United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't see how they can do both.

Also, you may or may not be equally yoked with someone, but in a yoke, you will always be under someone. The people are yoked under a king, Christians are yoked under Jesus. Paul is telling the church not to be under the spiritual authority and teaching of nonchristians.

Friendship, business, and marriage are not referred to as yoke relationships. The actual Bible verses that I have posted make that clear.

The "yoke = marriage myth" is a triumph of bad theology over holy revelation.

You cannot be yoked -> under <- anyone. A yoke joins two people and/or animals as equals.

Christians are most definitely not yoked under Jesus. In Matthew's gospel Jesus says "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me", i.e., he's saying that we're in this together.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You cannot be yoked -> under <- anyone. A yoke joins two people and/or animals as equals.

Christians are most definitely not yoked under Jesus. In Matthew's gospel Jesus says "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me", i.e., he's saying that we're in this together.
This is pure misinformation!
Jesus is our king, not our team member.
Did you actually read the Bible verses that I posted on "yoke"?

For example,
Jer 2:20 "Long ago you broke off your yoke and tore off your bonds; you said, 'I will not serve you!' Indeed, on every high hill and under every spreading tree you lay down as a prostitute.

Ac 15:10 Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear?

Ga 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

In the New Testament, yoke refers to submission to authority. There is the yoke of Jesus and the yoke of slavery to the law of Moses. Paul is warning the church to leave the yoke of the judiazers, both in Galatians and Corinthians.

Also, according to Wikipedia, "A yoke may be used with a single animal. Oxen are normally worked in pairs, but water buffalo in Asian countries are commonly used singly, with the aid of a bow-shaped withers yoke.[3] Use of single bow or withers yokes on oxen is documented from North America, China, Zimbabwe, Tanzania and Switzerland, and several designs of single head or forehead yoke are recorded in Germany.[4]"

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is pure misinformation!
Jesus is our king, not our team member.
Did you actually read the Bible verses that I posted on "yoke"?

For example,
Jer 2:20 "Long ago you broke off your yoke and tore off your bonds; you said, 'I will not serve you!' Indeed, on every high hill and under every spreading tree you lay down as a prostitute.

Ac 15:10 Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear?

Ga 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

In the New Testament, yoke refers to submission to authority. There is the yoke of Jesus and the yoke of slavery to the law of Moses. Paul is warning the church to leave the yoke of the judiazers, both in Galatians and Corinthians.

Also, according to Wikipedia, "A yoke may be used with a single animal. Oxen are normally worked in pairs, but water buffalo in Asian countries are commonly used singly, with the aid of a bow-shaped withers yoke.[3] Use of single bow or withers yokes on oxen is documented from North America, China, Zimbabwe, Tanzania and Switzerland, and several designs of single head or forehead yoke are recorded in Germany.[4]"

It's not misinformation in the slightest; it's the truth.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Easy for you to claim. How about dealing with all of the evidence that I have provided that yoke refers to submission to authority in the Bible?

You haven't provided any reliable information. How can someone (or some animal) be yoked beneath their yokemate? It would be impossible to function. Of course, someone must own the yoke and animals (or people) and they must submit to their master but that's not what we're talking about.

Go visit a farm where animals are yoked together (or even harnessed together such as horses) and you might learn the truth.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will repeat myself. (If you can't deal with what the Bible actually says regarding yokes, you are not the kind of person I posted this thread for.)

For example,

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I will repeat myself. (If you can't deal with what the Bible actually says regarding yokes, you are not the kind of person I posted this thread for.)

For example,

So out of the entire Bible you cite three verses (only) out of context. Wonderful.

A yoke is a device to join two animals together (or it may be used with a single animal). It has nothing to do with submission to authority. Farmers and herdsmen use a yoke as a tool to achieve work, nothing more. Your definition is the equivalent of saying that a car isn't a car but a device to go fast. (It's still a car even when parked). You're "mixing apples and oranges".

BTW, you didn't include Matthew 11:28-30, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." How is finding rest for your souls (positive) equated with submission to authority(negative)?

It is an all too frequent mistake to take a personal idea then search for verses in the entire Bible to support that idea. It should be the other way around! As a wise professor in graduate school told me, "Try to prove yourself wrong." That principle applies here.

