Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I came across this video, and it gives a beautiful visual illustration of Justice, enjoy!

One of the things I like about this website is the opportunity to interact with people and in this case a video that approach things from a perspective different than my own, so I can freshly challenge what I have believed and examine it afresh.

I have always believed we are to "do to others as we would want done to us" and to "love our neighbor as ourselves", so if we would do something for our own, we should be doing it for others who can't help themselves.

I don't believe it is the "being declared righteous" that motivates us, though, as they seem to suggest near the end--if I understood them correctly. If nothing supernatural happened, we would be just as incapable of doing good as we were before, just appreciative that God declared us righteous.

Upvote 0

Mr.bumblebee

Feb 4, 2018
USA
✟16,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I write this hesitantly, because words can be so easily misunderstood. I found parts of the video agreeable, and parts... less educating. As I stated before, words by themselves can be easily misread, and misunderstood; so I want to say clearly that it was a well done video.

That said, biblical justice covers a broad spectrum of topics. The video, though well done for a condensed version, blurred lines in order to push its own point of view. Its hard not to do that though when cover a large topic, covered throughout the Bible, in a 6ish minute video.

First off, the I cant find anywhere in the bible where God told Abraham "to teach his descendants the way of The Lord, by doing righteousness and justice" Now we could infer that from Abraham's character and qualities, but flawed at its end. If someone can find this passage, I'd like to know.

Next, God told Abraham (Genesis 15:13-14) that his descendants would be slaves in a country not there own, but it would end in there betterment. In Exodus, God did not just "confront Egypt's evil." He sent Moses and Aaron to fulfill his promise to Abraham, and the refusal of the Pharaoh (Exodus 7:14) God sent judgments, each one followed with a path of surrender.

Yes, God spoke to the people of Israel about social justice, and personal justice; AFTER, after they had rejected him in favor of following other gods and being like the nations God had actually told them to wipe out. His prophets didn't just "Declared Israel guilty." He sent them to warn them that they were abandoning Him, and the consequences. Not just of consequences, but of His desire for them and His forgiveness if they returned.

The biggest issue I have with the video where they declare that Jesus came to solve injustice. I would simply like to point out that Jesus died for our sins; our wrongs committed against God. Yes, some of that would include our wrongdoings against each other, something going on since Abel; but Jesus did not die for earthly justice, rather the eternal justice that declared this world and all in it to be "guilty".

Getting off my soap box now. I'd love to discuss with anyone that disagrees with me. Overall, I still think the video was well done and serves the purpose it was created to.

Upvote 0

Howard Beale

Aug 9, 2017
Baltimore MD
✟22,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you Mr. bumblebee. I too am a very new member and as a word nut I too hate the misrepresentation of the words and teachings of the Holy Bible.

Twitter-like condensations of biblical teachings are seriously harmful. I do not think that the Bible Project authors set out to purposefully harm the words and teachings, I simply think they are victims of the times where metaphysical teachings can be twitterized. Why not twitterize Nietzsche, tumblrize Freud, Dr. Seussize Shakespeare!!!.

The most revealing aspect of the video is that it quotes the Bible but nowhere does it quote the words and teachings of Jesus. There is a very real reason for that should one take the time to study the words and teachings of the Divine incarnate.

With love,
Howard

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟32,040.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
First off, the I cant find anywhere in the bible where God told Abraham "to teach his descendants the way of The Lord, by doing righteousness and justice" Now we could infer that from Abraham's character and qualities, but flawed at its end. If someone can find this passage, I'd like to know.
Genesis 18:19

Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟32,040.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
:wave:The greatest injustice done was done to Christ.. this for our sake. The systems meant to bring a sense of wholeness to humanity... political, religious, social and I'd venture to say economic was so unjust that it crucified an innocent God/man. It needed redemption.

Upvote 0