Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
(This seemed like a physical science, but I'm not sure if this falls under this category, so my apologies)

Originally, I find Bible Prophesies that appear to have failed.

Later on, I read that words, like "shall" or "will", allow prophecies to "not have happened yet, but will", therefore they are not failed.

Are there some that have definitely happened, having a specific time, when they should have?

Otherwise, this seems to present an issue (dishonest?), because they can be extended, until the time that they would inevitably come true; not really a "prophecy".

J

Jazer

(This seemed like a physical science, but I'm not sure if this falls under this category, so my apologies)Are there some that have definitely happened, having a specific time, when they should have?
Luke 21:32 “I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened."

This is a prophecy that has been fulfilled and will be fulfilled again. The first time was in 70 ad when the temple was destroyed and Jerusalem was scattered to the world. The prophecy has it's second fulfillment concerning the generation that saw Israel once again become a nation. The bottom line is that the year 2030 has to come and go before you can begin to say prophecy has not been accomplished.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟38,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Luke 21:32 “I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened."

This is a prophecy that has been fulfilled and will be fulfilled again. The first time was in 70 ad when the temple was destroyed and Jerusalem was scattered to the world. The prophecy has it's second fulfillment concerning the generation that saw Israel once again become a nation. The bottom line is that the year 2030 has to come and go before you can begin to say prophecy has not been accomplished.

What were those "things" and did they happen?

"People will die because of huge natural disasters."

If they can happen multiple times, it's really just observational cause-effect going on.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When God gave a prophecy, there was a set time in which that prophecy was/is to be carried out.

That is called 'fulfillment.'

Thus, when Elisha said:

2 Kings 7:1 Then Elisha said, Hear ye the word of the LORD; Thus saith the LORD, To morrow about this time shall a measure of fine flour be sold for a shekel, and two measures of barley for a shekel, in the gate of Samaria.

... and the next day it was fulfilled.

2 Kings 7:16 And the people went out, and spoiled the tents of the Syrians. So a measure of fine flour was sold for a shekel, and two measures of barley for a shekel, according to the word of the LORD.

Most prophecies have a fulfillment date of hundreds of years in advance.

In between those years ... from the time the prophecy was given, to its fulfillment date ... that prophecy could have what we call 'partial fulfillments.'

These 'partial fulfillments' are kind of like trial runs of the final fulfillment to come.

Thus when God prophesied about the abomination of desolation being set up in the Temple, that prophecy had a partial fulfillment in Antiochus Epiphanes, who sacrificed a pig on the altar in the Temple, but will be finally fulfilled during the Tribulation.

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟38,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
When God gave a prophecy, there was a set time in which that prophecy was/is to be carried out.

That is called 'fulfillment.'

Thus, when Elisha said:

2 Kings 7:1 Then Elisha said, Hear ye the word of the LORD; Thus saith the LORD, To morrow about this time shall a measure of fine flour be sold for a shekel, and two measures of barley for a shekel, in the gate of Samaria.

... and the next day it was fulfilled.

2 Kings 7:16 And the people went out, and spoiled the tents of the Syrians. So a measure of fine flour was sold for a shekel, and two measures of barley for a shekel, according to the word of the LORD.

Most prophecies have a fulfillment date of hundreds of years in advance.

In between those years ... from the time the prophecy was given, to its fulfillment date ... that prophecy could have what we call 'partial fulfillments.'

These 'partial fulfillments' are kind of like trial runs of the final fulfillment to come.

Thus when God prophesied about the abomination of desolation being set up in the Temple, that prophecy had a partial fulfillment in Antiochus Epiphanes, who sacrificed a pig on the altar in the Temple, but will be finally fulfilled during the Tribulation.

I find it suspect that a few sentences later... prophecy fulfilled!

Like foreshadowing by authors. They know it's going to happen, because they are writing it.

But, anyway...

I'd like to hear the response to, "Is there any accurate, non-general, prophecy fulfilled in modern time?"

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is there any accurate, non-general, prophecy fulfilled in modern time?

I find it suspect that a few sentences later... prophecy fulfilled!

Like foreshadowing by authors. They know it's going to happen, because they are writing it.

But, anyway...

I'd like to hear the response to, "Is there any accurate, non-general, prophecy fulfilled in modern time?"
Anyone can read a prophecy and then work to have it fulfilled on purpose to make it look like God did it; but the real trick is to keep it from happening.

