Eucharisted

Nov 24, 2009
United States
✟8,761.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Anyone who's ever taught a High School Religion course knows that at some point, that perennial question that has troubled theologians for centuries and continues to plague modern and post-modern young people will arise: "Do Dogs go to heaven when they die?" To answer this question positively is to give comfort and consolation to the fearful souls of students.

But God forbid you answer this question negatively. As one of my former students learned in his first year of teaching, to even suggest the possibility that dogs might not go to heaven (e.g., because they do not have immortal souls, or that they are not persons, or for some other reason)--much less to unequivocally declare that they do not--will arouse the wrath of students and the ire of their pet-loving parents (not to mention a potential trip to your supervisor's office for teaching such 'rigid' and 'disturbing' doctrines).

Up until now, when asked how to deal with this situation by students, I've simply suggested that they use reason (Hah!) and philosophy (double Hah!) to attempt to persuade the students that the longing to be with 'Fluffy' forever in the heavenly Jerusalem may in fact go unfulfilled.

However, I recently discovered that there is actual biblical evidence against dogs going to heaven. Well, this is entirely different. It's one thing to make a philosophical argument, but quite another to have Sacred Scripture on your side. So here it is. In the final chapter of the Bible, the Book of Revelation is describing the heavenly Jerusalem come down to earth, and in this context explicitly states:

Then he showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city [the new Jerusalem]; also, on either side of the river, the Tree of Life... Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the Tree of Life and that they may enter the city by the gates. Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and fornicators and murderers and idolaters, and every one who loves and practices falsehood (Revelation 22:1-2, 14-15)

There you have it, in black and white! Even the Greek is clear: Outside are "the dogs" (kunes). The Heavenly Jerusalem has a sign, and it reads: "No Dogs allowed." So, for all you dog-lovers, sorry. Dog's don't go to heaven; the Bible says so; that settles it. Whatever you may hope for, you won't be seeing Rover in the New Jerusalem.

P.S. I might note in closing that this brings me no particular grief. I'm a cat person, and of cats being excluded from heaven the Bible says nothing.
P.P.S. It might have helped the now-famous church sign debate over the issue for somebody to actually proof-text Scripture. That is, after all, the usual exegetical method of such signs.

The Sacred Page: Defintive Biblical Evidence AGAINST Dogs Going to Heaven

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,099.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Found two translations where the punctuation makes "dogs" looks like it could just be a symbol for the types of people listed afterwards:

Outside the city are the dogs--the sorcerers, the sexually immoral,... NLT

Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral,... NIV

Were these translators just dog-lovers? Then again if they're used as such an unflattering symbol that doesn't bode well for Rover either. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
*snip*
Found two translations where the puncuation makes "dogs" looks like it could just be a symbol for the types of people listed afterwards:

Outside the city are the dogs--the sorcerers, the sexually immoral,... NLT

Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral,... NIV
Psalms and Isaiah also mention "dogs" :pray:

http://www.scripture4all.org/

Philip 3:2 Beware of the dogs!/kunaV <2965>, beware of-the evil workers!, beware of-the circumcision!
[Psalm 22:16/Isaiah 56:11]

Reve 22:15 Outside the dogs/kuneV <2965> and the sorcerers and the prostituters and the muderers and the idolaters and every one being fond of and doing falseness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

AoDoA

Feb 9, 2010
✟1,478.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
by the way, i believe all doggies go to heaven :D

what about this one?

Ugly_dog.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Musa80

Veteran
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
✟10,191.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I support all dogs going to Heaven, except maybe for my wife's chihuahua. That thing is certainly hell bound. It's simple logic really. Dogs are man's best friend. Man is created in God's image. Therefore, dogs are God's best friend too. The Scriptures may say the dogs are outside the gates, but I bet Jesus would have put in a doggie door.

No, I am in no way serious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums