Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You'll find a lot of lay Lutherans using the NIV because it's easy to read and understand. However, you're right that the purists don't like the theological implications of the NIV in several places.

Then you have the opposite problem with the KJV. Most purists will accept it, but the everyday Lutheran doesn't like it because they think its hard to understand.

The compromise is the ESV, which is what has been adopted by the LCMS.

... alphabet soup

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There is no denying the beauty of the language used in the KJV, even if some of it is quite obscure to the modern reader (froward?) and other places where a modern reader would probably understand the exact opposite of what the text means (prevent?). Education and research can easily clear up these instances, but that takes time, effort, and an inquisitive mind.

The Lutheran Liturgical Prayer Brotherhood materials use the KJV for their chants and readings, probably due to its historicity, the linguistic beauty, and the fact that it is in the public domain.

http://llpb.us/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Most English speaking Lutherans, from what I've seen, tend to use either the ESV or the NRSV. Both are, in my opinion, good translations.

If the choice had to be between the KJV or the NIV, I would--tentatively--suggest the KJV over the NIV. Though I'd definitely recommend the ESV or NRSV over both the KJV or NIV.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟824,133.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Most English speaking Lutherans, from what I've seen, tend to use either the ESV or the NRSV. Both are, in my opinion, good translations.

If the choice had to be between the KJV or the NIV, I would--tentatively--suggest the KJV over the NIV. Though I'd definitely recommend the ESV or NRSV over both the KJV or NIV.

-CryptoLutheran

I agree with your choices, but I would insert the NKJV between the ESV and the the NRSV.:)

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
When the NIV is used, the 1984 edition is preferred over the 2011, mainly due to the gender neutral pronouns used in the 2011 version.

I don't use either one of them, but I hear you.
Concordant is imho prefered over idiomatic because I really dislike the idea of the translators influencing my reading through a possible agenda.

Idiomatic is a modern translation method and often with a more modernised language which I personally dislike.

The closer to the original script, the better is my take on this.

• Agree
Reactions: KevinC1129
Upvote 0

Clovis Man

LCMS - Recovering Baptist
Site Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Clovis, New Mexico USA
✟53,767.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello, all! I am a Roman Catholic researching other denominations. I was curious, I have a KJV and a NIV 2011 Study Bible. Which would be suitable for usage in the Lutheran church? I heard the NIV 2011 is frowned upon, but do Lutherans use the KJV at all?

Thanks! :)

You may use whichever one you wish. If you want to do some serious Bible study, I suggest you either learn Koine Greek, or use a word-for-word translation, such as Young's Literal Translation of the Holy Bible. There are a few out there and I find them helpful regardless of where I plan to use them.

Of course, this only relates to the New Testament, which is where most of my intense digging takes place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums