castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hello friends! I’m curious what are your bible reading habits? And what you do to affirm to yourself that God is with you, walking beside you.
What do you do to ensure that your thinking Is informed by God, instead of all the things the world throws at you?

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello friends! I’m curious what are your bible reading habits? And what you do to affirm to yourself that God is with you, walking beside you.
What do you do to ensure that your thinking Is informed by God, instead of all the things the world throws at you?
I've read the Bible cover to cover more than once. I read out of Psalms each day. I try to stay in prayer throughout the day. I try to be aware of the Lord's commandments, and then when the world tries to lead me astray, I can resist the temptation.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi there. Prayerful Bible reading is so important as a permanent, consistent habit.

It's always good to remember that the ultimate, glorious theme of Scripture is the Person and Work at the Cross of the Lord Jesus Christ.

It's good to have a balance of reading in Old and New Testaments, remembering that Israel is an earthly people and the church, revealed in the New T., is a heavenly people converted from both Jewish and Gentile backgrounds.

God bless your reading His Word to you! :)

Upvote 0

Sal Robinson

Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I've read the Bible cover to cover more than once. I read out of Psalms each day. I try to stay in prayer throughout the day. I try to be aware of the Lord's commandments, and then when the world tries to lead me astray, I can resist the temptation.
That’s fantastic brother. Keep up that practice :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Not me
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Mine is a bit messy, but Im starting to follow a bible plan to read it from start to finish.

Its just that I hate reading, so instead alot of the studying is coming from apps. I'm an audiovisual learner so The bible Project's Read Scripture app has been a blessing to me because they organize the bible plan so that its cohesive, they have a nice range of visuals, audio, and reading guides with infographics. They also have a podcast to expound on certain topics mentioned throughout the bible, such as what it means to say "image of God" or what is "holiness". Its makes the understanding of the bible more impressionable and comprehensive, and in such a way that I can apply it to my life.

I do also do personal devotionals, play a proverb a day in my bible app, and i also listen to a sermon a day in the mornings.

That's probably alot lol

And how do I affirm that God is with me? Because He is a keeper of His word, if I draw nigh to Him, He will draw nigh to me. If I seek Him and search Him with all my heart, I will find Him.How I know my thoughts are of Him? I examine myself daily, and measure it to the Word. Then I pray that God continues to guide me as I grow in grace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a yearly Bible plan where I read some OT and also a portion in Psalms and Proverbs and about a 1/2 chapter a day in the NT.
In addition to reading I do a lot of study on various topics to make sure my mind is continually being shaped into what God wants.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I've read the Bible all the way through once, and I'm in the process of doing it again. As for my reading habits- I need to get back into a regular pattern, because right now the only Scripture I read is during Mass or when I'm doing my morning/evening/night prayers. I also meditate on various parts when praying the rosary.

As for "how I know" God is leading me in the right direction- I don't. I don't presume that God should grant me the answers so simply. I look to my church for direction- she knows better than a lowly layman like myself. If left to my own devices, I can find what I want to find, instead of what's actually there.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I keep an open bible in my dining room, it was in Isaiah for nearly months. When I pass by I glance in and read a line or two. Just a little lift me up. I also have two bible verses a day coming into my email during the week ad one per day on the weekend. Often one of those will speak to me, so that bible in my dining room I open to that verse, then concentrate on reading things around that verse. In the evening I read two chapters upstairs in my bed before going to sleep. Right now I'm reading Psalms and Job. So I read a psalm and then a chapter in Job. Last month it was Proverbs of the day of the month and a chapter in Luke. The second reading is where the Lord leads me, it's a feeling of being drawn to it. So all last month I was drawn to Luke, right now it is Job. And it will be that way till I see what the Lord is trying to tell me, because He surely is. When I see it it will stand right out out at me. He took me out of Luke and put me in Job, I was reading in Luke but things lately have made me feel kind of like a Job character and I was just drawn there. He might make me read the whole book before revealing it or it could be tonight's reading.

I'm not new at this, I've been floored by things revealed to me while reading at night, tears of joy sometimes to find it. Sometimes just living life not even thinking about the bible and something pops in my head ( a book in the bible ). When I was still working it was Corinthians, every day for two weeks . It just repeated in my mind Corinthians . It never said 1 or 2 just Corinthians. So I kept reading both books over and over, then after the two weeks it was bible study night, I go there and the pastor says open your books to 2 Corinthians. Now you could say that is just coincidental but that sort of thing has happened far too many times to believe it to be coincidence. Plus the message was alive, as if speaking right to my heart, very very profound.

You just keep reading and believing regardless who tries to shake you up, because that will come too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sal Robinson

Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hi there. Prayerful Bible reading is so important as a permanent, consistent habit.

It's always good to remember that the ultimate, glorious theme of Scripture is the Person and Work at the Cross of the Lord Jesus Christ.

It's good to have a balance of reading in Old and New Testaments, remembering that Israel is an earthly people and the church, revealed in the New T., is a heavenly people converted from both Jewish and Gentile backgrounds.

God bless your reading His Word to you! :)
"ultimate, glorious theme of Scripture is the Person and Work at the Cross of the Lord Jesus Christ." couldn't agree more.

I agree, we need a healthy balance. like you said, it's important to see that we've converted from both of those backgrounds :)

Upvote 0

Sal Robinson

Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Mine is a bit messy, but Im starting to follow a bible plan to read it from start to finish.

Its just that I hate reading, so instead alot of the studying is coming from apps. I'm an audiovisual learner so The bible Project's Read Scripture app has been a blessing to me because they organize the bible plan so that its cohesive, they have a nice range of visuals, audio, and reading guides with infographics. They also have a podcast to expound on certain topics mentioned throughout the bible, such as what it means to say "image of God" or what is "holiness". Its makes the understanding of the bible more impressionable and comprehensive, and in such a way that I can apply it to my life.

I do also do personal devotionals, play a proverb a day in my bible app, and i also listen to a sermon a day in the mornings.

That's probably alot lol

And how do I affirm that God is with me? Because He is a keeper of His word, if I draw nigh to Him, He will draw nigh to me. If I seek Him and search Him with all my heart, I will find Him.How I know my thoughts are of Him? I examine myself daily, and measure it to the Word. Then I pray that God continues to guide me as I grow in grace.
I also love the Bible project, they are such a blessing! I definitely think we need more audiovisual resources that are engaging and help us learn the Bible better in an exciting way.

That’s awesome. Do you listen to one preacher in particular?

Very true, He is the keeper of His word. I too see the importance of examining ourselves daily. I pray he continues to guide you, friend. My prayers to you :)

• Friendly
Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0

Sal Robinson

Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have a yearly Bible plan where I read some OT and also a portion in Psalms and Proverbs and about a 1/2 chapter a day in the NT.
In addition to reading I do a lot of study on various topics to make sure my mind is continually being shaped into what God wants.
Your routine sounds really awesome Doug. I think the psalms and proverbs are so foundational. “My mind is continually being shaped into what God wants” I love that Doug, so true

God Bless you!

Upvote 0

Sal Robinson

Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I've read the Bible all the way through once, and I'm in the process of doing it again. As for my reading habits- I need to get back into a regular pattern, because right now the only Scripture I read is during Mass or when I'm doing my morning/evening/night prayers. I also meditate on various parts when praying the rosary.

As for "how I know" God is leading me in the right direction- I don't. I don't presume that God should grant me the answers so simply. I look to my church for direction- she knows better than a lowly layman like myself. If left to my own devices, I can find what I want to find, instead of what's actually there.
Thank you for sharing your routine. I do think it’s important that we have a good church to help guide us. I too agree with the dangers of being left to my own devices. I love what you said, because there is a big difference between what I want and what’s actually there. Thank you so much for sharing.

Upvote 0

Sal Robinson

Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think about the virtues that are currently inspiring, motivating, or helping me at the moment, then I look up bible verses that explain details about the virtue in depth.

