six states, declining by an average of 3-6 percent per year.

In 2013, the abortion rate fell below a million for the first time since the 1970s. This change comes in spite of growing numbers of women of childbearing age. By 2014, the abortion rate was 14.6 per 1,000 women aged 15-44. That’s the lowest rate ever recorded.
Did the Abortion Rate Drop Because of Obamacare?

Seems to me, that if one is pro-life, this would be good news. But all I hear from the right is that it's bad news. Seems inconsistent with their professed anti-abortion beliefs.

For me, it's another reason to favor Joe Biden over people who profess to be pro-life, but deplore the reduction in abortion rates under Obama/Biden.
If one is pro-life, they shouldn’t support a president that wants to fund abortions.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If one is pro-life, they shouldn’t support a president that wants to fund abortions.

If one is pro-life they should support a president, who served on an administration that significantly reduced abortions.

Depending, of course, on whether talk or action is more persuasive for one. If it's a political football, and one really doesn't care about lives saved, maybe it wouldn't be that way.

Most Americans seem to put results over talk. Which is why Biden has such high approval rates, relative to... well, you know.

The Biden administration pushed hard to increase immunization in time to blunt the spike in infections due to states opening up. It appears to have worked, and feared spike doesn't seem to have happened:

(May 5)
CDC projects a surge in U.S. Covid cases through May due to variants before vaccinations drive a ‘sharp decline’
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/05/cdc...t1point7-variant-before-a-sharp-decline-.html

And his push seems to have worked:
United States COVID: 34,200,971 Cases and 612,580 Deaths - Worldometer

New varients can always toss a wrench in things, but it appears that Biden's emphasis on getting as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible, worked as planned.

No wonder approval of his handling of the pandemic is so high.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If one is pro-life they should support a president, who served on an administration that significantly reduced abortions.
No. If they support abortion, they should be rejected. Good coming out of evil doesn’t make the evil good.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No. If they support abortion, they should be rejected.

You want to toss out the Supreme Court? Again, I'm inclined to look for results, not talk. And (due to the Affordable Care Act) abortions dropped markedly in the Obama/Biden administration. Results.

As you have seen, government isn't going to end abortion. It was going on before Roe vs. Wade. But due to better availability of medical care, and due to the efforts of private pro-life groups, the abortion rate is now lower than it was before Roe vs. Wade. And Biden is given credit for that by most Americans.

But it's really his work in restoring the economy and ending the pandemic that mostly accounts for his high approval rates.

While much of the world is now going through a new spike of infections, Biden's efforts to get more people vaccinated seems to have prevented that from happening.

Did Trump want to do that well? I think he did. But he had no idea how. It was just too much for him.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You want to toss out the Supreme Court? Again, I'm inclined to look for results, not talk. And (due to the Affordable Care Act) abortions dropped markedly in the Obama/Biden administration. Results.

As you have seen, government isn't going to end abortion. It was going on before Roe vs. Wade. But due to better availability of medical care, and due to the efforts of private pro-life groups, the abortion rate is now lower than it was before Roe vs. Wade. And Biden is given credit for that by most Americans.

But it's really his work in restoring the economy and ending the pandemic that mostly accounts for his high approval rates.

While much of the world is now going through a new spike of infections, Biden's efforts to get more people vaccinated seems to have prevented that from happening.

Did Trump want to do that well? I think he did. But he had no idea how. It was just too much for him.
Once again, If they support abortion, they should be rejected. Good coming out of evil doesn’t make the evil good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You want to toss out the Supreme Court? Again, I'm inclined to look for results, not talk.

Once again, If they support abortion, they should be rejected.

I prefer results, you prefer talk. But I don't think you're going to get the Supreme Court out of government any time soon. If you'd just realize that government isn't going to solve the problem, maybe you'd be willing to help us do something about it?

