Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I said, using a concordance to list every verse (out of context) that contains the English word "yoke" means absolutely nothing. Nothing.
Actually, I did an exhaustive Bible study on the word yoke to see how the Bible uses the word. I have transparently posted the results of that study here.

As the Bible says from the beginning, in Ge 27:40 You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. But when you grow restless, you will throw his yoke from off your neck."

So when I say that yoke is a metaphor for submission to authority, I am merely summarizing verses like these, of which there are many.

If you wish to do your own Bible study on yoke, please show us your results. That would be better than the insults, insinuations, and myths you have filled this thread with.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Actually, I did an exhaustive Bible study on the word yoke to see how the Bible uses the word. I have transparently posted the results of that study here.

As the Bible says from the beginning, in Ge 27:40 You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. But when you grow restless, you will throw his yoke from off your neck."

So when I say that yoke is a metaphor for submission to authority, I am merely summarizing verses like these, of which there are many.

If you wish to do your own Bible study on yoke, please show us your results. That would be better than the insults, insinuations, and myths you have filled this thread with.
You are right, even without knowing all that you posted is right.
The opposition to truth on this site is much more prevalent than the truth is, and it is a daily obstacle to everyone, that cannot be removed.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not against the idea that yoke is a union or bond between people.

Paul clearly uses this idea in Phil 4:3 Yes, and I ask you, my true yokefellow, to help these women who have labored with me for the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.

Yokefellow in Greek, "σύζυγε (syzyge)", is only used once in the Bible and while it is often translated as companion or partner, it certainly does not mean that Paul was married to the man whom he calls a true partner. It may actually be the man's proper name: Syzyge. The point remains that this term is only used once and we cannot assume the Bible is talking about partnership/teamwork, let alone marriage, in the rest of the verses that use yoke.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Paul writes in 2Co 6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. The question concerns who Paul is specifically warning about. Let's look at the context both before and after the section on unequally yoked.

2 Cor 6:11 We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians, and opened wide our hearts to you. 12 We are not withholding our affection from you, but you are withholding yours from us. 13 As a fair exchange—I speak as to my children—open wide your hearts also.

...2Co 6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers...

7:2 Make room for us in your hearts. We have wronged no one, we have corrupted no one, we have exploited no one. 3 I do not say this to condemn you; I have said before that you have such a place in our hearts that we would live or die with you. 4 I have spoken to you with great frankness; I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged; in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds.

The fuller context makes clear that Paul's concern is that unbelievers have poisoned Paul's relationship with the Corinthian church. Paul's response is to call the Christians to break their bonds, their yoke with unbelievers. Who were these troublesome unbelievers that are the contaminating body and spirit of the believers?

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Continuing the last post: who is Paul talking about when he says,

2 Cor 6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

“I will live with them
and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they will be my people.”[c]
17 Therefore,

“Come out from them
and be separate,
says the Lord.
Touch no unclean thing,
and I will receive you.”[d]
18 And,

“I will be a Father to you,
and you will be my sons and daughters,
says the Lord Almighty.”

7:1Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

Paul says of these unbelievers:
wickedness, darkness, follow Belial, worship idols,

Paul tells the believers that they should:
don't be yoked to these unbelievers, separate from these unbelievers, touch no unclean thing

Many people think that yoke means marriage in this context. However, Paul in his first letter has given very different instructions for Corinthian believers who are married to unbelievers:

1 Corinthians 7:12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

Paul says that the believers should not separate from their unmarried spouses and that the unbeliever has been sanctified through marriage. Thus, the marriage and the children it produces are holy. Consequently, the believer should not separate from the unbeliever.

This proves beyond any REASONABLE doubt that is referring to two different groups of unbelievers. Yoke does not mean marriage in this passage nor anywhere else in the Bible. The evidence in the text indicates that Paul was not concerned with unbelieving spouses when he warned to separate from the unbelievers who were poisoning Paul's relationship with the Corinthian church.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Continuing the last post: who is Paul talking about when he says,

2 Cor 6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

“I will live with them
and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they will be my people.”[c]
17 Therefore,

“Come out from them
and be separate,
says the Lord.
Touch no unclean thing,
and I will receive you.”[d]
18 And,

says the Lord Almighty.”

7:1Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

Paul says of these unbelievers:
wickedness, darkness, follow Belial, worship idols,

Paul tells the believers that they should:
don't be yoked to these unbelievers, separate from these unbelievers, touch no unclean thing

Many people think that yoke means marriage in this context. However, Paul in his first letter has given very different instructions for Corinthian believers who are married to unbelievers:

1 Corinthians 7:12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

Paul says that the believers should not separate from their unmarried spouses and that the unbeliever has been sanctified through marriage. Thus, the marriage and the children it produces are holy. Consequently, the believer should not separate from the unbeliever.

This proves beyond any REASONABLE doubt that is referring to two different groups of unbelievers. Yoke does not mean marriage in this passage nor anywhere else in the Bible. The evidence in the text indicates that Paul was not concerned with unbelieving spouses when he warned to separate from the unbelievers who were poisoning Paul's relationship with the Corinthian church.

