Country
Egypt
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Hello there, I would like to know your opinions on these verses:

1 Samuel 15:3
Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.

Pslam 137
Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us / He who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks."

Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

She lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. Ezekiel 23:20 NIV

Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves. Numbers 31:17-18

When a woman has a discharge, if her discharge in her body is blood, she shall continue in her menstrual impurity for seven days; and whoever touches her shall be unclean until evening. Everything also on which she lies during her menstrual impurity shall be unclean, and everything on which she sits shall be unclean. Leviticus 15: 19-20When men fight with one another, and the wife of the one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of him who is beating him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the private parts, then you shall cut off her hand. Deuteronomy 25:11-12

TruthSeeker321

Oct 11, 2019
Egypt
✟8,991.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
They didn’t have feminine supplies back then so women had a lot of accidents in the old days. All they had were rags. Sometimes, they would sit or lie in one place for 7 days until it was finished. With no Super Plus, level four overnight Stayfree to use...I imagine that was quite unclean indeed. And when they mean touch her...they mean intercourse.

As far as the woman seizing an attacker by the private parts, that seems really reckless and dumb. You have to physically get behind a tussling male, reach around and hope your in the right area. Or, run in and risk getting clocked in the face. That isn’t even feasible. Looking at the body mechanics of attacker and the attacked....doesn’t seem logical to try. If I were unarmed and someone was attacking my husband, I’d clock him in the head with the nearest large object.

As far as all of those other verses...they did a lot of horrible things back then. That was Old Testament Jewish law which does not apply to anyone today unless that specific law was quoted by the Apostle Paul in his writings. The Apostle Paul was given the last commission by Christ and we’re to follow his teachings...not OT law. Also, there is dispensationalism to consider. There were a lot of things done due to circumstances at the time....traditions, law, etc.

One thing I will leave you with...Paul commanded husbands to love their wives as they love themselves....so any Scripture digging someone does to justify discrimination, mistreatment and disrespect of women dies right there.

First of all, can you please provide any evidence that shows 'touch her' means having intercourse? And the verse implies that everything she sits on will be unclean. Even though they didn't much in the past, but that doesn't mean that when women is on her period, anything that she sits on will be unclean.

Secondly, saying that these verses are from the Old Testament implies that it was okay to kill people back then, but it's not okay now. Did God really say that she lusted over lovers whose gentals were like of donkeys? Was really that a necessarity? And God really say that the happy one is who dashes children against the rocks?

• Agree
Reactions: Emmylouwho
Upvote 0

Lobster Johnson

Oct 11, 2019
BC
✟23,321.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Wow, okay. I gotta get in on this.

Hello there, I would like to know your opinions on these verses:

1 Samuel 15:3
Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.

Genocide is bad enough, but mixing in animal cruelty as well?
Verdict: Immoral.

Pslam 137
Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us / He who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks."

The anti-abortion crowd should agree that this is clearly bad. Even the pro-abortionists would probably say that being happy while killing a baby is going a bit too far.

Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

Slavery is gross, and slave-masters are gross. There are no 'good and gentle' slave-masters. As for cruel slave-masters, they're the ones that should be resisted the most! Rise up and throw off your chains! Then pick them up again, they make good rebellion weapons!

She lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. Ezekiel 23:20 NIV

Nothing wrong with a little lust between lovers. And if they happen to be well endowed then count yourself lucky.
Verdict: TMI but not immoral.

Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves. Numbers 31:17-18

So now we're mixing genocide, misandry, child slavery and child rape?
Verdict: Crazy immoral.

When a woman has a discharge, if her discharge in her body is blood, she shall continue in her menstrual impurity for seven days; and whoever touches her shall be unclean until evening. Everything also on which she lies during her menstrual impurity shall be unclean, and everything on which she sits shall be unclean. Leviticus 15: 19-20

Wow, treating women on their period like they're cursed. Nothing man-made about this religion, eh?

When men fight with one another, and the wife of the one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of him who is beating him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the private parts, then you shall cut off her hand. Deuteronomy 25:11-12

What! Having your wife bail you out of a beat-down with a little dirty fighting may be embarrassing, but that's no fault of hers! She's already married to you, isn't that punishment enough?
Verdict: Immoral (the hand-cutting part, not the plum-crushing part).

• Winner
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Don’t forget that if you beat your slave to death, you’ll be punished. But if he survives for a day or so (quite possibly in agony) before he dies, then no crime was committed.
And that’s because he is your property.

The obvious answer is that these laws are purely human creations. They reflect the ancient customs and traditions of a Bronze Age society.

Edited to add: Let’s be fair...when people 3000 years from now look back on our society, they’ll probably think we were primitive and morally reprehensible. :oldthumbsup:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don’t forget that if you beat your slave to death, you’ll be punished. But if he survives for a day or so (quite possibly in agony) before he dies, then no crime was committed.
And that’s because he is your property.

The obvious answer is that these laws are purely human creations. They reflect the ancient customs and traditions of a Bronze Age society.

Edited to add: Let’s be fair...when people 3000 years from now look back on our society, they’ll probably think we were primitive and morally reprehensible. :oldthumbsup:

Yeah, I can see something like "hugging one's wife with tender care (or vice versa)" as something that could be seen as a form of human depravity, especially 3000 years from now, don't you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
These Bible verses show us how morals are evolving, not fixed.

Clearly humanity has undergone some serious moral evolution since "ancient days".

That's assuming there's no god in the mix, which is assuming a whole lot ......................... :dontcare:

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, so what is your opinion on these verses?

My opinion? Why does my opinion matter? Wouldn't we want to make sure that we're doing our academic and hermeneutical best, which isn't a mere matter of opinion, to interpret and understand what we're reading, as well as specifying and justifying our own ethical praxis BEFORE ethically evaluating various verses we might extract from the Bible at random?

:dontcare: No?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TruthSeeker321

Oct 11, 2019
Egypt
✟8,991.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
My opinion? Why does my opinion matter? Wouldn't we want to make sure that we're doing our academic and hermeneutical best, which isn't a mere matter of opinion, to interpret and understand what we're reading, as well as specifying and justifying our own ethical praxis BEFORE ethically evaluating various verses we might extract from the Bible at random?

:dontcare: No?

Please enlighten me. Which verse did I pick randomly? All these verses are found in the Bible; I didn't create any verse though.

Upvote 0