Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello. I was brought up Southern Baptist and I still have like the denomination, but I don't know if I can really call myself a Baptist anymore as there are some things I disagree with, such as biblical inerrancy and the ordinances.

I do believe that the Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit and is therefore useful in all matters regarding salvation, teaching, etc. However, I think it is important that we consider that the writers also did not know as much about our world as we do now, and a lot of theological views (such as not allowing female pastors) could have been part of a cultural reason that was relevant to the ancient Mediterranean, but does not apply to us in today's Western society. I think that though the Bible is inspired and can show us the way to salvation, there were political and other not-so-justifiable reasons for why certain books and verses are a certain way. I don't know if I'm explaining it well, but my view of the Bible is closer to the conservative Quaker stance. I'm just wondering if being a Baptist requires a belief in biblical inerrancy.

As for the ordinances, I'm somewhere in the middle. I agree with Quakers that the ritual observance of them aren't strictly necessary, and that they are more spiritual in nature. However, I don't necessarily think it is wrong to practice water baptism or actually drink the grape juice and eat bread. If the ordinances have to be practiced, then I agree with the Baptist view.

Reactions: Sarah G

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do believe that the Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit and is therefore useful in all matters regarding salvation, teaching, etc. However, I think it is important that we consider that the writers also did not know as much about our world as we do now
If the bible is useful for teaching, rebuking and training in rightousness why do you have a problem with todays cultral issues that go against the bibles teaching?

And a question for you.

Do you still attend church each week?

• Agree
Reactions: JES1023
Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello. I was brought up Southern Baptist and I still have like the denomination, but I don't know if I can really call myself a Baptist anymore as there are some things I disagree with, such as biblical inerrancy and the ordinances.

I do believe that the Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit and is therefore useful in all matters regarding salvation, teaching, etc. However, I think it is important that we consider that the writers also did not know as much about our world as we do now, and a lot of theological views (such as not allowing female pastors) could have been part of a cultural reason that was relevant to the ancient Mediterranean, but does not apply to us in today's Western society. I think that though the Bible is inspired and can show us the way to salvation, there were political and other not-so-justifiable reasons for why certain books and verses are a certain way. I don't know if I'm explaining it well, but my view of the Bible is closer to the conservative Quaker stance. I'm just wondering if being a Baptist requires a belief in biblical inerrancy.

As for the ordinances, I'm somewhere in the middle. I agree with Quakers that the ritual observance of them aren't strictly necessary, and that they are more spiritual in nature. However, I don't necessarily think it is wrong to practice water baptism or actually drink the grape juice and eat bread. If the ordinances have to be practiced, then I agree with the Baptist view.

[QUOTE/]I do believe that the Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit and is therefore useful in all matters regarding salvation, teaching, etc./ but I don't know if I can really call myself a Baptist anymore as there are some things I disagree with, such as biblical inerrancy and the ordinances.[/QUOTE]

These two statement you made contradict each other. You say you believe the bible is inspired and then you say you don't agree there are no errors in it and also disagree with baptism and the Lord's supper. So you are wanting to take what you agree with and not observe the other parts. How do you understand this verse from Ps 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light to my path. And this one, Ps 119;89 forever, O Lord, your word is settled in heaven.

Upvote 0

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
If the bible is useful for teaching, rebuking and training in rightousness why do you have a problem with todays cultral issues that go against the bibles teaching?

And a question for you.

Do you still attend church each week?

Well, I’m torn on many issues such as homosexuals being ordained and marrying in churches as I see both sides. I attend church every other week because of family reasons, though if I could, I’d go every week.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, I’m torn on many issues such as homosexuals being ordained and marrying in churches as I see both sides. I attend church every other week because of family reasons, though if I could, I’d go every week.

Yes modern cultral issues being imposed on the bible.

The bibles teaching on sex is crystal clear. Sex is for men and women who are married to each other.
That is the only form of sex that gets biblical approval.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Faithful Pilgrim, have you checked out the American Baptist Convention? I believe your theological views would be a better fit there, than the Southern Baptist Convention. Jimmy Carter left the Southern Baptist Convention years ago and joined the American Baptist Convention, because of his commitment to human rights and disagreeing with the churches stances on some of the issues you raise.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

However, I think it is important that we consider that the writers also did not know as much about our world as we do now, and a lot of theological views (such as not allowing female pastors) could have been part of a cultural reason that was relevant to the ancient Mediterranean, but does not apply to us in today's Western society.

Women had various service and teaching roles in the early church, but not being the 'head' of a congregation.

Upvote 0

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Faithful Pilgrim, have you checked out the American Baptist Convention? I believe your theological views would be a better fit there, than the Southern Baptist Convention. Jimmy Carter left the Southern Baptist Convention years ago and joined the American Baptist Convention, because of his commitment to human rights and disagreeing with the churches stances on some of the issues you raise.

