Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Let’s say there’s a city with a high murder rate. And I’m able to determine which folks are most likely to commit murder, and I go full vigilante on the city, and take those people out. The murder rate drops dramatically.

Historically, in many places, police have tried this. It doesn't work.

Possibly because their ideas of who is likely to commit crimes were based on prejudice rather than rational consideration.

• Agree
Reactions: SilverBear
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Historically, in many places, police have tried this. It doesn't work.

Possibly because their ideas of who is likely to commit crimes were based on prejudice rather than rational consideration.
You missed the point.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You missed the point.

I know, they only applied it to minorities. But it turns out that it doesn't work for anyone. "Predictive policing" actually causes crime.

For the first story of their series, “Targeted,” they called on 15 experts to help them understand and interrogate the predictive policing program, which used a combination of information — arrest records and social networks, for example — to anticipate who was most likely to become a criminal. The Pasco County Sheriff’s Office aimed to prevent crime by continuously monitoring and harassing certain residents and their families, McGrory and Bedi reported.

They described deputies showing up at residences, often without a search warrant or evidence of a crime. Officers, they wrote, “swarm homes in the middle of the night, waking families and embarrassing people in front of their neighbors. They write tickets for missing mailbox numbers and overgrown grass, saddling residents with court dates and fines. They come again and again, making arrests for any reason they can.”

One former deputy told McGrory and Bedi that officers were directed to make people’s lives miserable “until they move or sue.” The series revealed the law enforcement agency targeted nearly 1,000 people over five years. At least 1 in 10 were younger than 18 years.
2 journalists uncover predictive policing project used to harass residents, profile kids

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I know, they only applied it to minorities. But it turns out that it doesn't work for anyone. "Predictive policing" actually causes crime.

For the first story of their series, “Targeted,” they called on 15 experts to help them understand and interrogate the predictive policing program, which used a combination of information — arrest records and social networks, for example — to anticipate who was most likely to become a criminal. The Pasco County Sheriff’s Office aimed to prevent crime by continuously monitoring and harassing certain residents and their families, McGrory and Bedi reported.

They described deputies showing up at residences, often without a search warrant or evidence of a crime. Officers, they wrote, “swarm homes in the middle of the night, waking families and embarrassing people in front of their neighbors. They write tickets for missing mailbox numbers and overgrown grass, saddling residents with court dates and fines. They come again and again, making arrests for any reason they can.”

One former deputy told McGrory and Bedi that officers were directed to make people’s lives miserable “until they move or sue.” The series revealed the law enforcement agency targeted nearly 1,000 people over five years. At least 1 in 10 were younger than 18 years.
2 journalists uncover predictive policing project used to harass residents, profile kids
This has nothing to do with that post.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just noting the selective outrage.

It’s not selective.

I may have missed you castigating Trump for his attempts to get a mistress to abort her child. But a quick look doesn't turn that up.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Just noting the selective outrage.

I may have missed you castigating Trump for his attempts to get a mistress to abort her child. But a quick look doesn't turn that up.
It had nothing to do with how he governed. Biden, on the other hand, wants to fund abortions.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It had nothing to do with how he governed.

It has to do with character. On the other hand, Biden refuses to be associated with abortions, and never pressured anyone to have them as Trump did. He's just accepted the decision of the Supreme Court on this issue, which is his Constitutional responsibility as president of the United States.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It has to do with character. On the other hand, Biden refuses to be associated with abortions, and never pressured anyone to have them as Trump did. He's just accepted the decision of the Supreme Court on this issue, which is his Constitutional responsibility as president of the United States.
He wants federal funding for abortions. I’d say that he wants to be associated.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
He wants federal funding for abortions.

What if he decided that immunizations were immoral and cut funding for immunizations? There are lots of stupid laws, but he's still obligated to follow them. The far right now believes that if they don't like a particular law, they can violate it as they like. Biden has always associated himself with the rule of law.

I’d say that he wants to be associated.

Which is what you want in a president.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What if he decided that immunizations were immoral and cut funding for immunizations? There are lots of stupid laws, but he's still obligated to follow them. The far right now believes that if they don't like a particular law, they can violate it as they like. Biden has always associated himself with the rule of law.

Which is what you want in a president.
You said he was moral because he never asked a woman to get an abortion. He wants to fund abortions. All the smoke and mirrors you keep throwing up are just that. You are trying to distract from the issue.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You said he was moral because he never asked a woman to get an abortion.

No. I pointed out that it's immoral to pressure a woman to have an abortion. If you haven't done that, it doesn't mean you're moral; it just means you aren't as low as passes for acceptable in the republican party.

You're trying to distract from the fact that under democrat administrations, abortions have declined more than they have in republican administrations, and that abortions have now fallen below the level that existed before Roe v. Wade.

Not because government solved the problem for us. Because we have been out there, solving it for ourselves. Those who pretend to care about it, tell us to wait for government to fix it for us.

But even when republicans controlled all three branches of government, they did nothing to stop it. If you're tired of waiting for government to do it, why not join us and actually do something about it? Find a local pro-life group and do something.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No. I pointed out that it's immoral to pressure a woman to have an abortion. If you haven't done that, it doesn't mean you're moral; it just means you aren't as low as passes for acceptable in the republican party.