Exactly what is your problem with marriage?? Enough already!!

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly what is your problem with marriage?? Enough already!!
After this post, I am going to treat you like a troll. That means I will ignore all comments that do not contribute usefully to the discussion. If you continue your trolling, I will ask the moderators to deal with you.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since we now know that Paul is not using yoke to refer to the marriage of believers and unbelievers, perhaps these unbelievers are the friends, coworkers, classmates, business partners, and teammates with whom Christians associate every day?

Is Paul judging the Corinthian Christian's non-Christian daily relationships?

The best evidence concerning this idea comes from 1 Corinthians 5:

9I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

12What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”

This passage makes it clear that Paul is not judging those outside the church: the immoral, the greedy, the swindlers, the idolaters, etc. Paul says that Corinthians have to associate with such people just to live in this world. Paul is content to let God judge these unbelievers! This is strong evidence that Paul is not concerned with Corinthian believers being yoked to unbelievers in their pursuit of everyday life.

However, Paul says here that the real problem is unbelievers in the church who falsely claim to be Christians. Paul says to judge those inside the church and expel the wicked unbelieving church-goer - the false Christian. Now we have strong evidence that Paul does not want the Corinthians to be yoked to false Christians. Somehow these unbelieving church members have contaminated the church and poisoned Paul's relationship with the Corinthian believers.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
After this post, I am going to treat you like a troll. That means I will ignore all comments that do not contribute usefully to the discussion. If you continue your trolling, I will ask the moderators to deal with you.

Well, you have confirmed by suspicions. Don't yoke yourself together with people that disagree with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a reminder for those who think Paul is telling the Corinthians not to marry unbelievers, Paul is not focused on what the Corinthians may do in the future. He is concerned with the present. He is commanding them: Stop being yoked now! You are being contaminated and made unholy. Separate now! This different/unequal yoke is offensive to God and must end.

Thus, if yoke really means marriage (which it doesn't) then Paul is not saying, "Do not marry an unbeliever", rather he is saying, "Stop being married (ie divorce) the unbeliever". But since Paul already told the Corinthians to stay married to unbelievers, we know for sure Paul does not use yoke in the sense of marriage in 2 Corinthians.

• Agree
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now, we are coming to the final stretch. One of the problems of Second Corinthians is that many people, including some Bible scholars, can not see the letter as a cohesive unit. Thus, they claim that Paul's command to separate from unbelievers is unconnected with the general context of the major themes of the letter, such as new leaders moving in after Paul and discrediting Paul's life and ministry, effectively poisoning Paul's relationship with the Corinthian church. But considering that Paul was one of the most brilliant men of his culture and furthermore that he was being carried along by the Holy Spirit, perhaps most of us have misunderstood the unity of this epistle. Perhaps we have fallen to the same error that Peter writes about in 2 Peter 3:6:

He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Since our previous studies have shown that when Paul says the Corinthian believers must leave their yoke with non-Christians, that Paul is not referring to marriage, nor common associations. Rather, as we have already seen, Paul is telling them to judge those in the church who are false believers. So, which false believers are contaminating the church?

Paul makes this very clear in the latter part of his letter at 2 Co 11:2 I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him. 3 But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 4 For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough.

5 I do not think I am in the least inferior to those “super-apostles.

...13 For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.

This is the great and dangerous yokemate that is affecting the church - "super apostles". These men had seduced the Corinthians to follow a different Christ, a different spirit, and a different gospel! These "super apostles" were really false apostles and, in fact, unbelievers. These are the unbelievers that Paul commanded the believers to separate from. These false apostles are the ones the believers should not be yoked to.

This conclusion is actually quite safe and conservative. Paul's concern for false leaders and false messages in the church are seen throughout his letters. It is a common theme in the New Testament - as is the command to have nothing to do with these wolves in sheep's clothing. On the other hand, the idea that yoke = marriage is found nowhere in the Bible and the idea of Christians separating from non-Christians in general life is actually quite radical and contrary to the rest of Paul's writings.

It may help to replace the word, "false-apostle" for unbeliever to see if this opinion makes sense:

(obviously, I am changing a few highlighted words from the original)
==================================
Do not be yoked together with false apostles. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

“I will live with them
and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they will be my people.”
Therefore,

“Come out from them
and be separate,
says the Lord.
Touch no unclean thing,
and I will receive you.”
And,

says the Lord Almighty.”

Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.
======================================

I don't think any Christian should marry a non-Christian. But, if they do, the marriage is holy and they should stay together. However, under no circumstances should Christians endure a different Christ, spirit or gospel that the one presented in the Bible. Separate from this yoke as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Now, we are coming to the final stretch. One of the problems of Second Corinthians is that many people, including some Bible scholars, can not see the letter as a cohesive unit. Thus, they claim that Paul's command to separate from unbelievers is unconnected with the general context of the major themes of the letter, such as new leaders moving in after Paul and discrediting Paul's life and ministry, effectively poisoning Paul's relationship with the Corinthian church. But considering that Paul was one of the most brilliant men of his culture and furthermore that he was being carried along by the Holy Spirit, perhaps most of us have misunderstood the unity of this epistle. Perhaps we have fallen to the same error that Peter writes about in 2 Peter 3:6:

He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Since our previous studies have shown that when Paul says the Corinthian believers must leave their yoke with non-Christians, that Paul is not referring to marriage, nor common associations. Rather, as we have already seen, Paul is telling them to judge those in the church who are false believers. So, which false believers are contaminating the church?

