Hawkes Bay New Zealand
✟135,529.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've just finished watching the Vikings series and really enjoyed the way it made history seem more accessible and real.
What are some movies or series that would give that kind of historical window onto the Biblical world, either old or new testament times? Preferably ones that are close to the Bible rather than having rock trolls etc like the Noah movie, and the more modern the better. Thanks for your ideas - I don't watch much TV!

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,585.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Oh, yeah, Vikings is good!

There's a recent Biblical series called Chosen. I've only watched a few episodes, and it seems reasonably good(ish). I feel like it's not quite as sophisticated as something like the Passion, and there were elements that turned me off a bit, but it has a decent production, and the guy who plays Jesus is pretty likeable. I didn't care too much for The Bible series or its follow-up series A.D. The Bible Continues. I found them to be rather awkward, but that's perhaps just me.

One thing that is difficult for me to get past is the idea of making a Biblical film or series and having the characters speak words with theological implications not spoken in the Bible. I didn't watch enough of Chosen to see much of that, however.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,393.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I feel like it's not quite as sophisticated as something like the Passion
Still waiting out of mild curiousity for the delayed Passion 2 which is supposedly based on the doctrine about Jesus' descent into the underworld (Enoch related?).

Last edited:
Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,062.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Apparently The Chosen is so good even the (very secularised) French are watching it.
The Chosen set to blitz French television screens

Anyone have any concerns with it or read any reviews critical? I've only heard good things so far - but haven't got around to it myself.

Upvote 0

Kenneth9820

Jul 23, 2022
Kansas
✟1,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, now there are actually not so many films and TV series of the Bible, but I will try to recommend something. For example, Barabbas, Ben-Hur, Exodus: Gods and Kings, Joseph: King of Dreams, King of Kings, Noah. You can buy them on Amazon, but in my opinion, why pay for anything when you can watch them on one of the wireless cable apps 40+ Best Kodi Addons: Sep 2022 [No Buffering, Working HD Addons]. But that's up to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Hello :)
I am interested in following this thread too

Paul, Apostle of Christ (2018) - I watched this recently and thought this was good.

Acts Of The Apostles (1994) - I haven't seen this yet but I want to, it's on my youtube's "watch later" :)
I have not seen the first one but I "think" that I have the second one and it is called "Falling Fire: The Gift of the Spirit and is Full Screen and about 3 hours long With Bruce Marchiano as Jesus. I thought it was very good personally. The Movie Jesus of Nazareth (1977) is a pretty good movie clocking in over 6 hours long with a lot of famous actors of the time in it. King of Kings (1961) another good movie about 3 hours long. Paul the Apostle of the Bible Collection (2001) a great film about 3 hours long. Peter and Paul (1981) over 3 hours long another good movie. I just realized I have a second copy of that 1994 movie called "The Visual Bible: Acts.
There is a Visual Bible: Matthew over 4 hours long with Bruce also as Jesus in it that is good and is word for word from the NIV translation.

I sort of collect Christian movies as I stumble across them second hand and have a small library of about 170 movies many of which are childrens movies (VeggieTales). I have the classic epic stories also like Ben Hurand The Robe and Demetrius and the Gladiators.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nettle

Aug 28, 2022
Private
✟21,844.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you Sophrosyne for the selection you posted there. Sometimes when there is a lot of options (media) it's a bit overwhelming to know just where to start, so I appreciate your recommendations. and I happen to like movies from the 60s/70s!

Reactions: Sophrosyne
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Thank you Sophrosyne for the selection you posted there. Sometimes when there is a lot of options (media) it's a bit overwhelming to know just where to start, so I appreciate your recommendations. and I happen to like movies from the 60s/70s!
I have collected most of the Epic Bible/Christian movies of those eras on DVD and Blu-Ray if available. I have one movie I want on Blu-Ray called Jesus of Nazareth (1977) but it is very hard to find as there was no release in the US for it you have to get a european release that is region free. I've had to opt to buying non US released of US movies because of that. One of my favorite classics is Ben-Hur (1959) with Charlton Heston.
I also have the A.D. movie the Bible continues (2015) series which is good but has some errors in it as a lot of these hollywood films that don't pay attention to scripture. It was a TV series that was canceled so it ends in a spot that is sort of a cliff hanger I don't recommend investing time into watching it if you don't like it being wrapped up.

Another very good movie is called Amazing Grace (2006) I also have a lot of the "Bible Collection" movies on of the better ones is David (2002), a newer non Bible type movie is Flywheel (2003), and then there is the Greates Story Ever Told (1965) over 3 hours star studded cast a good movie. Joseph of the Bible Collection (1995) is very good too. I think I mention Paul the Apostle already of the Bible Collection (2001) excellent in my opinion but not rated quite that good on IMDB. St. Peter (2005) with Omar Shariff is very good. I also liked The Story of Ruth (1960) very good movie.

I have a lot of mediocre Christian movies that were not hollywood creations in my collection. It may wrinkle some folks ire but one movie I was not a big fan of that was barely in the "good" category in my ratings is the Mel Gibson "Passion of the Christ" movie. The acting was very good Jim Caviezel was excellent but all the mystical nonsense and the totally stupid idea not to include an English (dubbed even) soundtrack of the movie on DVD made it rather unuseful for what the film was supposed to be targeted towards by too many "churches" as a tool for evangelism. After having to read subtitles for 2 hours I was glad it was over. I do have the Iconic Special Edition where they do have an english narrative that makes watching it more tolerable. They finally put out an English Dub of the movie way way too late as my interest in watching it a third time is zero. Perhaps in 10 years from now.

Anyway I likely missed a few movies I mainly spoke of those I rated about 7 or higher personally even though the OP was more about I believe movies/series that are akin to learning/teaching/documentary I think some of these movies have the less theological and more human type presentations of Christianity and the Bible etc.

Reactions: Nettle
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Chosen is a great series. Waiting for series 3 to air next.
I haven't seen any of that as I don't have any pay streaming services and refuse to download dozens of apps that don't have but one temporary use.

Upvote 0