Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This is not from Scripture, but I read a Reader's Digest article written by someone who survived by eating a friend's flesh. Everyone on a flight that crashed into a mountain in Peru knew the only way to survive is eat protein. With no source of protein on the plane, they spent half an hour debating this question: Would God want them to cannibilize for their own survival in this situation? Their reasoning was they are protein sources themselves biologically. They agreed He does and one man actually did it.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When cannibalism is mentioned, it is always about calamities.
The "You are temples of the Holy Spirit" part can be referred too since why would you eat someone made at the image of God?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If people can provide where it says explicitly in scripture not to eat another man post it here. Thanks!

Another biblical illiterate.
After the flood God permitted Noah and his descvendents to eat meat from clean animals.
in leveticus and dueteronomy there are lists of clean and unclean animals. They tak about animals, not people. People are made in the image of God and are therefore not animals.

in the nT there is Peter with his vission of a sheet full of unclean animals being told they are ok to eat..
Paul talks of animals sacrifices to demons and the problems this has for weak christians.

No where is in the bible any permission given for cannibalism.

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If people can provide where it says explicitly in scripture not to eat another man post it here. Thanks!

are you looking for a reason to say it’s wrong? I’m sorry but the Bible doesn’t spell out everything

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟760,777.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: GodLovesCats
Upvote 0

tranquil

Sep 29, 2011
with Charlie at the Chocolate Factory
✟272,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There is no rule against it, it is a punishment for apostasy
Lev 26
21“Then if you walk contrary to me and will not listen to me, I will continue striking you, sevenfold for your sins. 22And I will let loose the wild beasts against you, which shall bereave you of your children and destroy your livestock and make you few in number, so that your roads shall be deserted.

23“And if by this discipline you are not turned to me but walk contrary to me, 24then I also will walk contrary to you, and I myself will strike you sevenfold for your sins. 25And I will bring a sword upon you, that shall execute vengeance for the covenant. And if you gather within your cities, I will send pestilence among you, and you shall be delivered into the hand of the enemy. 26When I break your supply of bread, ten women shall bake your bread in a single oven and shall dole out your bread again by weight, and you shall eat and not be satisfied.

27“But if in spite of this you will not listen to me, but walk contrary to me, 28then I will walk contrary to you in fury, and I myself will discipline you sevenfold for your sins. 29You shall eat the flesh of your sons, and you shall eat the flesh of your daughters. 30And I will destroy your high places and cut down your incense altars and cast your dead bodies upon the dead bodies of your idols, and my soul will abhor you. 31And I will lay your cities waste and will make your sanctuaries desolate, and I will not smell your pleasing aromas. 32And I myself will devastate the land, so that your enemies who settle in it shall be appalled at it. 33And I will scatter you among the nations, and I will unsheathe the sword after you, and your land shall be a desolation, and your cities shall be a waste.​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Cannibalism is mentioned several times in Scripture (Leviticus 26:29; Deuteronomy 28:53-57; Jeremiah 19:9; Lamentations 2:20; 4:10; Ezekiel 5:10), but in each case, the practice is regarded as a horrible curse and inhuman act of desperation. Moses and other prophets predicted that, if the Israelites forsook God, they would fall into such awful degradation as to cannibalize their own children. These harrowing prophecies were fulfilled during the siege of Samaria during the reign of King Jehoram (2 Kings 6:28-29). Cannibalism was the physical horror which accompanied the spiritual horror of apostasy.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looking at the context every time its mentioned, I would say it is frowned upon to do so.

Then why not explicitly state as much?
It is, if you look at the grammar. Look at Noahs account. God said that he could eat the animals, but people are not mentioned.

When you look at the prophetic accounts, it is used as a negative use. As an abominable thing. A punishment that should otherwise not be happening.

Many Christians would still consider us, in a mean sense, animals.

That's because they are confused. They need further study, and don't know the gravity of what they are thinking. They are basically calling God an animal when you think about the scripture where God makes us in His image. We are not animals. Animals do not have "will". They are based of instinct not will.

There are other scriptures in the NT that reference how birds have all they need, and then tells the disciples how much more they are valued over the birds, and will meet their needs. Placing animals under humans.

Furthermore, God had humans have dominion over all the animals in the creation accounts.

No, I would not classify us as animals.

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hey. Let's just take a moment to distinguish between cannibals who kill to eat and cannibals who eat those who died of incidental causes, okay? Maybe the OP just wants to know if their recently departed mother can be put on the menu? Judge not, bigots.

In all seriousness, though, those dudes from Peru only ate their friends after the friends had already frozen/starved to death. Yes, I'm bringing this up partly just to satisfy my own dark sense of humor, but I also think eating someone who died of other causes for the sake of your own survival is substantially different from purposely killing and eating them. Still gross. Still disrespectful of the departed. Still wouldn't do it unless I had to. But not on the same moral plane.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hey. Let's just take a moment to distinguish between cannibals who kill to eat and cannibals who eat those who died of incidental causes, okay? Maybe the OP just wants to know if their recently departed mother can be put on the menu? Judge not, bigots.

In all seriousness, though, those dudes from Peru only ate their friends after the friends had already frozen/starved to death. Yes, I'm bringing this up partly just to satisfy my own dark sense of humor, but I also think eating someone who died of other causes for the sake of your own survival is substantially different from purposely killing and eating them. Still gross. Still disrespectful of the departed. Still wouldn't do it unless I had to. But not on the same moral plane.
I feel that it could be an necessary evil that would require confession anyways.

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think it is different. I heard a similar story on the Lore podcast this week.

Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
One of the reasons i feel kind of squicky about Christianity is because of the cannibalism aspect. Communion rituals. The idea of pretending to eat jesus’ flesh and blood is revolting

Upvote 0