Distributed Freely by Back To The Bible
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 19, 2013
Topic: Prayer

God's Answer to Your Prayers

Dr. Helen Roseveare, a missionary to Zaire (now called the Democratic Republic of the Congo), told the following story: "A mother at our mission station died after giving birth to a premature baby. No incubator was available--not even a serviceable hot water bottle. So during morning devotions we asked the children to pray for the baby. One of the girls responded: 'Dear God, please send a hot water bottle today. Tomorrow will be too late because by then the baby will be dead.' That afternoon a large package arrived. The children watched eagerly as we opened it. Much to their surprise, under some clothing was a hot water bottle! The heavenly Father knew in advance of that child's sincere request, and 5 months earlier He had led a ladies' group to include the needed item."

We've all heard stories of answered prayers and even experienced them in our own lives. But, sometimes, months or years will go by and a specific prayer will seem to elicit no answer. Let's allow God's Word to clarify our understanding of prayer.

Receive

"You don't have what you want because you don't ask God for it" (James 4:2, NLT). James is clear. If there is something we need, we have to pray for it. Often, for the Christian, the problem is not unanswered prayer but unasked prayer. Let's remember what Paul told us: "Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying" (Romans 12:12, NLT). He also tells us, "Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart" (Colossians 4:2, NLT).

The preceding verses urge us to pray, but what about the times we feel that our prayers are not answered. There are a number of reasons that may happen: we're praying outside of God's will; we don't understand completely the repercussions of what we're asking; it's not the right time. But the Bible makes it clear that there are other reasons. Read the following Scriptures and write out some of the reasons you find for unanswered prayer.

Psalm 66:18 (KJV)
James 4:3 (ESV)
Proverbs 1:28-30(NLT)
Isaiah 1:15 (NLT)
Isaiah 59:1-2 (NLT)

Reflect

Read the following Scriptures. What does God require for answered prayer?

"Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD?
And who shall stand in his holy place?

He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
who does not lift up his soul to what is false
and does not swear deceitfully" (Psalm 24:3-4, ESV).

"Wash yourselves and be clean!
Get your sins out of my sight.
Give up your evil ways.
Learn to do good.
Seek justice.
Help the oppressed.
Defend the cause of orphans.
Fight for the rights of widows" (Isaiah 1:16-17, NLT).

"So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world. Let there be tears for what you have done. Let there be sorrow and deep grief. Let there be sadness instead of laughter, and gloom instead of joy. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor" (James 4:7-10, NLT).

Respond

Now, take a few moments to pray for God's help; confess any wrongdoing to Him, consciously recognize your dependence on God; trust Him to hear your prayer.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 22, 2013
Topic: New Life

Object Lessons

The passage of the Bible we're looking at today begins with Jesus' announcement: "'The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified'" (John 12:23, ESV). That sounds like a very exciting prospect. It reminds me of the movie Aladdin where the boy wishes to become a prince. A huge celebration breaks out and the newly-made Prince Ali is paraded through the capital streets.

But Jesus was not about to be celebrated in such a princely fashion.

Receive

"'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life'" (vv. 24-25, ESV).

How are Jesus' words in verses 24 and 25 different in tone from verse 23?
Why did Jesus use an agricultural-type example to teach this truth?
What allows the grain of wheat to bear fruit?

Jesus' path to glory would ultimately end in heaven's throne room, but not before leading Him to the grave. Jesus was teaching His disciples a very important object lesson--you have to die in order to live. You have to give yourself to something larger than yourself in order to be of any value.

In Aladdin, the pauper-turned-prince had to drop his ruse in order to save the day. He had to put to death His princely persona. God created all of us with incredible potential: the ability to change lives forever. But before we can have any lasting value in His service, we need to embrace His life and His goals and leave behind our own.

Reflect

What do Jesus' words in the next verse mean for you today? "If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him" (v. 26, ESV).

Respond

As you think about how God might be calling you to serve Him today, take some time to express your worries and doubts to Him. God understands this isn't an easy calling, so give Him the opportunity to calm your fears and prepare you for greater things to come.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 23, 2013
Topic: Obedience/Discipleship

Get a Life

Maybe someone has said to you (or you've said to yourself), "You need to get a life!" If your heart was beating and your lungs were breathing in air, you knew the person wasn't talking about a physical life. Instead, your adviser was suggesting you needed to focus more on the things that make life enjoyable.

Jesus, on the other hand, tells us just the opposite. In John 12:25 (NASB), He says, "He who loves his life loses it; and he who hates his life in this world shall keep it to life eternal." Jesus expands upon this seeming contradiction in the Book of Matthew. Let's take a look.

Receive

Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done (Matthew 16:24-28, ESV).

What must a follower of Christ do?
What does Jesus mean by losing your "life"?
What promise do these verses end with?

Reflect

On the surface, it seems like Jesus is talking in contradictions. "Whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." It's only when we look at the context that it makes sense. Jesus is looking beyond the few years that we spend on earth. He has eternity in mind. The people who live totally for the "now," might gain great wealth and power, but they will leave it all behind when they die. Those people will lose everything they felt was worthwhile in life.

Even Christians can get sucked into focusing on things that are only temporal and forget that it's those things of eternal value that really matter. The life we want to be sure to "get" is not this life but the next one.

Respond

What is the focal point of your life--the things of the world or the things of Christ? Make a list of the most important things in your life. Put a star beside those things that have eternal value. Determine to focus on these items and put a lower priority on all the rest.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 24, 2013
Topic: Obedience/Discipleship, Worship/Praise/Worthiness

Reflecting Glory

We say it--"the chief end of man is to glorify God."
We sing it--"glorify His name"
We believe it--"Christians are to glorify God."

What that means and how to do it, however, few seem to understand. Jesus helps us know how we can give glory to God.

Receive

"'I brought glory to You here on earth by doing everything You told Me to do'" (John 17:4, NLT).

Jesus brought glory to the Father by living obediently every day. We can do not only the same through our obedience, but Paul tells us that glorifying God permeates the life of the Christian. Here's how Paul puts this truth:

"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31, ESV).

So, if we are to follow the example of Jesus and bring glory to God, we must purpose to live reflecting Christ's glory and walking in obedience.

Scripture gives us specific actions that will bring glory to God. Here are two examples from the Bible.

"'You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven'" (Matthew 5:14-16, ESV).

"Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body" (1 Corinthians 6:18-20, ESV).

In light of the verses in Matthew and 1 Corinthians, summarize the two things we can do to bring glory to God. What are two things that will not glorify God?

Reflect

Living to glorify God comes down to our choices. It doesn't depend on our parents, friends, church family, fellow employees or students or the government. Read the following Scriptures and write down ways that you could choose to glorify God.

I can glorify God by choosing to

Romans 4:20 _______________________________

Psalm 50:23 _______________________________

John 21:19 ________________________________

Philippians 2:11 __________________________________

1 Peter 4:14; 1 Peter 4:16 _____________________

2 Thessalonians 1:12 _______________________________

John 15:8; Philippians 1:11 _________________________

1 Peter 4:11 ________________________________

Respond

Will there be glory in heaven? Oh, yes! The Father, Son and Spirit will be there in all their glory. Can there be glory on earth? That depends on whether Christ-followers live to glorify God. Make your choice today.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 25, 2013
Topic: Holiness

Stay Spotless

When Hebrew believers in Old Testament times wanted to present a blood sacrifice to God, they searched out a lamb or other proper animal with absolutely no imperfections or injuries, so the Lord could accept the offering. God's requirement for perfection was to teach the people of Israel the gravity of their sin and the necessity for a perfect substitute to die in their place.

All of the Old Testament sacrifices were a foreshadowing, or an object lesson, predicting the coming sacrifice of Jesus Christ, the perfect Lamb of God, on the cross.

Receive

First Peter 1:17-19 (ESV) refers to the priceless blood of Christ as follows: "And if you call on him as Father who judges impartially according to each one's deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile, knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot."

Christ, the spotless Lamb, took your place to pay for all of your sin. His sacrifice was completely acceptable to God. Nothing more is needed for your salvation and nothing less is sufficient. When you are saved by the blood of Christ, you are washed spotlessly clean and made acceptable to God. In God's sight, you are completely forgiven and there is no spot of sin to keep you from being His child.

Read about spotlessness in Ephesians 5:25-27 in your Bible.

To what does the apostle Paul compare the proper love of a husband for his wife?
What did Christ give up for the Church?
To whom will the Church be presented in the future?
What qualities will characterize the Church of the future?

Reflect

So, as a Christian, saved by the blood of Christ, you are made spotless by Christ. But wait a minute! Why did Peter write 2 Peter 3:13-14? Look that up and answer these questions.

Is Peter writing to Christians or unbelievers?
What are the recipients of his letter to be careful to do (v.14)?

You see, then, that although Christ has made you spotless and perfect, you are still responsible to get rid of any spots that you might get as you travel along in your Christian life. So, how does that work?

In John 13:3-10, you'll find a lesson about keeping clean. Read that passage of Scripture now.

What was Jesus going to do that shocked Peter?
What was Jesus' warning to Peter?
How did Peter respond to Jesus' warning?
After a person has a complete bath, what gets dirty first?

Jesus is saying that when you take a bath, you are clean; but when you walk on a dusty road, you'll need to wash your feet before you come back into the house. Your spiritual life is like that too. When you are saved, Jesus has completely washed your sins away. You are totally forgiven. But because you live in this world and because you will sometimes be stained by sin, you will need an occasional footbath. That is what 1 John 1:9 tells you. If you sin, you don't lose your salvation. You just need to truly confess your sins in order to be entirely clean again and restore your fellowship with God.

Respond

Do you have a spot that needs removing? Feet that need washing? Does your fellowship with God need to be restored? Keep 1 John 1:9 in your head and heart: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Write out a prayer of confession.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 26, 2013
Topic: Jesus

One and the Same

I knew this would be a challenging topic to write about as soon as I opened a theology book and read, "This concept of the hypostatic or one-person union of the divine and human natures in one person is probably one of the most difficult concepts to comprehend in theology."*

Why do Christians even bother with such a complicated concept? Why don't we just say that Jesus was fully God--or fully man--and get on with it? Well, because the Bible won't let us get away with that. In fact, in many cases, it's Jesus' own words that clue us in to His utterly unique person.

*Charles C. Ryrie "Basic Theology" 1999 p. 287.

Receive

It's easy to grasp that Jesus was a man. We have stories of His birth in Bethlehem, His growing up in Nazareth. We see Him eating with friends and dying a horrible death.

But He was also fully God. How do the following verses convince you of that fact?

Read John 10:30. What is Jesus saying about Himself in this verse?
What does Jesus tell His disciples in Matthew 16:21?
What is Jesus doing in Mark 5?
What miracle does Jesus perform in John 11:42-45?

In John 14, Jesus comforts His disciples by saying, "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me" (v. 1, ESV). Here again, Jesus was saying that as a man, He is every bit as worthy of our belief and trust as God.

In the end, we can only conclude that Jesus was an utterly unique individual--"full Deity and perfect humanity united without mixture, change, division, or separation in one person forever."*

*Charles C. Ryrie "Basic Theology," 1999 p. 284.

Reflect

Why is it important that we understand that Jesus was fully God and fully man?
Could Jesus have carried out His mission on earth if He had not been fully God and fully man?
What are the dangers of ignoring one or the other aspect of Jesus' unique nature?

Respond

Take a piece of paper and make two columns. Label one column as "Man" and the other as "God." Read through the Gospel accounts of Jesus' life. List under the appropriate column those verses that indicate the humanity of Christ or the deity of Christ. Give thanks that He was both "man" and "God."

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 29, 2013
Topic: Faith/Trust, Christian Living/Situational

Promises, Promises

I'm looking for a new place to live and that means all those crazy questions I hate to deal with. Do I get an apartment or a townhome or a house? Should I rent or buy? And then there's the packing and moving. Not something I'm excited about. That's one reason I look longingly at a promise Jesus made.

Receive

In John 14, Jesus is preparing His disciples for what's ahead: His death, Resurrection and return to heaven. He promises them several important things including, "In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also" (John 14:2-3, ESV).

Take a few minutes to read through John 14.

What promises do you find Jesus making?
Which promises have already been fulfilled?
Which ones are you still waiting for?
How is God the Father involved?
What reassurance does Jesus give you as you wait on His promises?
How do you find peace and comfort?

If you want to do a little more, read John 15 and 16, too, asking the same questions.

Reflect

One reason Jesus returned to heaven was to prepare a place for those who believe and follow Him. I like that--there's a home waiting for me--one I don't have to worry about or pack for, and that's a very good thing.

Jesus goes one better in His promise. Not only is He getting it ready, but He will come back and take us there. Personal service from the Lord Himself!

This is a future promise; it hasn't happened yet. But we can trust that it will because it fits with all the other promises made by Jesus the Son and God the Father. For example, in John 14:15-17, Jesus promises "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you" (ESV). What will this helper do? John 14:26 tells us, "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you."

The Spirit has come; He takes up residence in all who believe. That's a promise kept. And it gives us confidence that God keeps other promises too.

Respond

From the very beginning God made and kept promises--to Adam and Eve, to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, David, etc. Through Jesus, He kept the promise of redemption and eternal life. And through Jesus, we're also promised help for living today and peace for what comes in the future. God's track record is superior in the promise department; it's based on His faithful, purposeful, unchanging character.

So, how have you seen God deliver on His promises? Which ones do you struggle to trust Him for? Which promises have you found in the Bible that mean the most to you?

Take a moment to thank God for making and keeping His promises, and ask Him to help you trust Him for those you still struggle to understand.

"All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen" (Ralph Waldo Emerson).

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 30, 2013
Topic: Salvation, Jesus, Evangelism

The Only Way

Do you realize all religions contradict each other? And, logically, there are only two reasons: Either they are all false or there is only one that is true. And the Bible makes it clear that the one true religion is Christianity and that Jesus is the Way--the only way to God.

Receive

What name recorded in Acts 24:14 were the early Christians known by?
What does Jesus call Himself in John 14:6?

The Bible teaches us about the Way to God.

Why does John say he wrote down the miracles Jesus performed (John 20:30-31)?
Whom does Acts 10:43 say that everyone must believe in to receive forgiveness of sin?
Who does Acts 4:11-12 tell you is the "stone"? What does the verse mean by that term? By what name do you receive salvation? Is any other name mentioned?
Paul stated the truth that Jesus is the only way to God firmly. To him it was unquestionable.

"For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity--the man Christ Jesus" (1 Timothy 2:5, NLT).