But as you learned, that's not a concern for the public as far as their strong approval of Biden is concerned. Rightfully so. Biden can't end abortion. But the Supreme Court could, at least as a Constitutional right. But of course, it's packed with Trump appointees, so don't hold your breath.

Last March...
Biden currently has a higher job approval rating than former President Donald Trump ever reached during his four years in the White House, according to Marist polling data. And support for Biden seems to be growing. In this latest poll, 52 percent of Americans said they had a favorable impression of him. That’s up from 41 percent in October 2019 in the midst of Trump’s first impeachment. Since then, Biden has inched up in favorability.
New poll shows how Biden’s approval ratings compare to Trump

Biden continues to inch up in popularity as the results of his policies come in. It's got republicans worried, as people compare Biden's charisma with the loopy QAnon devotees now running the republican party.

Republicans are increasingly concerned that the controversy over Rep. Marjorie Taylor Green (R-Ga.) could define the party and its candidates in the 2022 midterms, throwing a wrench in GOP efforts to recapture the support of suburban voters.

Democrats have already jumped on the outrage surrounding Greene. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee on Tuesday launched a six-figure ad campaign tying Republicans to the QAnon conspiracy theory, which Greene has voiced support for in the past, while Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) referred to Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) as “Q-CA” in a press release on Wednesday.
Republicans worry Greene could be drag on party in suburbs

Picture the average formerly loyal republican housewife in the suburbs, considering Greene's "Jewish Space Laser" fantasies. Might be a tough sell.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You want to toss out the Supreme Court? Again, I'm inclined to look for results, not talk.

I prefer results, you prefer talk. But I don't think you're going to get the Supreme Court out of government any time soon. If you'd just realize that government isn't going to solve the problem, maybe you'd be willing to help us do something about it?

But as you learned, that's not a concern for the public as far as their strong approval of Biden is concerned. Rightfully so. Biden can't end abortion. But the Supreme Court could, at least as a Constitutional right. But of course, it's packed with Trump appointees, so don't hold your breath.

Last March...
Biden currently has a higher job approval rating than former President Donald Trump ever reached during his four years in the White House, according to Marist polling data. And support for Biden seems to be growing. In this latest poll, 52 percent of Americans said they had a favorable impression of him. That’s up from 41 percent in October 2019 in the midst of Trump’s first impeachment. Since then, Biden has inched up in favorability.
New poll shows how Biden’s approval ratings compare to Trump

Biden continues to inch up in popularity as the results of his policies come in. It's got republicans worried, as people compare Biden's charisma with the loopy QAnon devotees now running the republican party.

Republicans are increasingly concerned that the controversy over Rep. Marjorie Taylor Green (R-Ga.) could define the party and its candidates in the 2022 midterms, throwing a wrench in GOP efforts to recapture the support of suburban voters.

Democrats have already jumped on the outrage surrounding Greene. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee on Tuesday launched a six-figure ad campaign tying Republicans to the QAnon conspiracy theory, which Greene has voiced support for in the past, while Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) referred to Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) as “Q-CA” in a press release on Wednesday.
Republicans worry Greene could be drag on party in suburbs

Picture the average formerly loyal republican housewife in the suburbs, considering Greene's "Jewish Space Laser" fantasies. Might be a tough sell.
Good coming out of evil doesn’t make the evil good.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Good coming out of evil doesn’t make the evil good.

No, it doesn't. If you could show me one good thing that came out of Trump, I'd acknowledge it. He's not really evil in the sense of wanting to hurt people wantonly; he only does it if they get in the way of his own needs.

And truth is, not everything he's done is evil. The reason it seems so, is that narcissists, whenever their image of themselves is threatened, become angry and vindictive and try to hurt people.

But this isn't about Trump. It's about why the American people approve of Biden's performance by a large margin. Maybe you could start a thread about how Donald Trump, once he decided to become a republican, suddenly repented of trying to get his mistress to have an abortion.

That would work. And then this thread could go on without Trump's variable abortion positions.

Upvote 0