Think about this:

If the prophecy concerning Israel becoming a nation again has not been fulfilled yet, as some of you guys allude, then Israel is going to have to go back into captivity again.

As far as prophecies recently fulfilled, QV please: 10 Bible Prophecies Fulfilled Recently.

Upvote 0

Elendur

Gamer and mathematician
Feb 27, 2012
Sweden - Umeå
✟17,952.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
Anyone can read a prophecy and then work to have it fulfilled on purpose to make it look like God did it; but the real trick is to keep it from happening.

Think about this:

If the prophecy concerning Israel becoming a nation again has not been fulfilled yet, as some of you guys allude, then Israel is going to have to go back into captivity again.

As far as prophecies recently fulfilled, QV please: 10 Bible Prophecies Fulfilled Recently.
So:
1. Israel will prevail over its enemies
2. The ruins of Israel would be rebuilt
3. Ezekiel prophesied prosperity for modern-day Israel
4. Trees again would grow in Israel
5. Isaiah said Israel's fruit would fill the world
6. Jerusalem would become the world's most important religious site
7. Egypt would never again rule over other nations
8. Zechariah prophesied the Jews return to Jerusalem
9. Israel's deserts will become like the Garden of Eden
10. Isaiah foretold of the worldwide return of Jews to Israel

1 is a general prophecy, prevailing can mean both surviving the conflict and win the conflict.

2 is a general prophecy. Unless there is some specific ruins referred to. It's quite obvious mankind will spread there again.

3 is general, "In Ezekiel 36:11, the prophet said that there would come a time when Israel would be more prosperous than it was in the past".

4 is general, trees growing. Not very specific.

5 is general, exporting goods was important then as well.

6 isn't fulfilled, they admit it themselves.

7 is interesting, I'll give you that, but I'm not sure it's been fulfilled. It could also be a possibility of self-fulfillment.

8 is general, the jews can return and live with other people for it to be fulfilled as well.

9 is the most interesting, according to me. But I think saying it will become like the garden of eden is to downrate the garden of eden.

10 is general, see point 8.

So I'll say 7 and 9 is quite interesting, during the fast inspection.

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟38,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Think about this:

Well, crud. That wasn't impressive as I'd hoped it would be.

Minimally, these are 2250 years old and they consist of "prosperity", which could be subjective, and "re-built", which tends to happen.

Time can account for these things.

4. Trees again would grow in Israel

Isaiah 41:18-20
I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water, and the parched ground into springs. I will put in the desert the cedar and the acacia, the myrtle and the olive. I will set pines in the wasteland, the fir and the cypress together, so that people may see and know, may consider and understand, that the hand of the Lord has done this, that the Holy One of Israel has created it.

The lack of available water, including rain, is one reason why Israel had been a desolate, unproductive land during much of the past 2000 years. But, during the 1900s, when many Jews returned to their ancient homeland, they built a network of irrigation systems. And during the past century, more than 200 million trees have been planted in Israel.
People migrated to a location (specifically their "homeland")... and they made it livable!

"Prophecy"?

6. Jerusalem would become the world's most important religious site

You mean the place where Jesus was crucified... is the leading religious spot?

It would be odd, if it weren't.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, crud. That wasn't impressive as I'd hoped it would be.
Naaman was disappointed too.

2 Kings 5:11 But Naaman was wroth, and went away, and said, Behold, I thought, He will surely come out to me, and stand, and call on the name of the LORD his God, and strike his hand over the place, and recover the leper.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

Jazer

What were those "things" and did they happen?
This is very important when it comes to prophecy and the key words here are called shadows and types. The work that God did with Isreal, God is now doing with the gentiles though the Church. This is for serious Bible students to study. I do not know if there would be any interest on a forum like this one. I would think that people that make a mockery of the Bible would not be much interested in a serious Bible study. They can not much stomach the shallow things of God, much less the deep understanding of the word of God. Or they say that people who are still on milk can not tolerate meat very well. Matt 7:26 "Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in."

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,738,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread has been moved from Physical and Life Sciences to Exploring Christianity.
A few posts have been cleaned up to comply with the rules for the new forum.
Please remember this is NOT A DEBATE FORUM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.