"There is only one God, and he makes people right with himself only by faith, whether they are Jews or Gentiles" (Romans 3:30, NLT).

Reflect

Who/what is the narrow gate referred to in the verse below?
Why do so few find the narrow gate?
What makes the way that leads to destruction the easy way?
What does the narrow gate lead to?

"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few" (Matthew 7:13-14, ESV).

Respond

Remember, God did not send Jesus to exclude people from heaven but in His love and grace, sent Jesus so we could go to heaven.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him" (John 3:16-17, ESV).

Are you on your way to heaven? You can be, if you will trust Jesus as your Savior and Lord. You'll be a part of God's family and all those who have discovered that Jesus and only Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 31, 2013

Like the Father

H.G. Wells, the English science fiction writer, was not known as a religious man. But after he studied the history of mankind and observed life, he decided this: "Until a man has found God and been found by God, he begins at no beginning and he works to no end. He may have friendships, partial loyalties, even some honor. But all these things fall into place and life falls into place only with God."

Has your life fallen into place? Perhaps, as H. G. Wells suggests, you need to get to know God better. Let's see how you can do that.

Receive

"Philip said to him, 'Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.' Jesus said to him, 'Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, "Show us the Father"? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves'" (John 14:8-11).

How does Jesus respond to Philip's request to be shown the Father?
According to Jesus, on whose authority did He speak and act?
What effect were Christ's works to have?

Reflect

The disciples had spent nearly three years with Jesus. They heard Him teach and they saw Him do many miraculous things--healing the sick, raising the dead, walking on water. Through the eyes of the Gospel writers, we, too, have seen those things.

And for what purpose? John made a point to call these works "signs" (John 2:11,4:52,6:14,12:17-18.). They were like neon arrows pointing to the Savior. See Him have compassion for those who were in trouble; see His power over nature and even death itself. That's what the Father is like.

Respond

The better you know Jesus, the better you know the Father. And how do we get to know Jesus? By reading God's Word. Plan to read through the Gospel of John during the next week (that would mean three chapters a day). Take special note of those passages where Jesus performs a "sign" (a miracle). Write down the "sign," and indicate what it reveals about Jesus and the Father; also indicate what it means to you.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Bible Study

Title: Ponder Prayer's Condition
Date: Aug 1, 2013
Topic(s): Prayer
Scripture: 1 John 3:22, Matthew 21:22, Psalm 145:18-19, Psalm 37:4, Proverbs 15:29, John 15:7, Luke 18:1, John 14:13

You may have heard someone say, "That promise of God in the Bible is conditional." What does that mean?

Well, suppose you walk into a bank, go up to the teller and say, "I need some money. How about giving me 50 dollars?"

The bank teller says, "I'll have to ask you a few questions. Do you have an account here?"

"No," you reply.

Then the teller says, "Well, here are the conditions. First, you'll have to set up an account and deposit some money in it; then you can get a checkbook and you'll be able to write a check for the amount you need--but not for more than you have in the account. You will have to furnish your Social Security number and some other form of identification. And, by the way, our hours are from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m."

"All I wanted was 50 dollars," you complain.

"Sorry. Have a good day," she says.

Well, there are likely times when you have had a bad day in prayer. Is there a chance it could be that you came to God without paying attention to the conditions?

Receive

Let's say you open your Bible and read John 14:13-14.

"Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it" (ESV).

You pick out, "Ask whatever." "This I will do." "Ask Me anything." "I will do it."

So, you pray. But, hey, wait a minute! Did you miss something? Are there possibly some conditions there?

How about these for starters: (1) Are you asking in Jesus' name? (2) Does what you are asking glorify the Father? Both conditions must be met.

Asking in Jesus' name doesn't mean tacking that phrase on the end of your prayer. That's not the condition Jesus was talking about. When you ask in Jesus' name, you are asking for what He would pray for, by His authority, in His will.

Glorifying God the Father means what you are asking will bring honor--glory--to Him. That doesn't mean everything you pray about has to be something super-spiritual, but it does mean that pleasing God is a consideration when you ask Him for needs or wants.

Here are some other prayer promises. Read them in your Bible and jot down any conditions you see:

Psalms 37:4
Psalms 145:18-19
Proverbs 15:29
Matthew 21:22
John 15:7
1 John 3:22

Reflect

Sometimes at the bank, even though you have met the conditions, you can't get your money. For example, the bank may not be open on holidays or the computers might be down.

Likewise, there are times when, even though you have come to the Lord in the right way, He, for His own purposes, may delay the answer.

That doesn't mean God goes on vacation or that His computer needs maintenance, but sometimes God has a greater purpose, unknown to the person who is praying, such as some work the Spirit of God is doing in the life of a person he or she is praying for. But Jesus says that we "always ought to pray and not lose heart" (Luke 18:1, ESV). And always keep in mind that God supernaturally works beyond the realm of our knowledge.

Respond

Before you pray, take time to think about what God's will may be in the matter. We are accustomed to saying, "If it is Your will" while we are praying, but it is better to see what God's Word has to say and what the true need is before you pray. You might ask yourself, How would Jesus pray in this matter?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 2, 2013
Topic: New Life

Jesus' Last Will

Imagine receiving a spectacular inheritance, and then ignoring it. The Bible talks about something Jesus left for all of us in His will that many Christians ignore.

Wait. Jesus left a will? John 14:27 records for us Jesus' last will, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid" (ESV).

Many Christians don't seem to have this peace in their lives. So, how do you embrace your inheritance? Paul has the answer to finding peace in his letter written, strangely enough, while in prison.

Receive

Near the close of his letter to the Philippians, Paul writes, "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:4-7, ESV).

What does Paul tell us to do first?
What does "let your reasonableness be known to everyone" mean?
How does "do not be anxious," relate to "rejoice in the Lord"?
How do we need to make our requests to God?
What image does "guard your hearts" create in your mind?

In the times we need peace the most, rejoicing may not be the first thing on our minds. But it's not just, "rejoice"; it's, "rejoice in the Lord." And it's not just "rejoice in the Lord" when things get bad; it's, "rejoice in the Lord always." The first step to finding the peace that Jesus promised is to always keep your mind focused on the blessings He provides every day.

Paul also talks about not being anxious about anything and bringing our requests to God in prayer and supplication. Now, this doesn't mean that God will just remove us from whatever stressful situation we might be in. He might, but often what He'll do is give us a fresh perspective on our situation. He'll show us that He is in control.

Reflect

Peace--it may sound good to be true. But look at Paul's own example. Read Philippians 1:12-14 and see how and why Paul rejoiced even while in prison.

What was Paul's concern even more than his own comfort or advancement?
What did Paul find to be happy about?
What situation in your life can you apply these verses to?

Respond

Are you struggling to find a reason to rejoice in God these days? Believe me, I know--it's hard to find them some days. There have been times when all I could do is repeat Romans 8:28 over and over to myself.

Find that verse, and memorize it. And as you spend time with God in His Word each day, ask Him to speak to you the words you need to hear. And pray for His peace that surpasses all understanding.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 5, 2013
Topic: Other

Peace for Troubled Hearts

According to the U. S. Census Bureau's "Population Clock," the world's population is ticking closer and closer to seven billion.

How many troubled hearts do you suppose there are in the world?

There appears to be no end of thoughts that can trouble people. They are troubled about their past: Wrecked relationships, failures, lost opportunities, sinful habits and bad decisions are some of the old, haunting concerns. Then, they are troubled by their present: Where will the next meal come from? Family frictions, health problems, financial woes, uncertain jobs, aging and uncertainties about a myriad of other things that disturb minds everywhere. Finally, people are troubled about their future: How and when will I die? Do I have the right religion? What lies beyond the grave? If there is a God, am I prepared to meet Him? Will I go to hell?

It would seem that peaceful, untroubled hearts are pretty rare among the world's seven billion. Is there a way to cure troubled hearts? Jesus offers a solution.

Receive

The angels introduced Christ's birth to the world with the wonderful announcement of peace on earth among men with whom God is well pleased (Luke 2:14, NASB). That peace was to come, not through human negotiations, but through the person of Christ Himself.

Shortly before He was put to death, Jesus assured His disciples that their hearts were not to be troubled--that He was the sole source of lasting peace that could free them from the troubles of their past, their present and their future. He said, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid" (John 14:27, ESV).

Peace for troubled hearts comes from having a right relationship with the person of Christ. It's not found in drugs, alcohol, religion or any other human solution.

Reflect

Much personal suffering, anxiety and lack of peace may be related to your past life. How does Jesus give you peace if you are troubled by your past? Find the following Bible verses and answer the related questions.

Isaiah 53:5. In this prophecy of Christ, what do you see that He has done to make peace possible for you?
Acts 10:43. What does the person who believes in Christ receive?
Colossians 2:13-14. What was your past condition? What does Jesus do for the believer?

Is your present life troubling you? What does being rightly related to Christ do to alleviate these issues?

Romans 5:1. What act of God assures the believer of peace with Him?
Galatians 5:22-23. What does this passage say about the source of present peace for the believer?
Isaiah 26:3. Who is kept in perfect peace by God?
Philippians 4:6-7. How is the peace of God obtained? What does this peace do for you?

What about the future?

Isaiah 55:12. How does God describe the future peace of His people?
Revelation 1:4. What promise of Christ's eternal presence and peace do you see in this verse?
Hebrews 13:8. What assurance do you see in this verse that the peace which Christ gives a believer today will last forever?

Respond

Consider the things that may be troubling you today. Have you accepted God's forgiveness of your past? Are you resting in the peace Christ gives in this present hour?

Based on His Word, are you confident that the Lord has a peaceful, perfect future for you?

Memorize Philippians 4:6-7 (ESV), which has not only one of the greatest prayer promises in the Bible but also a promise of peace that only God can give:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 6, 2013
Topic: Jesus, Christian Living/Situational

Secret of Strength

What's the biggest frustration for people who want to live godly lives? For many (including me), it's the inability to do just that. Do you ever feel that way? Well, the Bible has a solution.

