Seattle
✟18,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Recently (within the past year) I have found myself in a pit of nostalgia, mainly looking back at the goodness of my college days rooming with my two best friends and all of our escapades. But I also look back at my life at the simpler times. I miss my college, the smell of the library on campus, the voices of my professors, my parents house, my friends and hometown. I realize how “girly” this sounds of a male since we are known to be the tougher of the sexes but I miss all these things dearly, so much so that when I see something slightly resembling or reminding of my college days I instantly find myself daydreaming about it but also becoming extremely sorrowful that such good times will never come again (until we are called Home and even greater so then). John Piper describes his experience of looking back at college a “painful pleasure” and that when nostalgia becomes something that blinds us from looking forward, we are commuting wrong against God. How does one who is a slave to nostalgia fight such feelings?

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
To some degree, unchecked nostalgia can be related to the sin of Lot's wife.
In Luke 17, Jesus describes what His second coming will be like and warns His disciples to "remember Lot's wife." Jesus couches this warning in a context of two other warnings: be prepared to leave the things of this world behind, and second, whoever seeks to save his life will lose it.
Luke 17:28-31
“It was the same as happened in the days of Lot: they were eating, they were drinking, they were buying, they were selling, they were planting, they were building; but on the day that Lot went out from Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all. “It will be just the same on the day that the Son of Man is revealed. “On that day, the one who is on the housetop and whose goods are in the house must not go down to take them out; and likewise the one who is in the field must not turn back. “Remember Lot’s wife. “Whoever seeks to keep his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it.
I think we need to be able to look back, not so much with longing, but with a gratitude that looks forward to infinitely greater blessings when Jesus comes for us at last. Undue attachment to this world could leave us unprepared for the next.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There's a striking illustration of this in the Harry Potter story. An object called the Mirror of Erised (desire as appeared reflected in a mirror) does not show your face but your heart's desire except for a perfectly happy person. But some people are so enamoured by their desire that they spend all their days staring into what was or could be, instead of making the most of what is actual reality.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Recently (within the past year) I have found myself in a pit of nostalgia, mainly looking back at the goodness of my college days rooming with my two best friends and all of our escapades. But I also look back at my life at the simpler times. I miss my college, the smell of the library on campus, the voices of my professors, my parents house, my friends and hometown. I realize how “girly” this sounds of a male since we are known to be the tougher of the sexes but I miss all these things dearly, so much so that when I see something slightly resembling or reminding of my college days I instantly find myself daydreaming about it but also becoming extremely sorrowful that such good times will never come again (until we are called Home and even greater so then). John Piper describes his experience of looking back at college a “painful pleasure” and that when nostalgia becomes something that blinds us from looking forward, we are commuting wrong against God. How does one who is a slave to nostalgia fight such feelings?

It's not uncommon for us to remember things in our past ... some fond memories ... some ... not so much. All our experiences in life to a certain degree makes up who we are as a person. When I look back on my past I thank the Lord He got me through it! He put many good people in my life .... sure I had struggles here and there (still do) ... but He has always been (and is) faithful in helping me along. Thank you Jesus!

Unless remembering the past is obsessive .... I don't see a negative side to it.

The main focus should indeed be on Him and looking forward to His return ... the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned ;o) and ... will happen in His perfect timing. ;o)

• Winner
Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very sound, Eleos! One needs to enjoy the 'good ole days', as the saying goes, but not dwell on it; and ignore the bad experiences as just the pains of early life. Let us thank God for lessons learned; and especially the lessons in our Holy Bible about a new life in Jesus Christ. There are even greater joys and blessings, when true "born again" saints (John 3; John 14) go up to Heaven. We need to be very SURE of our new life in Christ (Galatians 2:20; Galatians 5:24; and the Bible Epistle: 1 Jn. 5:10-12 ---and let us read our Bible daily. That gives us much joy now as we walk with our Lord Jesus here in this world.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I would simply do my best to see the good in what's around you at present, with new eyes.

At one point in my life after my children were grown I didn't know what meaning my life had at that point because since I was a kid myself my kids were my life, and without them I didn't know who I was exactly.

I found hobbies, things to occupy my mind and ways to just have joy and pleasure in life alone..

You're experiencing adulthood for the first time but likely, feel somewhat lost in it much like I felt a little lost in life without children anymore.

So do what helps you look forward instead of back. Find hobbies, freinds, a circle of now that occupies your mind and time. Embrace the freedom of being an adult and find the joy in it, because there is joy...

Pray to God to help you adjust... He will help you. He's big on living in the now, or He wouldn't tell us not to worry about the future... :)

Upvote 0

ISteveB

Sep 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

A longing for easier--- or perceived easier times is part of the human condition.....

Nostalgia is a rather curious thing because it convinces you things were better than they actually were, and it's only the "good times" we remember. But a closer look at them exposes some of the pain that actually existed.
There's a passage which rebukes nostalgia as a lie.
Ecclesiastes 7:10

Do not say,
“Why were the former days better than these?”
For you do not inquire wisely concerning this.

Paul tells us--- forgetting the things which are behind, and pressing forward to the upward call of God, in Christ. Philippians 3:12-16

Here's a search on this idea, and the importance of letting go of the past.
Don’t long for the ‘good old days - Google Search.

From a personal perspective--- I've learned over the years, there's nothing I've ever been able to do to go back, and fix the things I screwed up when I was younger.

Paul tells us in Romans 8:28 that God will cause all things to work together for the good of those who love God, and are the called according to His purposes.

I.e., he's going to bring good out of what we did before.

Come follow Jesus, and let go of the past. It's not as great as it wants you to feel it is.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We hardly learn anything from our good times. Its the difficult times that teaches and perfects us.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

First, I don't think your sentiments are "girly" at all. I think they're very normal and understandable for any person.

You aren't a slave to these thoughts, my friend. When you find yourself beginning to go back to these memories, make a conscious effort to STOP that thread of thoughts in its tracks. It might help to have some other positive, pleasant thing ready at hand to use as a distraction. It could be another happy memory, or it could be something you have planned coming up in the future; a trip, an ambition, a hobby.

I can relate to your struggle on a deep level. I miss the days that seem so simple and wholesome in retrospect. The world was wide-open and ripe with possibility, college was an intellectual playground, full of opportunities to soak up knowledge. I still vividly remember the campus, the bus ride, the classrooms, the exciting feel of it all. I think your feelings are very, very understandable.

Try setting a goal in front of yourself, to give you something new to focus on. Something enjoyable. A new hobby, perhaps. Take another college glass just for fun. Or a trip to see a place you've always wanted to see. Give yourself something new to delight in for the future!

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i do know what you mean; but i think that the reason things seemed better in the past is because i was much more ignorant of how bad things actually were back then in this fallen world - what works for me is to get up and find something selfless to do to help someone else :)

Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums