jendeez7

Apr 26, 2013
✟7,611.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hi All!
I'm very new here, but I'm eager to learn all there is to learn about Fundamentalism and its believers! :D
On the subject, I have begun to study the bible in earnest, though I have come across a number of different versions, that I never realised existed! I have started the New King James Version, and the New American Standard Version, though I'm not sure if they properly portray the beliefs of a Fundamentalist Christian!
I would really appreciate if I could get some guidance on which version is best for me, and why? I always thought The Bible was just that, a stand alone account of the work of Jesus and Our Lord. What is the significance of the different versions? :confused:
Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it, and I hope my questions aren't too silly! I have a lot of them :p

standingtall

Such is life....
Jan 5, 2012
✟1,535.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
images

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I prefer the NASB. It's the most accurate word-for-word English translation that we have currently. The ESV is the best thought-for-thought translation and very close to the NASB and NKJV overall. The NIV has some good areas and some dreadfully inaccurate ones, so it's not one I recommend unless you have no access to anything else.

Thought-for-thought translations have a nicer flow, and are therefore a little easier to read. Word-for-word translations are better for in depth study.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Hi All!
I'm very new here, but I'm eager to learn all there is to learn about Fundamentalism and its believers! :D
On the subject, I have begun to study the bible in earnest, though I have come across a number of different versions, that I never realised existed! I have started the New King James Version, and the New American Standard Version, though I'm not sure if they properly portray the beliefs of a Fundamentalist Christian!
I would really appreciate if I could get some guidance on which version is best for me, and why? I always thought The Bible was just that, a stand alone account of the work of Jesus and Our Lord. What is the significance of the different versions? :confused:
Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it, and I hope my questions aren't too silly! I have a lot of them :p

Hello - you do realize you have an atheist icon, right?

On the subject of versions, I think the following are probably the best/most accurate:

NASB
ESV
NRSV
NIV

Upvote 0

standingtall

Such is life....
Jan 5, 2012
✟1,535.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what the point of stuffing ones fat yellow face with pop corn is supposed to achieve????

The fat-yellow faced man needed to popcorn so he could kick back and watch how many different opinions ya'll would give this poser. The fact that she has an atheist icon and calls Jesus "Our Lord" should be a good indication.

Of course, the inevitable "perversion" dig is customary and required in these bible version discussions, so you didn't miss a beat. Outstanding!

Upvote 0

Thefunkyfundy

Feb 5, 2013
✟435.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
The fat-yellow faced man needed to popcorn so he could kick back and watch how many different opinions ya'll would give this poser. The fact that she has an atheist icon and calls Jesus "Our Lord" should be a good indication.

Of course, the inevitable "perversion" dig is customary and required in these bible version discussions, so you didn't miss a beat. Outstanding!

Great so it was worth hanging around to stuff your face then. :p

Upvote 0

korvus

[Luna] Christ-loving heretic
Apr 16, 2013
✟8,376.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

Hi All!

The bible has different translations because languages cannot be translated word for word. It comes down to a matter of interpretation. Different translation focus on a particular style of translation, as well as different manuscripts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I prefer the NASB. It's the most accurate word-for-word English translation that we have currently. The ESV is the best thought-for-thought translation and very close to the NASB and NKJV overall. The NIV has some good areas and some dreadfully inaccurate ones, so it's not one I recommend unless you have no access to anything else.

Thought-for-thought translations have a nicer flow, and are therefore a little easier to read. Word-for-word translations are better for in depth study.
I generally agree with you, but have a higher opinion of the NIV than you give it. I would also put the HCSB on par with the ESV. Overall, I prefer the NASB.

Upvote 0

OldStudent

Feb 24, 2007
central Ohio
✟8,188.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You start with at good question. If you read the first few verses of Genesis 3 you discover that the first deception that tripped Adam included editing God's word. We can expect no less today. Besides, today there is a money motive added to the "updating" the Bible - the most popular seller. There is also a tendency to "translate" to an agenda. That complicates things by opening niche markets. I have a chapter from a book that lists NT alterations in the NIV - 17 whole verses omitted (that's right, GONE), over 200 other edits that alter meaning.

Your intuition with the NKJV and NASB is a good one. I would lean more toward the NKJV. Then too you need a version supported by study aids like good concordances. The best in this area is the good ole KJV.

God will bless as you mine His word.

Upvote 0

BrandonG

May 19, 2013
✟15,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You start with at good question. If you read the first few verses of Genesis 3 you discover that the first deception that tripped Adam included editing God's word. We can expect no less today. Besides, today there is a money motive added to the "updating" the Bible - the most popular seller. There is also a tendency to "translate" to an agenda.

There has always been motives and agendas behind translations and updates of the Bible.
I would even say it is less nowadays because it is more easily exposed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

toolmanjantzi

Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2013
Sundridge, Ontario
✟49,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
jendeez7 said:
Hi All!

If you want to study the right version, you need to understand their errors, or their need to revise a revision, taking farther into corruption.

Luke 2:33 2:43; NIV, NASV, and NWT all claim Joseph as the father of Jesus. This can lead a person to teach Jesus was not the Son of God; if they were not taught truth from the word of God.

KJV - And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him. (Luke 2:33 KJV)

And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it. (Luke 2:43 KJV)

NKJV, ESV, ASV, NIV

Will attack the Sonship of Jesus also.

Acts 3:13 & 3:26; 4:27 & 4:30

Instead of using Son or Child the other Bibles refer to Jesus as servant. Jehovah's witnesses and Muslims will be able to debate you on the Sonship of Jesus Christ.

Acts 8:37 does not appear in the NIV.

And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. (Acts 8:37 KJV)

Upvote 0

toolmanjantzi

Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2013
Sundridge, Ontario
✟49,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
SpiritualAntiseptic said:
The KJV has a lot of additions from copyists that did not appear in earlier manuscripts.

People who say that non-KJV version 'remove' things from the bible do not realize that the Byzantine manuscripts used for the New Testament had things added to it.

Name one doctrine that is alive today that is non-Christian to come from the KJV. Name something in the KJV or taken away that tampers with Christian Doctrine.

Removal of the atoning blood, the trinity, Lordship, Sonship are all great errors.

I am not a KJV only person either.

Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Yes and no - mostly no.
It's hard to know what those different versions were, and You would need to do research in several ancient languages. Because of that I rely on English Bible versions such as the Revised English Bible - a guy that knew at least 10 languages well enough to do translation work, used to work on it in the beginning: C. H. Dodd - Wikipedia. Plus another good translator: G. B. Caird - Wikipedia:
Are there different versions in Hebrew?
If I wanted to get seriously fundamental I think that's the route to go.

Upvote 0