Receive

First, let's look at the problem. Below are the words of the apostle Paul:

"I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate....For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing" (Romans 7:15-19, ESV).

Now, let's look for answers to this problem. Look up John 15:5 and answer the following questions:

Whose words are these?
What does He expect you to be able to do on your own?
Which words in that verse stand out to you?
Why do those words make such an impact on you?

The Bible teaches that only through Jesus can a person have a relationship with God (see John 14:6). And now we see that there is a parallel truth--the only way to have the strength to live a godly life is through Jesus.

Let's read a bit more of the passage in John 15 so we'll have a better understanding of what Jesus is teaching.

"'I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.'

"'Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned" (John 15:1,4-6, NLT).

Reflect

Take a few moments and write down what you think Jesus wants you to know about the source of your strength and ability to live for Him.

Why is it so critical that a Christ-follower know this truth?

Respond

Listen to the apostle Paul as he affirms this truth.

"May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation--the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ--for this will bring much glory and praise to God" (Philippians 1:11, NLT).

What difference will it make in your day and your life to know that good things are produced in your life, not by your effort, but by the presence and power of Jesus? That's worth praying about and praising Him for!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 7, 2013
Topic: Faith/Trust, Christian Living/Situational, Obedience/Discipleship

All About Abiding

"Abide in Christ": It's one of those classic Christian phrases we like to toss around to explain how to live as a believer. But what does it mean for us in practical terms? In His parable of the Vine, Jesus shows us what it means to "abide."

Receive

During His last teaching session with His disciples, Jesus talked about abiding in Him. In John 15, Jesus says He is the vine and God the Father is the vinedresser or caretaker of the vine. Then, "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing" (John 15:5, ESV).

Jesus is the vine, and we are the branches. He is the core, the source, the root that feeds us, connects us, and helps us grow to fruitfulness. Without Him, we're just dried-up twigs. Abiding means we're connected to His life. John 15:4 underscores this, "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me" (ESV).

The root meaning of abide is "to dwell" or "to take up residence." It has a sense of moving in and settling down--you're at home. And with Jesus, it works both ways: We take up residence in Him and He lives in us. As branches on the vine, we need Him to live in us, to pour His life through us. Without Him, we can do nothing. It's that connection at the core that brings us life and fruitfulness.

Reflect

Go back and read through John 15:1-11.

What is the Father looking for from us as the branches of the vine (15:2-4)?
What happens to those who do not abide (15:2,6)?
What's the blessing for those who do stay connected to the vine (15:5-7)?
How do we prove we're disciples (15:8.)?
How does love fuel this "abiding" (15:9-10)?
How does Jesus demonstrate abiding (15:9-10)?

Respond

There's a lot of good stuff that comes with abiding: love, growth, fruitfulness, answered prayer, glory for God. But it's the daily-ness of abiding that we stumble over. We often let the cares and busyness of life crowd out our connection with Jesus.

Would you say Jesus is "at home" in your life? Or do you treat Him like someone who just drops by once in awhile? Do you find yourself thinking that you just have to "go it alone" most of the time? Or are you drawing on all the strength and hope and purpose He offers? Do you find your life and joy in Him? Is it a matter of love?

The best way to stay connected or plugged into Jesus is through the Word of God. The Bible offers all the words of life we need; it's how we see, listen and learn from Jesus. It's how we know that God loves us and how we can respond to Him in love as well. When you make daily connecting with Jesus your focus, you're on your way to a fruitful life of abiding.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 8, 2013
Topic: Christian Living/Situational

Pruning for Eternity

"Our rose bush looks so weak and scraggly," my wife said. "It has beautiful blossoms, but somebody needs to prune it."

"No problem," I assured her, as I visualized a splendid crop of big, pink roses blooming the next year. "I'll take care of it."

I did take care of it. I pruned the bush so it was much shorter than it had been and, lo and behold, the next year there were flowers on it--very small, unattractive, pale ones that didn't resemble our beautiful pink blooms at all.

As it turned out, I had pruned the rose bush below the spot where it was originally grafted into a wild rose root. All I had left was an unsightly wild rose plant and an unhappy wife.

This all goes to show that correctly pruning a vine, bush or tree requires some expertise which I apparently lacked.

God, however, is an expert in pruning--both physical and spiritual.

Receive

Jesus says in John 15:1-2 (ESV): "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch of mine that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit."

Who does the pruning?
What is the expected outcome of pruning?

Reflect

What are some of the fruits that God wants to see in your life? See the following Bible verses; jot down the fruit that is mentioned and answer the questions.

Colossians 1:10. The fruit ____________. What lifestyles do you see that go along with bearing fruit?
Hebrews 13:15. The fruit ____________. How is this spiritual fruit described?
Hebrews 12:11. The fruit ____________. What produces this fruit? (See also Philippians 1:9-11).
Ephesians 5:9. The fruit ____________. In what three things is this fruit found?
Galatians 5:22-23. The fruit ____________. Name the nine aspects of this fruit.

