Indiana
✟54,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Any cycling enthusiasts around? Road, MTB? What kind of bike do you have? I have a Gary Fisher Big Sur 2001, all parts American made. I've been sidelined for a while due to health problems but am chomping at the bit to ride. I thought some talk would help my separation anxiety. :sorry:

Reactions: bèlla

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder. I had them put on drop bars the day that I purchased it. (I call a mountain bike with drop bars the argali style.)

I use it for paved, dirt and gravel roads but not radical mountain riding. We have too much ice on our roads right now.

Between 2009 and the first week of 2020, I delivered the local free paper from a cargo trike; 10 miles, 2x/week. The last year was only 1x/week.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any cycling enthusiasts around? Road, MTB? What kind of bike do you have? I have a Gary Fisher Big Sur 2001, all parts American made. I've been sidelined for a while due to health problems but am chomping at the bit to ride. I thought some talk would help my separation anxiety. :sorry:

Bought a 29er from Growler bikes recently. Just waiting for weather to improve before trying it out. My wife and I are hoping to be moving to the Virginia Appalachians within the year and plan on MTBing there.
(From NYC).

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟323,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I have two Specialized bike I bought a few years before retiring. One is a cross bike that I turned more road-ish but since it's the more rugged bike and has front suspension I added different bars , a rear rack and side basket, changed out the multi task tire for 28x700c Kevlar tires ( no flats) for commuting to the store etc. I always start my year out on that or go to the store on that if to take a bike to the store.

The second is a road bike, I forget the model off hand but it's a relaxed fit road bike with 25x700c tires. Nice riding bike, actually beautiful riding bike.

At home for winter exercise I have a Shwinn recumbent stationary exercise bike that I use pretty regularly but admittedly should stretch my times out a bit lol. The thing has prompted me to think of turning in my bike for a recumbent 700c road trike but well, that hasn't happened yet. Ya know I'll be 71 next month, if I keep riding maybe I'll hit 81 or more still riding since the age of 6yo !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wandering misfit

Nowhere man
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2012
Indiana
✟54,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Bought a 29er from Growler bikes recently. Just waiting for weather to improve before trying it out. My wife and I are hoping to be moving to the Virginia Appalachians within the year and plan on MTBing there.
(From NYC).
I absolutely love 29ers, I once owned a Diamondback Response....great rollers. Sadly it was "borrowed" and not returned. I don't trust my neighborhood anymore. :doh:

Upvote 0

wandering misfit

Nowhere man
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2012
Indiana
✟54,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have two Specialized bike I bought a few years before retiring. One is a cross bike that I turned more road-ish but since it's the more rugged bike and has front suspension I added different bars , a rear rack and side basket, changed out the multi task tire for 28x700c Kevlar tires ( no flats) for commuting to the store etc. I always start my year out on that or go to the store on that if to take a bike to the store.

The second is a road bike, I forget the model off hand but it's a relaxed fit road bike with 25x700c tires. Nice riding bike, actually beautiful riding bike.

At home for winter exercise I have a Shwinn recumbent stationary exercise bike that I use pretty regularly but admittedly should stretch my times out a bit lol. The thing has prompted me to think of turning in my bike for a recumbent 700c road trike but well, that hasn't happened yet. Ya know I'll be 71 next month, if I keep riding maybe I'll hit 81 or more still riding since the age of 6yo !
Sweet. I have a few years to catch up with you in experience. My goal is to ride on until I'm in the dirt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I absolutely love 29ers, I once owned a Diamondback Response....great rollers. Sadly it was "borrowed" and not returned. I don't trust my neighborhood anymore. :doh:

That seems to be a common theme in many parts of the country. I know here in the city, stolen bikes are an everyday occurrence. I plan on trying my bike out in a new State Park built over a former toxic landfill and I'm needing to use a bike rack on my car for transporting, because I don't want to cycle to the park.
One cyclist was assaulted at a traffic light a few blocks from where I live a couple of weeks ago by a crazy pedestrian. I'm too old for this stuff.....

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a Specialized Roll Low Entry. I had my eye on a Cannondale but the dealer talked me into her. She's smooth and handles well. This is an odd area for riding. We have a track along the lake. Spring is best. Summer is a beast. The beach is full and accidents are common. They don't move out of the way.

I like the Dutch style bikes a lot. Call it nostalgia! But an e-Bike is practical and I'll probably get it before picking up the Dutch one.

~bella

Upvote 0

wandering misfit

Nowhere man
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2012
Indiana
✟54,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That seems to be a common theme in many parts of the country. I know here in the city, stolen bikes are an everyday occurrence. I plan on trying my bike out in a new State Park built over a former toxic landfill and I'm needing to use a bike rack on my car for transporting, because I don't want to cycle to the park.
One cyclist was assaulted at a traffic light a few blocks from where I live a couple of weeks ago by a crazy pedestrian. I'm too old for this stuff.....
Before I tore my rotator the only place I'd ride the Big Sur was at the city south of me with a couple of my oldest friends on trails. I've been riding a Huffy MTB here where I live.

Upvote 0

wandering misfit

Nowhere man
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2012
Indiana
✟54,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have a Specialized Roll Low Entry. I had my eye on a Cannondale but the dealer talked me into her. She's smooth and handles well. This is an odd area for riding. We have a track along the lake. Spring is best. Summer is a beast. The beach is full and accidents are common. They don't move out of the way.

I like the Dutch style bikes a lot. Call it nostalgia! But an e-Bike is practical and I'll probably get it before picking up the Dutch one.

~bella
My lil sister has what I'd call a beach cruiser, so she gave me the Huffy to help my cause :holy:. I've got a shed of bikes that need repaired or tweaked, things I've picked up but really didn't care for. My dad picked up a 29er somewhere that at first glance to him looked like a good deal. When he brought it home (we live together) I noticed someone took off the derailer and made it a fixie. I'll probably make that one Kosher to ride around town, it's a cheapie hybrid, but that's ok with me. :mountainbike:

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:mountainbike:
full
(You have to put an "r" at the end to get the emoji...)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a Specialized mountain bike with Armadillo road tires. I used it to commute when I lived in Seattle. My longest commute was from the south end of Mercer Island to Safeco insurance in the U district. The comedy was that if I took the bus to work (on heavy rain days) it took ten minutes longer. It was 45 minutes by bike.

I also have a trek butted carbon fiber 18 speed that I rode on the Seattle to Portland ride. I did that one about 15 times, 8 of them in one day. I bike commuted about 20 years. I'm getting ready to hit the road around me here in Rural KY later this month. I'm 67 so I attack it differently than I used to. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm slowly accumulating specialty tools for doing my own repairs too. In my former life I was a licensed electrician/ mechanic, so I have a background in a lot of the mechanical skills needed for competently repairing my own.
I'm hoping once I'm in Virginia I can setup my own repair shop in my garage. :) Not as a business, just as a hobby. I'll derive as much fun tinkering around as I do cycling.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
My lil sister has what I'd call a beach cruiser, so she gave me the Huffy to help my cause :holy:.

I wanted a cruiser too. I liked the look but they're not ideal for long rides. I went to a bike forum and did a lot of research before purchasing. They were really helpful.

A lot of people do what you're doing. Gather bikes and make tweaks. I think it's a neat hobby. :)

~bella

Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm slowly accumulating specialty tools for doing my own repairs too. In my former life I was a licensed electrician/ mechanic, so I have a background in a lot of the mechanical skills needed for competently repairing my own.
I'm hoping once I'm in Virginia I can setup my own repair shop in my garage. :) Not as a business, just as a hobby. I'll derive as much fun tinkering around as I do cycling.
My son is even more into biking than me (he used to be a bike messenger in downtown seattle on a single speed road bike with no brakes). I gave him my truing stand and now I just have to do it the poor man's way. :)

Upvote 0