You're trying to distract from the fact that under democrat administrations, abortions have declined more than they have in republican administrations, and that abortions have now fallen below the level that existed before Roe v. Wade.

Not because government solved the problem for us. Because we have been out there, solving it for ourselves. Those who pretend to care about it, tell us to wait for government to fix it for us.

But even when republicans controlled all three branches of government, they did nothing to stop it. If you're tired of waiting for government to do it, why not join us and actually do something about it? Find a local pro-life group and do something.
You are still trying to distract from the point that he wants to actually pay for abortions with tax dollars. That’s immoral.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You are still trying to distract from the point that he wants to actually pay for abortions with tax dollars.

That's what the Supreme Court ruled. It's lawful. And it ruled that religious objections against laws are not valid.

So if the Amish start a campaign to outlaw motor vehicles, that wouldn't work, either.

In the time of slavery, would it have been legal for a president to just stop enforcing the fugitive slave law? It was unquestionably immoral. Was John Brown justified in taking up arms against it? Or were abolitionist societies more "moral?"

When everyone gets to decide what laws he will follow and which he will ignore, we have anarchy. He swore to uphold the Constitution. So this is what he has to do.

You got a majority of conservatives on the SCOTUS. And yet, government still won't fix this. For some, it's just a convenient political ploy. Others are out there actually doing something about it. You've got a decision to make, I think.

And the American people realize how it is. A slight majority are now pro-life. But a large majority approves of Biden's work in restoring America. For obvious reasons.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That's what the Supreme Court ruled. It's lawful. And it ruled that religious objections against laws are not valid.

So if the Amish start a campaign to outlaw motor vehicles, that wouldn't work, either.

In the time of slavery, would it have been legal for a president to just stop enforcing the fugitive slave law? It was unquestionably immoral. Was John Brown justified in taking up arms against it? Or were abolitionist societies more "moral?"

When everyone gets to decide what laws he will follow and which he will ignore, we have anarchy. He swore to uphold the Constitution. So this is what he has to do.

You got a majority of conservatives on the SCOTUS. And yet, government still won't fix this. For some, it's just a convenient political ploy. Others are out there actually doing something about it. You've got a decision to make, I think.

And the American people realize how it is. A slight majority are now pro-life. But a large majority approves of Biden's work in restoring America. For obvious reasons.
You are still trying to distract from the point that this president who you think is moral wants to fund abortions with taxpayer dollars.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You are still trying to distract from the point that this president who you think is moral wants to fund abortions with taxpayer dollars.

As I showed you, government has almost no effect on this. If Biden is typical of democrat politicians abortions will decline ever further.

Which I realize is rotten for those who want to make it a political football, but good news for those of us who actually care about pro-life.

Pick your side.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Barbarian said:
As I showed you, government has almost no effect on this. If Biden is typical of democrat politicians abortions will decline ever further.

Which I realize is rotten for those who want to make it a political football, but good news for those of us who actually care about pro-life.

Pick your side.

Biden approval rating at 63% in new poll, buoyed by his handling of pandemic

You do know that the pandemic isn't about abortion, right?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The Barbarian said:

Pick your side.

You do know that the pandemic isn't about abortion, right?
Here’s what you said:

He's been a faithful husband. He hasn't sexually assaulted anyone. He pays his bills. He's never had to pay millions of dollars to people he defrauded. He's never mocked our fallen troops as "suckers" or "losers."

You act as if he’s this great guy. He’s not. He wants to use taxpayer money to fund abortions.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
He's been a faithful husband. He hasn't sexually assaulted anyone. He pays his bills. He's never had to pay millions of dollars to people he defrauded. He's never mocked our fallen troops as "suckers" or "losers."

You act as if he’s this great guy.

You see, this is the problem. For the far right, that is all that has to be, in order to be a "great guy." You set the bar way too low.

He might be a great guy. On a good day at least, he is. A letter he sent to a widow after his office sent a letter to her recently deceased husband:

Its letterhead was labeled “Joseph R. Biden, Jr., Wilmington, Delaware,” and the letter read:

Dear Mrs. Cooke,

Yesterday, your son Jason informed my press secretary that even though your husband passed away last fall, my office continues to send correspondence addressed to him. Mrs. Cooke, the only thing I can say is we screwed up and I sincerely apologize for causing you any additional pain.

As you may know, back in 1972, my wife and younger daughter were killed in a car accident, so even though I would never presume to know how you feel, I understand something of what it means to lose a spouse suddenly. For me, it went far beyond grief, to a kind of anger and guilt and sense of the world being turned upside down.

I often tell people who lose a loved one that the “firsts” are always the hardest — the first Christmas, the first birthday, the first anniversary. I know from my experience how little words can mean at such a time, but I know, as hard as it can be to believe, that time does heal. And I know, with faith and family to help, that you will reach that day of healing, when you can remember your husband and smile, with joy for what he shared with you and for his enduring spirit.

Again, I apologize for any additional pain we may have caused you.

With sympathy,

Joseph R. Biden, Jr.
United States Senator.
In fact, it appears that Biden has quietly sent countless condolence letters to the recently bereaved over the years.

Joe Biden’s 2002 Letter to Ruth Cooke

Can you picture Donald Trump sending a letter like that to someone he didn't know? I can't, either.

Upvote 0