Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I recommend you watch the video.

Time stamp: 4:15
Luke claims after the birth of Jesus, they returned to Nazareth thirty-two days later, after the rites of purification. Matthew claims the Jesus went with his parents to Egypt.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Luke claims after the birth of Jesus, they returned to Nazareth thirty-two days later, after the rites of purification. Matthew claims the Jesus went with his parents to Egypt.
Why is that a contradiction?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yes. You are making an argument (or attempting to) so you should do more than post an video and give some references. You should state why it’s a contradiction between the texts.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes. You are making an argument (or attempting to) so you should do more than post an video and give some references. You should state why it’s a contradiction between the texts.
It's self explanatory.

However, you have unwittingly answered my question already. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It's self explanatory.

However, you have unwittingly answered my question already. Thanks.
If it’s so self-explanatory then it should be easy for you to post the texts and explain why it’s a contradiction.

Obviously you are more clever than I. So this should be simple for one such as you.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If it’s so self-explanatory then it should be easy for you to post the texts and explain why it’s a contradiction.

Obviously you are more clever than I. So this should be simple for one such as you.

Egypt and Nazareth are not the same location.

• Haha
Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I think this link provides an adequate summary and response to the video's claim of the alleged contradiction which you cite. Like the proverbial blind men describing what an elephant is like, all the small details must first be considered before claiming that there are contradictions in the whole.
Responses to Bismikaallahuma : Did Jesus, Mary and Joseph go to Egypt or to Nazareth?

• Agree
Reactions: Chriliman
Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Respectfully, did you actually read the article itself? It references the scriptures and provides adequate explanation based upon the scriptures in question. If you have not done so, you may want to read it since you brought up the initial query.
I did read it. That's why I asked the question.

"Joseph and Mary went to Jerusalem to present the new born infant in the temple. From there, they went back to their home in Nazareth. A short time later, the holy family decided to return to Joseph's ancestral hometown and Jesus' birthplace, namely Bethlehem in Judea. This is where Matthew picks up. When the Magi found the child Jesus, he was already up to two years old. Being told in a dream about Herod's desire to kill the child, Joseph left his home and took his family to Egypt until the death of Herod. Fearing that Herod's son Archelaus would search them out if they returned to Bethlehem, the holy family once again returned to Nazareth and settled there."

This explanation puts Jesus in Bethlehem two times, two years apart.

The article would have us believe that:

Joseph and Mary travel to Bethlehem. Jesus is born. Thirty-two days later, Jesus receives rites of purification. J,M & baby Jesus then return to Nazareth. Sometime during the next two years they return to Bethlehem. Afraid Herod might kill toddler Jesus, they flee to Egypt.

Upvote 0