Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Different standards that exclude the possibility of other divinely inspired canons. They can't all be right but they CAN all be wrong.

Possibly, but as I said, Prophetic and Apostolic authorship should be the number one priority.

But sadly, it isn't.

With a few exceptions, nearly all of what we consider "Christian" groups, accept our current "canon".

The Old Testament canon closed some 400 years prior to the birth of the Lord. Now, there is a cry to re-open the canon and include more non-canonical books such as "Enoch". Which is accepted by the Ethiopian Church.

And even more recently, there has been an outcry to re-open the New Testament canon to include the Gospel of Judas.

I am one of those types that, unlike others, I have read most of the Apocrypha, Pseudepigrapha books just purely for information's sake.

Now, here is what I know as far as "canonicity" is concerned:

1. Written by a recognized prophet or apostle.
2. Written by those associated with recognized prophet or apostle.
3. Truthfulness (Deut. 18:20-22).
4. Faithfulness to previously accepted canonical writings.
5. Confirmed by Christ, prophet, apostle (e.g. Luke 24:44; 2 Pet. 3:16).

6. Church Usage and Recognition.
(While adopted, although not widely used, with the exception of the OT Apocrypha books, nearly the entire standard for Christianity was adopted at The Council of Carthage, circa AD 397)

And like I said, although adopted, some "Christian" churches like the Ethiopian Church, have their own "canon". The standard Christian canon is 66 books. The Ethiopian Church includes 81 books.

And here again, some groups who call themselves "Christian" have their own canon. One that springs to mind right off the bat are The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The Mormons who use the book of Moroni.

I can't speak as to why some have a larger canon than others, why this group accepts one canon over the other. But I can say this, the 66 books we know of that we call our "Holy Bible" passed all the test for canonicity.

And that is good enough for me.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Champollion

Dec 24, 2017
Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
Thirty years ago, of a while I had a Samaritan barber. He worked in a shop with a Jewish and a Chaldean barber. They were recent immigrants from the Middle East.

In conversation with the Jewish and Samaritan barbers, I learned that both groups, Jews and Samaritans, use different versions of the Torah. For example, they differed in location of the mountain on which Moses received the Ten Commandments.

That suggests the possibility of at least two Jewish versions or canons of the Old Testament.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thirty years ago, of a while I had a Samaritan barber. He worked in a shop with a Jewish and a Chaldean barber. They were recent immigrants from the Middle East.

In conversation with the Jewish and Samaritan barbers, I learned that both groups, Jews and Samaritans, use different versions of the Torah. For example, they differed in location of the mountain on which Moses received the Ten Commandments.

That suggests the possibility of at least two Jewish versions or canons of the Old Testament.

But, here again, are Jewish and Chaldeans "Christian"?

Don't they still try to uphold the "Torah"?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Champollion

Dec 24, 2017
Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
But, here again, are Jewish and Chaldeans "Christian"?

Don't they still try to uphold the "Torah"?

God Bless

Till all are one.

The Chaldean barber was a Christian. Here in Orange County we have a congregation of Jewish Christians, so I suppose the other two barbers may also have been Christians, but that seems an unlikely proposition to me. I don't know the extent to which they held as canonical the various parts of the Old Testament.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Chaldean barber was a Christian. Here in Orange County we have a congregation of Jewish Christians, so I suppose the other two barbers may also have been Christians, but that seems an unlikely proposition to me. I don't know the extent to which they held as canonical the various parts of the Old Testament.

Even Messianic Christians admit that the "Torah" isn't used as the "measuring stick" anymore. And from friendship with some Messianics here, about the only thing that can be used, and there is references to it in the NT, is to not pray with your head uncovered.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0