Finally, don't try to understand farming using Wikipedia. Visit a farm and watch contented animals achieve work for their master. If s/he's any good, there is no submission involved; that is the characteristic of an unskilled farmer.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So out of the entire Bible you cite three verses (only) out of context. Wonderful.
In my first post on this thread, I have three main points. In my second post, I have listed all the verses that refer to yoke to support my argument that yoke does not mean marriage in the Bible (there are many more than three verses listed).

As for your idle boasting of your superior farming knowledge. I find it desperate and unchristian. You should not pretend that I do not know what you are talking about.

Please deal with my Bible evidence that yoke does not mean marriage in the Bible. If you do not, we should assume that you cannot.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In my first post on this thread, I have three main points. In my second post, I have listed all the verses that refer to yoke to support my argument that yoke does not mean marriage in the Bible (there are many more than three verses listed).

As for your idle boasting of your superior farming knowledge. I find it desperate and unchristian. You should not pretend that I do not know what you are talking about.

Please deal with my Bible evidence that yoke does not mean marriage in the Bible. If you do not, we should assume that you cannot.

What a wonderful "Christian message"!

I have responded to the current discussion not to the original post.

A yoke generally means the apparatus to join two animals together to do farm work. It can symbolically mean joining two people together, such as "do not be yoked together with unbelievers". It can be used to describe marriage: a husband and wife are joined, i.e., yoked, together.

I don't care about "Bible evidence that yoke does not mean marriage in the Bible." It's trivial and pointless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Bible shows that yoke doesn't relate to marriage or fellowship. That is what this thread is about. Paul's teaching on yoke is concerned with being under the spiritual authority of nonchristians.

Continuing to associate yoke with marriage is against the scriptures.

Fallacious reasoning. Paul's writings also include being yoked in a positive sense. You obviously have a point to prove that you have decided in your own mind is true, then selectively use some out-of-context scripture to prove it. It should be the other way around: let the Bible teach you God's truth.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Some people have thought that yoke applies to all relationships in the world including business and casual friendship. However, in the same letter Paul makes it clear that relationships with nonchristians are acceptable, in fact, inevitable:

1 Corinthians 5:9I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sisterc but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

12What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”

So, once again we find that the word yoke has a specific meaning of being under the authority of someone. Paul warns the church not to be under the spiritual authority of nonchristians when he refers this unholy yoke. And obviously, in 1 Cor 5, Paul adds that we should not associate with the immoral people in the church who claim to be Christians. Just as obviously, Paul does not refer to association as a yoke.

To insist that the Bible uses the word yoke in any other meaning than "under someone's authority" is a myth. Don't spread myths. Spread the truth.

a) "yoke" isn't even mentioned here.
b) Don't spread myths.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What is this thread actually about? I don't accept the idea that it's really about what the Bible says, but about the marriage relationship.

I have been yoked together with my wonderful wife for almost fifty years. We are fully and totally equal partners in everything that we do. The idea that our being yoked together implies some submission to authority is absurd.

In Genesis it says "That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh." That is being yoked together evenly, period. It has nothing to do with being under human authority. We, individually and jointly, are under Christ's authority. There is nothing more to be said on the matter.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is this thread actually about? I don't accept the idea that it's really about what the Bible says, but about the marriage relationship.
It is about exactly what it claims to be. I am pointing out that the Bible never uses the word yoke in the context of marriage. I have posted all the Bible verses on yoke to show this point.

You may call marriage a yoke, but the Bible does not. You cannot refute the Bible verses that I list for evidence, so you attack. Paul's writing clearly shows that he uses yoke in the context of being under authority. This usage is consistent with the rest of the Bible

1Ti 6:1 All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God's name and our teaching may not be slandered.

1Ki 12:4 "Your father put a heavy yoke on us, but now lighten the harsh labor and the heavy yoke he put on us, and we will serve you."

Ps 106:28 They yoked themselves to the Baal of Peor and ate sacrifices offered to lifeless gods;

Jer 27:11 But if any nation will bow its neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon and serve him, I will let that nation remain in its own land to till it and to live there, declares the Lord."'"

I have already posted about 60 of these verses that show yoke as a metaphor for submission to authority. The Bible provides overwhelming testimony that my message is true. Can you deal with this or are you going to attack me again?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is about exactly what it claims to be. I am pointing out that the Bible never uses the word yoke in the context of marriage. I have posted all the Bible verses on yoke to show this point.

