Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm a weirdo and I collect Bibles. I used to have more but I often give them away to people. Over the years, I have had: New American Bible, King James Version, New King James Version, New Living Translation, New Revised Standard Version, English Standard Version, New International Version, and Eugene Peterson's "The Message" bible paraphrase.

I'm just curious as to which version that people on here like, because the only real Bible (includes all books), that I have is the NSRV but I don't care much for that translation. I tend to like the New King James Version and the English Standard Version and have both, but the only problem with those is that they delete 7 books that are "inconvenient" for protestants. I also do not like the New American Bible. I had one when I was a kid and barely read it because I found the translation to be a bit off-putting (kind of like the similar problem I have with the NSRV)

I would like to get myself a good Catholic edition study bible, because I really like my NKJV study bible but don't use it that frequently anymore because a lot of the margin notes are coming from an evangelical protestant theology. Are there any good, leatherbound Catholic study bibles that are in either the NKJV or ESV translations? If not, what would be a good one that is the most like these two translations? I'm willing to invest money when I get some.

Reactions: anna ~ grace

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm a weirdo and I collect Bibles. I used to have more but I often give them away to people. Over the years, I have had: New American Bible, King James Version, New King James Version, New Living Translation, New Revised Standard Version, English Standard Version, New International Version, and Eugene Peterson's "The Message" bible paraphrase.

I'm just curious as to which version that people on here like, because the only real Bible (includes all books), that I have is the NSRV but I don't care much for that translation. I tend to like the New King James Version and the English Standard Version and have both, but the only problem with those is that they delete 7 books that are "inconvenient" for protestants. I also do not like the New American Bible. I had one when I was a kid and barely read it because I found the translation to be a bit off-putting (kind of like the similar problem I have with the NSRV)

I would like to get myself a good Catholic edition study bible, because I really like my NKJV study bible but don't use it that frequently anymore because a lot of the margin notes are coming from an evangelical protestant theology. Are there any good, leatherbound Catholic study bibles that are in either the NKJV or ESV translations? If not, what would be a good one that is the most like these two translations? I'm willing to invest money when I get some.

Look at the Orthodox Study Bible. It's available for Kindle.

Please note that by referring you to the Orthodox Study Bible I am not in any way proselytizing. It's just a recommendation of "another" bible among many different versions.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Please note that by referring you to the Orthodox Study Bible I am not in any way proselytizing. It's just a recommendation of "another" bible among many different versions.

I understand that, I have heard of the Orthodox study bible before as there was a period of time where I was going to enter the Greek Orthodox church but ended up getting sidetracked by life and a romantic relationship. I would be interested to read what the Orthodox study notes are, unfortunately I do not have a Kindle anymore.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I understand that, I have heard of the Orthodox study bible before as there was a period of time where I was going to enter the Greek Orthodox church but ended up getting sidetracked by life and a romantic relationship. I would be interested to read what the Orthodox study notes are, unfortunately I do not have a Kindle anymore.

You can download Kindle for your PC or smartphone.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You can download Kindle for your PC or smartphone.

hahaha, I did not know that. I stopped being computer literate around the time of Windows Vista, so I don't have many of the "apps" (formerly known as "programs") that people are supposed to have and I can't work Android as well as I can work Windows.

My bad.

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I like the Amplified Bible. I also have the YouVersion Bible app on my phone which is free and has about 60 different versions on it.

I used to have YouVersion but the problem is I have a pretty rudimentary smart phone these days and it doesn't really have any space left for more apps (and I don't have very many on there to begin with) because I haven't gotten an SD for it. YouVersion was cool because they had this Messianic Jewish translation that I really liked because it captured the Jewishness of scripture pretty well, but I've never tried the Amplified Bible.

If my battery wouldn't die so quickly, I'd probably delete Final Fantasy and put it back on my phone. Maybe I will?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
ESV, Catholic Edition. With the introduction of our most recent Service Book (Lutheran Church Canada), the ESV was adopted as the translation of choice. Shortly after our ESV Study Bible was printed; it was to included the Apocrypha but at about 3" thick with all the notes, there was no room, so the Apocrypha was published as a stand alone volume. While I have both, my Pastor most graciously gave me this:
upload_2021-8-10_18-27-20.png

The print is a bit small for my old eyes, and the notes are sparse, but everything is in there, it is easy to read and easy to understand.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Catholic RSV

The NSRV is the Catholic edition that I have now and I'll be honest? I don't like it as much as either the NKJV or the ESV. I find it slightly more difficult to read than both of them and the text seems to lose it's focus in places. Like I read 8 chapters of St. Luke today and the text just feels "off" somehow.

I'm trying to read the Bible cover to cover, it's been an ongoing project since I was in jail. Which is the first time that I really sat down and read the Bible as if it were one book. I went for a few months without reading any of it, so that explains why I'm only in St. Luke currently.

• Informative
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The NSRV is the Catholic edition that I have now and I'll be honest? I don't like it as much as either the NKJV or the ESV. I find it slightly more difficult to read than both of them and the text seems to lose it's focus in places. Like I read 8 chapters of St. Luke today and the text just feels "off" somehow.

I'm trying to read the Bible cover to cover, it's been an ongoing project since I was in jail. Which is the first time that I really sat down and read the Bible as if it were one book. I went for a few months without reading any of it, so that explains why I'm only in St. Luke currently.
Yeah… NRSV can be a bit liberal and weird.

• Haha
Reactions: BrAndreyu
Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah… NRSV can be a bit liberal and weird.

It's just that it's not really a literal translation nor is it a dynamic translation, so certain passages sound like they've been cobbled together from different translations. I think I'm going to either pick up a Catholic ESV or look for a Catholic NKJV, because the NKJV was my favorite one for many years.

Upvote 0