Respond

Consider the different spiritual fruits you listed in the "Reflect" section above. Do you see any areas where your life isn't producing those fruits? Can you identify specific twigs He needs to prune away?

Here is a helpful verse to commit to memory: "By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples" (John 15: 8, ESV).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 9, 2013
Topic: Jesus, Christian Living/Situational

Friend of Jesus

Have you ever had someone dislike you because of something you've said or done? Most of us have experienced that. Have you ever had someone dislike you because of one of your friends? If you're a Christian, that has happened--or will happen someday. Why? Jesus explains.

Receive

"'I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn't confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. You didn't choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name'" (John 15:15-16, NLT).

Jesus reminds us that as Christ-followers we are not just His servants, but we are His friends. Being a friend of Jesus is one of the privileges of being a Christian. But Jesus makes a prediction for His friends.

"The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you" (John 15:19, NLT).

What kind of prediction did Jesus make for His friends?
According to these verses, why will the world hate you?

Read the following verses and answer the questions.

Matthew 12:14

Why did the Pharisees call a meeting in Matthew 12?

Luke 4:28-30

Who was furious with Jesus in Luke 4:28-30?
What did they do to Jesus?
What did they intend to do?
How did Jesus get away?

John 8:57-59

Who was upset with Jesus in these verses?
What did they use to express their anger?
How did Jesus get away?

After reading the above verses, what do you learn about the relationships Jesus had with others (especially the religious leaders) during the last three years of His life?

Reflect

Do you understand why as a Christ-follower you will be disliked or hated even though you have done nothing to deserve it?

Dr. Woodrow Kroll, Bible Teacher, clarifies: "When you live a life that pleases the Lord, you are a problem to people who don't please the Lord. So, is it any wonder, then, that the world hates you? When I say to you, 'Have a good and godly day,' I am saying to you, 'You do that, and you're going to be hated because of it.' Why? Because the world doesn't know God."

Randomly scribble any words that express how you feel when you consider that you will be hated and perhaps even persecuted someday because of your faith.

If "fear" or a similar emotion is on your list, take your list before God and tell Him how you feel. Then think about this.

How does Jesus expect you to respond to hostility and perhaps even persecution? (Matthew 5:44, Romans 12:14).
Who will give you the strength to respond appropriately? (Ephesians 3:16).

Respond

Are you a friend of Jesus? If so, you can expect some people to have a very negative reaction to you.

Ask the Lord to strengthen you by the power of the Holy Spirit and to give you the character of Christ, in particular His courage and compassion. See Acts 6 and 7 for Stephen's example.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 12, 2013
Topic: Jesus, Joy, New Life, Holy Spirit

Sorrow into Joy

When you're dealing with grief and sorrow, there are times when you feel like you'll never be happy again, when the idea of joy is just a joke...and not a funny one. But if you keep going, there's another moment you will eventually reach: You will realize the worst is over and joy is still possible.

Receive

In John 16, Jesus prepared His disciples for those moments. In a few hours, He would be arrested and crucified, and they'd grieve over His death. He knew the loss they'd feel when He returned to heaven after His Resurrection. But Jesus told these friends, "I tell you the truth, you will weep and mourn over what is going to happen to me, but the world will rejoice. You will grieve, but your grief will suddenly turn to wonderful joy" (John 16:20, NLT).

Jesus promises that joy will be restored, and He illustrates that in John 16:21, "It will be like a woman suffering the pains of labor. When her child is born, her anguish gives way to joy because she has brought a new baby into the world" (NLT). The process of birthing a child is painful and hard but once that baby's in his mother's arms, she rejoices.

The reason for joy is that Jesus gives new life and promises His return. First, from the grave, and later--the one we look forward to--from heaven to take us home with Him. He says, "So you have sorrow now, but I will see you again; then you will rejoice, and no one can rob you of that joy" (John 16:22, NLT). No one can take away that joy! It's the real deal, and it lasts.

Reflect

What else produces joy? See what you can find in these passages:

John 15:7-11

Acts 11:20-23

Romans 4:6-8

Romans 15:13

Galatians 5:22-23

Philippians 2:16-18

Respond

So, where are you right now? Lost in sorrow, grieving or feeling hopeless? Or have you begun to see that joy is possible? Joy is more than feeling happy; it's a positive confidence that God is faithful to His promises and working on your behalf. It's a quiet trust that the Holy Spirit is carrying the load and filling you with all that you need.

Ask God to show you how to move forward; pray that the Holy Spirit would fill you each day with that sense of joy. Psalm 30:5 promises "Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning" (NLT).

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 13, 2013
Topic: God's Care, Prayer, Obedience/Discipleship

Authority for Prayer

Have you ever been given special treatment because of someone you know? Ushered through a crowd of waiting people because you know the owner of a restaurant? Allowed behind the scenes of a play because you know the manager of the company? Given a discount on a car because you are friends with the owner of the franchise?