You may call marriage a yoke, but the Bible does not. You cannot refute the Bible verses that I list for evidence, so you attack. Paul's writing clearly shows that he uses yoke in the context of being under authority. This usage is consistent with the rest of the Bible

1Ti 6:1 All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God's name and our teaching may not be slandered.

1Ki 12:4 "Your father put a heavy yoke on us, but now lighten the harsh labor and the heavy yoke he put on us, and we will serve you."

Ps 106:28 They yoked themselves to the Baal of Peor and ate sacrifices offered to lifeless gods;

Jer 27:11 But if any nation will bow its neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon and serve him, I will let that nation remain in its own land to till it and to live there, declares the Lord."'"

I have already posted about 60 of these verses that show yoke as a metaphor for submission to authority. The Bible provides overwhelming testimony that my message is true. Can you deal with this or are you going to attack me again?

You say, "The Bible provides overwhelming testimony that my message is true." -- to you perhaps because, as I said earlier, you have decided in advance (incorrectly) that yoke means submission to authority. So you take your concordance and cherry-pick verses out of context to prove your point. I will not accept what you say but what the Bible clearly says on the matter. Being yoked together means being joined together. There is no other biblical interpretation possible.

P.S. Why do you refer to this subject as "Bible myth 1"??

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you take your concordance and cherry-pick verses out of context to prove your point.
A false accusation. I have actually listed every verse that uses the word yoke in English. Every single one. Let me know if I have missed any. You should check the contexts for yourself before you accuse me of taking them out of context. Can you show where I have gotten the context wrong?

The truth is that the Bible uses the word yoke for submission to authority and not for marriage, yet you ignore these many verses. The noble Bereans checked the Bible to see if Paul's message was true. I encourage you to do the same in our situation. I have listed many verses on yoke, surely you can study them and see for yourself that the context of yoke is more like slavery than marriage.

ps. I have two more myths that I want to discuss later, not on this thread. One regarding the misunderstanding of the word "passion" and the other the misunderstanding of the word "brokenness". Having said that, I don't want to talk further about them in this thread.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A false accusation. I have actually listed every verse that uses the word yoke in English. Every single one. Let me know if I have missed any. You should check the contexts for yourself before you accuse me of taking them out of context. Can you show where I have gotten the context wrong?

The truth is that the Bible uses the word yoke for submission to authority and not for marriage, yet you ignore these many verses. The noble Bereans checked the Bible to see if Paul's message was true. I encourage you to do the same in our situation. I have listed many verses on yoke, surely you can study them and see for yourself that the context of yoke is more like slavery than marriage.

ps. I have two more myths that I want to discuss later, not on this thread. One regarding the misunderstanding of the word "passion" and the other the misunderstanding of the word "brokenness". Having said that, I don't want to talk further about them in this thread.

As I said, using a concordance to list every verse (out of context) that contains the English word "yoke" means absolutely nothing. Nothing. A yoke is an inanimate object used to control farm animals and can mean, by extension, a symbolic joining of people together. You're really stretching it by having it, an inanimate object, mean submission to authority. If that was the case, don't you think the Bible authors would have plainly stated that principle, without someone many centuries later reading something into it that isn't there? You're clearly adding your own personal interpretation of what God's word says, which is a dangerous practice. People have done that for thousands of years, even forming cults around their personal interpretation.

Have a look at the discussion between Satan and Jesus when he was in the wilderness for forty days. Satan lifts verses out of context then adds his personal interpretation to prove a fallacious point. Of course Jesus knew what Satan was up to; he wasn't deceived by false interpretation.

As for me I stick 110% with what the Bible actually says. I am not infallible but I attempt as much as possible to keep an open mind. I never use the Bible to justify some personal opinion that I have created in advance.

I'm not sure why you created a thread about "Bible Myth 1" but it certainly doesn't fly with me and hopefully others. I truly wonder what your real motive is and why you feel so strongly about it.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
<snip>

Friendship, business, and marriage are not referred to as yoke relationships. The actual Bible verses that I have posted make that clear.

The "yoke = marriage myth" is a triumph of bad theology over holy revelation.

Paragraph 1: That's your personal interpretation.
Paragraph 2: So God reveals something to you but not to anybody else? How modest of you!

Upvote 0