I also study Psalms every day.
o That sounds lovely. I know bible verses can have a big impact on bringing out those virtues, so that awesome All the best with your studying LORDofW4RRIOR, may it continue to be inspiring, motivating, and helpful!

o God Bless you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sal Robinson

Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I keep an open bible in my dining room, it was in Isaiah for nearly months. When I pass by I glance in and read a line or two. Just a little lift me up. I also have two bible verses a day coming into my email during the week ad one per day on the weekend. Often one of those will speak to me, so that bible in my dining room I open to that verse, then concentrate on reading things around that verse. In the evening I read two chapters upstairs in my bed before going to sleep. Right now I'm reading Psalms and Job. So I read a psalm and then a chapter in Job. Last month it was Proverbs of the day of the month and a chapter in Luke. The second reading is where the Lord leads me, it's a feeling of being drawn to it. So all last month I was drawn to Luke, right now it is Job. And it will be that way till I see what the Lord is trying to tell me, because He surely is. When I see it it will stand right out out at me. He took me out of Luke and put me in Job, I was reading in Luke but things lately have made me feel kind of like a Job character and I was just drawn there. He might make me read the whole book before revealing it or it could be tonight's reading.

I'm not new at this, I've been floored by things revealed to me while reading at night, tears of joy sometimes to find it. Sometimes just living life not even thinking about the bible and something pops in my head ( a book in the bible ). When I was still working it was Corinthians, every day for two weeks . It just repeated in my mind Corinthians . It never said 1 or 2 just Corinthians. So I kept reading both books over and over, then after the two weeks it was bible study night, I go there and the pastor says open your books to 2 Corinthians. Now you could say that is just coincidental but that sort of thing has happened far too many times to believe it to be coincidence. Plus the message was alive, as if speaking right to my heart, very very profound.

You just keep reading and believing regardless who tries to shake you up, because that will come too.
I’m so moved by the profound experiences you’re had when reading your bible. Sounds like you experiences things very deeply. And I do not think it was a coincidence at all! I definitely think God was speaking to you .

Thank you for sharing those profound experiences friend

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I also love the Bible project, they are such a blessing! I definitely think we need more audiovisual resources that are engaging and help us learn the Bible better in an exciting way.

That’s awesome. Do you listen to one preacher in particular?

Very true, He is the keeper of His word. I too see the importance of examining ourselves daily. I pray he continues to guide you, friend. My prayers to you :)

Yes, John Piper right now has been my go-to, and I also love that he also have apps available to listen to his sermons, read a devotional, or listen to him answering questions on his podcast. He also has an array of books that people can download for free on his website. He's been blessing me every morning on my way to work lol.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I’m so moved by the profound experiences you’re had when reading your bible. Sounds like you experiences things very deeply. And I do not think it was a coincidence at all! I definitely think God was speaking to you .

Thank you for sharing those profound experiences friend
Thanks, and Job 5 did speak to me fairly profoundly last night. I will see what come within Job tonight ( I read chapter 5 and 6 last night) or if I am drawn elsewhere.

We used to hold bible study here at the house and so I built a nice but not elaborate pulpit because our studies are almost like a mini service in nature, or were. So on that is where my dining room bible sits. Today it is closed till I feel an inclination as to where to open it. Sometimes I just open it to where ever but that is not my inclination today. A bunch of Turkey's frequent our yard, one dropped a long barred feather out there and I use that as a page marker in that particular bible ( it's a big thick Dakes NKJV reference and study bible that was gifted to me by one of my daughters and her husband).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My personal reading habits has gone by the wayside. I've tried taking posted study guides from Non-denominational forum as a substitute. Though it's helpful for learning context, what's the meaning and purpose intended; eventually I realized as it takes from various places in the Bible, I can't simply read everything there and here related to the quotes. Least I can't if I'm to have time for personal reading that's frequent and consistent. Yet to read through the Old Testament once and I'm trying to go through the New Testament again to remember. Also not read much of Proverbs or Psalms, except when I felt in the mood.

I'd like to have a plan that's flexible but consistent, to read at least a chapter/part of either Testaments along with a Proverb/Psalm. Also while having time and not feeling whelmed/overloaded doing studies along with everything else I do in a day. When I tried to doing it all before it was too much mentally, emotionally, and some days physically from the day.

This thread is exactly what I've needed as I try to get back on schedule with God. I think slowly reintroducing personal reading into my schedule is the best idea. Then I can add related things around it, but not as a substitute or requirement, especially not every day. Put the personal relationship back into my faith, actually having it without doubts causing me to worry.

Upvote 0