You have that kind of access to God the Father, and you get that kind of special treatment because of someone you know: His Son, Jesus.

Receive

In the following verse, Jesus was preparing the disciples for the future. He was telling them that soon things would change. He would go away. (He was preparing them for the time He would die on the cross and later ascend to heaven.)

"At that time you won't need to ask me for anything. I tell you the truth, you will ask the Father directly, and he will grant your request because you use my name" (John 16:23, ESV, italics added).

Until Jesus left, where would the disciples take their needs or questions?
Where would they take them after Jesus was gone?
Whose name would they make requests in after Jesus was gone?
Why would God grant their requests?

Jesus was God's Son and His death on the cross would ensure that His disciples--including us--would have access to God because we could go to Him in His Son's name.

"You haven't done this before. Ask, using my name, and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy" (John 16:24, ESV).

Reflect

Jesus isn't promising a blank check in these verses. But He is promising you the resources you need to carry out His plan for your life.

What are some requests God probably wouldn't honor (see James 4:3)?
Think about what God wants you to do? Do you need to ask Him for anything to help you accomplish His plan for you?
What does it mean to you to know you can ask God for anything in Jesus' name?

Respond

Write down any requests you make in Jesus' name this week and attach them to your refrigerator with a magnet. Then note the answer and the date "you receive" what you've asked for. With "abundant joy," give God the glory each time you note an answer.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 14, 2013
Topic: Salvation

What Must I Do?

Twice in the Gospel of Luke, Jesus is approached with very similar questions: "What shall I do to inherit eternal life?" (Luke 10:25, ESV); "What must I do to inherit eternal life?" (Luke 18:18, ESV). Each time, the questioner left dissatisfied.

Let's look at these passages to find out why.

Receive

The first time this question was asked, the questioner was a lawyer--someone who was an expert in interpreting the Jewish law. Read Luke 10:25-29.

Jesus turns the question back to the "expert." What does the lawyer say?
What is Jesus' response to the lawyer's answer?
How did the lawyer react to Jesus' response?

The second time this question was asked, the questioner was a rich young man. Read Luke 18:18-23.

How does Jesus respond to the young man's question?
What does the young man's answer indicate about his heart attitude?
What flaw in the young man's character does Jesus reveal?
What was the young man's response?

Reflect

If you look carefully at both of these questions, you'll find that the lawyer and the young man had three important words in common. The first word is "I." Each was focused on himself. "What can I ...?" The second word is "do." They were both seeking a salvation that came from doing something. And the third word is "inherit." An inheritance is something you receive in the future based on your relationship with the one who died. No wonder the lawyer tried to justify himself and the young man went away disappointed. Neither understood the way to eternal life.

Let's contrast this with Jesus' version of eternal life. He told His Father, "I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me" (John 10:28, ESV).

Who is the source of eternal life?
How does a person gain eternal life?
When does this eternal life begin (notice the tense of the verb "give")?

Respond

Are you looking to "inherit" eternal life or to receive eternal life? Are you seeking to "do" or to be given? If you've never received this special gift, why wait? Visit our "Meet Jesus" page, and begin your eternal life right now.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 15, 2013

Mark of Discipleship

Being from Nebraska, I'm automatically expected to be a devoted follower of Nebraska football. But if anyone asks me, I say, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, "I'm a fan, but not a fanatic." What I mean is that while I enjoy watching the games, I can't, for instance, name any player on the roster let alone his stats for the last two seasons.

When it comes to being a Christian, I would hesitate to call anyone fanatic--that word has a negative connotation. Fortunately, the Bible has a much better, more positive word to describe a devoted follower of Christ: disciple.

Receive

What does it take to be a disciple? Let's look at Jesus' description. In John 17, Jesus prayed specifically for the disciples. "I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you. For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you" (John 17:6-8, ESV).

To be a disciple you need to know Jesus. That's the first step; but, unfortunately, many people never get beyond that step. They recognize Jesus and even put their faith in Him, but they never take the next step towards being a disciple (kind of like me and Nebraska football).

To be a real disciple, you not only need to know Jesus, you need to know and keep His Word. Jesus said, "and they have kept your word." This is where a lot of us stumble. There are a lot of people who claim to be Christians and probably have made a genuine confession of faith, but they know next to nothing about the Bible.

And to be a really effective disciple, you have to read God's Book.

Reflect

Start by reading the rest of John 17 and think about the following questions.

What challenges did Jesus know the disciples would face in following His Word?
Why was Jesus confident the disciples would be able to overcome these challenges?
What does Jesus pray for the disciples that would come later?
Why is it worth it to be a disciple and not just someone who knows Jesus?

Respond

The Bible's not as intimidating as you might think. Instead of one large book, think of it as 66 smaller books--and almost half of them (27) can be read in less than 15 minutes. As you read your Bible, ask God how He would have you apply what you read. Ask Him to show you how to be a true disciple.

Upvote 0