Hastings
✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Im trying to do a study on "rewards" without using internet resources. I want to find out for myself.

I have a bible, A concordance, and a bible dictionary

I have used my concordance to find all the words under "reward" but now I want to actually find out what these rewards are. and how to gain them.

Using just the three resources named above, how would you find out what I want to know?

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Im trying to do a study on "rewards" without using internet resources. I want to find out for myself.

I have used my concordance to find all the words under "reward" but now I want to actually find out what these rewards are. and how to gain them.

Using just the three resources named above, how would you find out what I want to know?
I think you're going to need to figure out what else you can find in those resources that closely relate to rewards. I would look at the parable of the talents, figure out how it relates to Matthew 16:26 and how they both tie into the good news of a bodily resurrection.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do not know how Your mind works, but mine works well outside in nature, in fresh air. If I find some verses that I want to implement in my life, then I need to memorize them. I take each verse and divide the words up in segments of three or four. Then I speak them out until it sounds good. Then I record them on voicerecording app in my I-phone. Then I listen on them when I go for a walk. A chapter or so. with repetition. Then I get both my body and my spirit a bit refreshed. When It is ingrained in my brain after some walks after i have been listening to it during kitchenwork, I start to go over with a concordance what it all means. I might also do it the other way around check the concordance first and then pick out some verses. Sometimes I simply listen to the whole biblereading read by somebody while long drives or mundane or creative work. I have learned to remember things best by heart that way. However if You are tempted to check emails and stuff on Your walk, use a oldtimerecorder.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I do not know how Your mind works, but mine works well outside in nature, in fresh air. If I find some verses that I want to implement in my life, then I need to memorize them. I take each verse and divide the words up in segments of three or four. Then I speak them out until it sounds good. Then I record them on voicerecording app in my I-phone. Then I listen on them when I go for a walk. A chapter or so. with repetition. Then I get both my body and my spirit a bit refreshed. When It is ingrained in my brain after some walks after i have been listening to it during kitchenwork, I start to go over with a concordance what it all means. I might also do it the other way around check the concordance first and then pick out some verses. Sometimes I simply listen to the whole biblereading read by somebody while long drives or mundane or creative work. I have learned to remember things best by heart that way. However if You are tempted to check emails and stuff on Your walk, use a oldtimerecorder.

There is the problem of taking it out of context then. It's true meaning lost.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is the problem of taking it out of context then. It's true meaning lost.
You mean if You go to concordance first, well it depends on how well You already know Your bible. I would say If You know what the chapter is about to 80-90 % then You are safe to go. But Yes it is a bit lazy housewife reading. Chances are that the concordance would not get read otherwise, if I do not pick it up as Nike says Just do it. I also started reading the really old bible with the extra books from was it 1400 - 1500? century once in really old text that I found in grandmas and grandpas house. Now in modern time some books are taken away from that bibleversions. It was slow but intresting reading.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If you only looked up the English word reward, you don't have all the verses because sometimes those Hebrew and Greek words will be translated as something else. For example, in Revelation 22:12 we see that messiah brings with him our reward, the word misthos. But that same word is also translated as hire (3X) and wages (2X). Since the misthos can also means "payment" (in fact, that is the first definition of that word) then we have to allow the context to drive the definition.

My suggestion is download eSword... it is free. It comes with a bible version known as "KJV+" which is the KJV with Strongs numbers. When you move your cursor over the Strong's number a window will pop up showing the Strong's entry. Click on it... and you get the full entry in the dictionary section where the Strong's module is. Very easy to use. I would look at the various Hebrew words as well that are translated as reward. God see where they are used and how... factor that in as you work through this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But I want to find out what the rewards are, and I cant find that out by searching for rewards and its synonyms. someone said search for crowns, but remember im posing as someone who does not that crowns exist in the bible
If you read around all the times "reward" and its synonyms are used, then you will see what they are. Let the bible define itself. We are not getting material things by the way... God does not change and I am fairly certain that we won't be walking around looking like King Arthur. :)

Upvote 0

Ben Collyer

Apr 26, 2017
Hastings
✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you read around all the times "reward" and its synonyms are used, then you will see what they are. Let the bible define itself. We are not getting material things by the way... God does not change and I am fairly certain that we won't be walking around looking like King Arthur. :)

yes, but how does someone find the verses about crowns, without knowing the word crowns exists.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I know this may be outside of your scope, but I'll just add it here and you can disregard it if you like.

One thing I would do is to write down the verses that contain the word that you are researching. Then I would go to the interlinear Bible and find all the 'original' words in Greek or Hebrew for that word and then I would want to know each time that original word is used in scripture.

To me that is more thorough and would help me to know that I am studying all the pertinent references and cross references.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

By reading what is called the new testament...that's where you'll find the answers to your questions...that's what I had to do when I didn't have a concordance nor
a bible dictionary...I didn't have either of them until last year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums