• NIRV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NASB

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • The Message

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A lot of KJV users on here. Good.

My two favorite KJB documentaries are:

KJB: The Book That Changed the World:
full

Trailer:

Watch Kjb - The Book That Changed The World | Prime Video

Bridge to Babylon:
full

Watch Bridge to Babylon | Prime Video
(Note: This documentary is more of a subtle defense of the KJB; For it talks more about the Modern Bibles).

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I often use the ISV (International Standard Version).

Edit: now I see the chart above. The Modern English Version looks good, too, but is sole reliance on the Textus Receptus and Jacob ben Hayyim texts ideal?
Depends. I prefer the TR and MT (knowing they are different but from the same family of MSS).

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,402.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I often use the ISV (International Standard Version). Edit: now I see the chart above. The Modern English Version looks good, too, but is sole reliance on the Textus Receptus and Jacob ben Hayyim texts ideal?
I'm glad you mentioned the ISV and MEV. I do like the MEV and recommend it to anyone who prefers the Texts Receptus and to anyone who wants an accurate formal translation. But it is not as readable as the CSB that I suggested earlier.

As far as the chart I posted is concerned, you might have noticed me saying that I consider the Catholic NAB and translations to its left to be mostly formal. And I consider the NIV and translations to its right to be mostly dynamic.

The ISV is between the NAB and NIV and I don't know how to classify it. It is famous for the poem in Philippians, which is certainly dynamic. But in other places, it sounds more formal. I know that in the OT it is more likely to use Qumran manuscripts.

How do you rate the ISV? What do you like about it compared to other translations?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wish we could have it with more options to pick, I regularly use more than one translation at a time. I chose NKJV for the poll, but in reality I use NKJV, Geneva, and ESV together, with others thrown in depending on my goal for the reading.

Upvote 0

Sentosa

Feb 19, 2016
USA
✟9,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
How do you rate the ISV? What do you like about it compared to other translations?

I always liked the ISV because I thought it was written at a higher reading level, and it's a modern translation. But I see in the chart you posted that other translations show a higher reading level. Actually, MEV is the highest posted (13), but yet it's pretty easy to read. And it's more literal, which is what Augustine recommended. That one may become my new favorite.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why Geneva? It's an unusual choice.
It has great notes from the exiled English and Scottish Reformers in Geneva, predates the KJV (arguably the KJV was created as a reaction to the Geneva's sometimes anti-monarchial study notes) and it was the choice of the Puritans. It is actually a very good translation, I thoroughly enjoy reading it for a first hand look at what the Geneva Reformers were thinking.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
In your opinion, what makes the KJV superior to the Geneva?
I wouldn't say it's superior I just prefer it and have been using it for 20 plus years at this point. The Geneva is not a widely used translation or I may have picked it up years ago.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't say it's superior I just prefer it and have been using it for 20 plus years at this point. The Geneva is not a widely used translation or I may have picked it up years ago.
Makes sense. I swapped to the CSB recently, after picking up a Spurgeon Study Bible in that version. Geneva is my take-to-church Bible, however.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0