I have, yes. There is a church not far from where I live that I suspect is part of the American Baptist Churches, although I’m not sure. I’m also looking into the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship which broke away from the SBC over issues like inerrancy, women in the ministry, etc. They’re still fairly conservative regarding homosexuality, although they led local congregations decide their own policies on ordaining homosexuals and marrying them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That may be true why he left, but it is also true that the party he was president of is also the same party that endorses abortion, same-sex marriage and the infiltration of illegal aliens safe harbor. So I don't think on those accounts that he is missed by a lot of Southern Baptist.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you deny Biblical inerrancy, your problem is not with the Southern Baptist Convention, it is with God.

Can God speak to us without error or not?

If you believe that there are errors in the Bible, then you have created a god in your own image.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

If as you say, the Bible is Inerrant, then if one part is wrong, or not true, then NONE of it can be trusted as Truth. ....Then your very Salvation falls into doubt.

Simple question, when God gave Moses the knowledge of how He wanted the Temple built, and that Arron would be the High Priest, why didn't God at that time allow or institute an order of women in the Priesthood?

It isn't based on what Paul wrote, it's based on what God wanted and didn't want.

We as the Church, regardless of Denomination, are to change the world, but what is happening is, the world is changing the Church.

There isn't one practicing Homosexual, who can call himself a Christian, because being so, is a direct contradiction of what Christianity teaches.

• Agree
Reactions: Applekrate
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Inerrancy does tnot mean there are no problems with text variation and certain questionable practices. It upholds that none of the Bible's core doctrines and histories are effected by them. Baptist are a pretty diverse spectrum of views. Most doctrinal statements will simply tell you where they stand. I've never seen a believe in inerrancy linked to salvation as a core conviction.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

We as the Church, regardless of Denomination, are to change the world, but what is happening is, the world is changing the Church.

If true then "the gates of hell" are prevailing against the church and Jesus was wrong. Matthew 16:18

Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are led by the inerrancy of God through the Holy Spirit, not the bible. John 16:13

How can one be led by the Holy Spirit apart from His word? Besides scripture plainly teaches that all truths of the bible are inspired by the Holy Spirit and are what guides the believers in their walk and growth. They will never pass away and Isaiah 55 says they prosper where God sends them to prosper and do not return unto Him void. What does Jesus say in John 6:61-63 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, “Does this offend you? 62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God Rom 10:17; Ps 119:24 Your testimonies also are my delight And my counselors. Ps 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path. Notice the importance of the word of God. The Holy Spirit illuminates the word to the spirit of the believers for without Him we can do nothing. For through Him(Jesus) we both(Jew and Gentiles) have access by one Spirit unto the Father. Eph 2:18

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How can one be led by the Holy Spirit apart from His word? Besides scripture plainly teaches that all truths of the bible are inspired by the Holy Spirit and are what guides the believers in their walk and growth. They will never pass away and Isaiah 55 says they prosper where God sends them to prosper and do not return unto Him void. What does Jesus say in John 6:61-63 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, “Does this offend you? 62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

True, the Spirit guides our understanding of the Word, but more insight is needed for Christian living today. The bible doesn't address every situation. In fact the bible is virtually silent on many of the major problems we face, thus the need for the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we think about it being difficult today, would one really conclude that in the early church days, they had it a lot easier than we do, after all they were executed for accepting Jesus, cut into, feed to the lions, and beaten and crucified, rejected by their parents just to name a few of their hindrances. The word of God is good for all occasions, Rom 8:28 and we know that all things work together for good to those who love God to those who are the called according to His purpose. Surely one cannot believe that God's word is not sufficient for His children in all ages. He is the Lord Almighty and there is nothing He does not know, He is not learning anything new, He knows everything that happened and will happen before it happens. What problems are we talking about that needs further guidance? 1John4:4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If true then "the gates of hell" are prevailing against the church and Jesus was wrong. Matthew 16:18
That is true, however, Jesus did say HIS CHURCH, that is not the Denominational mess we call a Church in Protestantism, nor is it what some believe to be the One Holy and Apostolic Church.

Therefore if what I have said is in fact true, then what the"The Gates of Hell" are prevailing against surely cannot be the Church Jesus said HE would Build, can it, otherwise not only would He be wrong, but a lire to boot.

Jesus is never wrong, it's only us who DON"T understand what HIS CHURCH actually is.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
True, the Spirit guides our understanding of the Word, but more insight is needed for Christian living today.
Solomon had this to say about that.

Ecc1:9
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

The bible doesn't address every situation.
If as you say, the Bible does not address every situation, then God must not have been aware of the things that would happen in this age, that would mean God is impotent.

In fact the bible is virtually silent on many of the major problems we face, thus the need for the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
What are some of the major problems you speak of, we face today, that the Holy Spirit cannot use the Bible to Teach, Guide and bring to our Remembrance?

• Agree
Upvote 0