Biblical art # 2 - The restoration For Judah and Israel

Russ Campbell

An ounce of faith overcomes a ton of fear!
Site Supporter
Mar 12, 2017
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟92,521.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
INTRODUCTION TO ZECHARIAH
The prophet Zechariah lived at the same time as Haggai and was interested in the same effort to induce the Jews to carry on the rebuilding of their neglected Temple. The prophecies are dated a few years later than those of Haggai. In contrast to the direct and simple language of Haggai, Zechariah employs many figures and symbols to enforce his message. He especially wished to give encouragement and help to the leader and governor of the people, Zerubbabel, and the priest Joshua.
In the latter part of the book there are many pictures of the glorious and happy future, which God had in store for His people and of the Deliverer, who was to come to rule over them. There will come a great day “when the Lord shall be King over all the earth.”

The Restoration for Judah and Israel
Zec 10:1 Ask for rain from the LORD at the time of the spring rain. It is the LORD who makes the thunder clouds; And He will give them showers of rain, grass in the field to everyone.
Zec 10:2 For the teraphim (household idols) speak wickedness (emptiness, worthlessness), And the diviners see lying visions And tell false dreams; They comfort in vain. Therefore the people wander like sheep, They are afflicted and suffer because there is no shepherd.
Zec 10:3 "My anger is kindled against the shepherds [who are not true shepherds], And I shall punish the male goats (leaders); For the LORD of hosts has visited His flock, the house of Judah (the Southern Kingdom), And will make them like His beautiful and majestic horse in the battle. [Eze_34:1-10]
Zec 10:4 "From them (Judah) shall come the Cornerstone, From them the tent peg, From them the bow of battle, From them every ruler, all of them together. [Jer_30:21]
Zec 10:5 "They will be like mighty men Trampling down their enemies in the mire of the streets in the battle; And they will fight because the LORD is with them, And the [enemies'] riders on horses will be shamed.
Zec 10:6 "I will strengthen the house of Judah [making it superior], And I will save the house of Joseph. I will bring them back [and allow them to live securely], Because I have had compassion on them. They will be as though I had not rejected them, For I am the LORD their God, and I will listen and answer them.
Zec 10:7 "Then Ephraim will be like a mighty warrior, And their heart will rejoice as if from wine; Yes, their children will see it and rejoice; Their heart will rejoice and shout triumphantly in the LORD.
Zec 10:8 "I will whistle for them and gather them together, For I have redeemed them; And they will increase [again] as they have increased before [in Egypt]. [Eze_36:10-11]
Zec 10:9 "When I scatter them among the nations, They will remember Me in far countries, And with their children they will live and come back [to Me and the land I gave them].
Zec 10:10 "I will bring them (all Israel) back home again from the land of Egypt And gather them from Assyria, And I will bring them into the land of Gilead and Lebanon [the land on the east and on the west of the Jordan] Until no room can be found for them.
Zec 10:11 "And they will pass through the sea of distress and anxiety [with the LORD leading His people, as at the Red Sea] And He will strike the waves in the sea, So that all the depths of the Nile will dry up; And the pride of Assyria will be brought down And the scepter [of the taskmasters] of Egypt will pass away.
Zec 10:12 "And I will strengthen Israel in the LORD, And they will walk [and glory] in His name," declares the LORD.

Restoration+of+Israel+&+Judah+to+Await+the+Messiah+(Jeremiah+30-31).jpg

Zechariah 9:9-10:12
A LOWLY DELIVERER BRINGS PEACE
Jesus must be King first, then Savior. He is lowly; His steed is not the richly caparisoned warhorse, but the humble ass; He needs no weapon to overthrow His foes, because as Priest He speaks peace. The peasantry had taken shelter in the rock hewn mountain cisterns; but they might cherish hope, because they had been redeemed by the blood of the covenant, and God would see to it that that redemption was made effective. Before the advent of the King, the prison-doors would open, and at His word the imprisoned should go forth. How great are His goodness and beauty!
In Zec_10:1-12 we have a reference to the successful stand made by Judas Maccabaeus and his brethren against Antiochus. They were to tread them down as the mire of the streets; Joseph and Judah would be reunited and after their far-spread sowing over the world, the scattered tribes would ultimately return as bees to the call of the bee-farmer.

Food for thought:

REVIEW QUESTIONS ON ZECHARIAH
Outline
(a) What visions did Zechariah see and what did they concern?
(b) What is the consummation of the prophecy?
Introduction
(c) To what period of Jewish history does this prophecy belong?
(d) What other prophet was contemporary with Zechariah?
(e) What contrast may be noted as to style in the writing of these prophets?
(f) What is the main theme in the book of Zechariah?
Zechariah 1-14
Each question applies to the paragraph of corresponding number in the Comments.
1. What warning does the prophet see in God’s dealing with the former generation?
2. What promises of redemption and protection are given to Jerusalem?
3. What does God expect from those whom He purifies?
4. How was Zerubbabel encouraged to persevere? What work was he engaged in?
5. What sins were recorded upon the “flying roll?”
6. What two offices was the man whose name is “The Branch” to occupy? In whose person are these two offices united?
7. What questions were asked regarding the duty of fasting? What does the prophet imply is of more importance than the outward act?
8. Name some of the blessings which are to accompany Jerusalem’s restoration?
9. What would ultimately become of the fasts about which the people had inquired?
10. What prophecy concerning Christ is found in this chapter? When was it fulfilled?
11. What price did Judas Iscariot receive for his betrayal of Christ? What reference is there in Zec_11:13 to the way in which this “price of blood” was used by the priests?
12. In the day of their repentance, what will cause the Jews the greatest grief?
13. When did Jesus apply Zec_13:7 to Himself?
14. What promise of restoration is given to the Jews?