Paul makes this very clear in the latter part of his letter at 2 Co 11:2 I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him. 3 But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 4 For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough.

5 I do not think I am in the least inferior to those “super-apostles.

...13 For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.

This is the great and dangerous yokemate that is affecting the church - "super apostles". These men had seduced the Corinthians to follow a different Christ, a different spirit, and a different gospel! These "super apostles" were really false apostles and, in fact, unbelievers. These are the unbelievers that Paul commanded the believers to separate from. These false apostles are the ones the believers should not be yoked to.

This conclusion is actually quite safe and conservative. Paul's concern for false leaders and false messages in the church are seen throughout his letters. It is a common theme in the New Testament - as is the command to have nothing to do with these wolves in sheep's clothing. On the other hand, the idea that yoke = marriage is found nowhere in the Bible and the idea of Christians separating from non-Christians in general life is actually quite radical and contrary to the rest of Paul's writings.

It may help to replace the word, "false-apostle" for unbeliever to see if this opinion makes sense:

(obviously, I am changing a few highlighted words from the original)
==================================
Do not be yoked together with false apostles. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

“I will live with them
and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they will be my people.”
Therefore,

“Come out from them
and be separate,
says the Lord.
Touch no unclean thing,
and I will receive you.”
And,

says the Lord Almighty.”

Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.
======================================

I don't think any Christian should marry a non-Christian. But, if they do, the marriage is holy and they should stay together. However, under no circumstances should Christians endure a different Christ, spirit or gospel that the one presented in the Bible. Separate from this yoke as soon as possible.

Sorry but I believe what the Bible actually says, not your interpretation of it. The large majority of bibles are the works of teams of expert translators, many of whom have spent their entire careers in bible translation.

As I said earlier, you have determined in your own mind what you would like the Bible to say regarding yokes, marriage, and now false apostles. However it does not say what you would like us to believe. End of story.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have misunderstood and misrepresented my thinking process. I started as a young Christian thinking that yoke = marriage. And that is what every Christian around me said as well. However, after I graduated from seminary, became a missionary and Bible teacher, I began to question the conclusion that yoke = marriage. So, I looked carefully at the usage of the word "yoke" throughout the Bible. I also studied the grammar of 2 Cor 6 in English and Greek. Furthermore, I studied the context of the entire Book.

I followed the exact process that your professor mentioned about proving yourself wrong. I proved that my initial belief that yoke = marriage was wrong. I proved that my secondary belief that yoke = association was wrong as well. I have not been able to disprove that the non-Christians Paul's yoke comment was referring to were false apostles.

If you are able to prove me wrong based on biblical data, I would like to see it.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm really not interested. I have spent enough time in academia to see, and feel sorry for, people who get caught up in minutiae . They often strain out a gnat and swallow a camel. I can't wait to see what Bible Myth 2 is. Bye for now. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is another example of why pescador is acting like an internet troll:

pescador makes a challenge:
It is an all too frequent mistake to take a personal idea then search for verses in the entire Bible to support that idea. It should be the other way around! As a wise professor in graduate school told me, "Try to prove yourself wrong." That principle applies here.

I answer the challenge:
You have misunderstood and misrepresented my thinking process. I started as a young Christian thinking that yoke = marriage. And that is what every Christian around me said as well. However, after I graduated from seminary, became a missionary and Bible teacher, I began to question the conclusion that yoke = marriage. So, I looked carefully at the usage of the word "yoke" throughout the Bible. I also studied the grammar of 2 Cor 6 in English and Greek. Furthermore, I studied the context of the entire Book.

I followed the exact process that your professor mentioned about proving yourself wrong. I proved that my initial belief that yoke = marriage was wrong. I proved that my secondary belief that yoke = association was wrong as well. I have not been able to disprove that the non-Christians Paul's yoke comment was referring to were false apostles.

If you are able to prove me wrong based on biblical data, I would like to see it.

pescador ignores the answer, makes insults, and runs away:
I'm really not interested. I have spent enough time in academia to see, and feel sorry for, people who get caught up in minutiae . They often strain out a gnat and swallow a camel. I can't wait to see what Bible Myth 2 is. Bye for now. :wave:

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Here is another example of why pescador is acting like an internet troll:

pescador makes a challenge:

I answer the challenge:

pescador ignores the answer, makes insults, and runs away:

This proves my point. You can't debate a subject but must turn the discussion into a personal attack. To whom are you showing off??

Believe me, your spirit will pay the price for this totally un-Christian behavior.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pointing out someone's indefensible behavior with direct quotes is not much of a personal attack. The problem is that your own words make you look bad, even in context.

For myself, I just want to have a reasonable discussion on the topic of yoke in the Bible. I still urge everyone to deal with the copious evidence that I have presented that yoke does not equal marriage.

Upvote 0