• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Bible Fact or Fable?

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by webboffin, Feb 4, 2003.

Is the Bible fact or fable?

1. It is fact [God's word]

2. It is just a story [Mans word]

3. It is partially true

4. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. alexgb00

alexgb00 Senior Member

+24
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Hey, Seesaw, i'd like to know, are you a Christian, or no? Just wondering. Anyway, i have to disagree with you. Hebrews 13:7-9 says:

If the character of Christ never changes, how can His laws (and therefore, our morals) change? I don't believe that what was wrong long ago can be right now, or the other way. If it's wrong, it's wrong. This applies to being gay, witchcraft, etc.

Don't get me wrong, though. The Bible says that we should despise sin, not the sinner. Just like we should love our relatives who are drunks, and not hate them, but hate their habit. That's how we should act toward gays and witches. Try to get them help, explain it to them.

God bless you all,
    Alex

2. webboffin

webboffin NOT APPLICABLE

+2
    That is right

3. Praxiteles

Praxiteles PraxAce

+268
    Agnostic
    When, on the one hand, we have a story in the Bible detailing God changing his mind or altering his methods, and on the other hand we have scripture saying that God is unchanging, which are we to believe?

4. Miss Shelby

Miss Shelby Legend

+3,028
    Catholic
    Private
    hey, prax, you been over to the pub lately? I think I'm ready for another bender.

Michelle e

5. Arikay

Arikay HI

+177
    Taoist
    I agree, no one has yet to explain how god can be perfect and repent for his mistakes/change his mind, without resorting to the "because its god" explination. and I would really like to know to understand the bible better.

6. Praxiteles

Praxiteles PraxAce

+268
    Agnostic
    Hi Michelle,

No, actually, I haven't poked my head in for a while. Am I to take it that you haven't learned your lesson from your last e-hangover? :D

7. FOMWatts<><

FOMWatts<>< Follower of the Way

+13
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Others
    What does change have to do with regret? God gave us free-will thereby giving us the ability to mess things up in the middle of time. What I mean is God knows how the story begins and ends, and even knows what goes on in the middle, but HE allows us to try things our own way. He gets disappointed when we try it without Him, because, as you can see much in today's world, we ALWAYS fail.

FOMWatts<><

8. Arikay

Arikay HI

+177
    Taoist
    IC. but that still leaves the question of why was he disapointed? If he can see all, he should have know what was going to happen. When I watch a movie that ive seen enough to know everything that happens in it (kinda like god knowing begining middle and end) I dont get disapointed when the bad guy beats the good guy at the begining, because I know the story. I am actually happy because I know that if the bad guy hadnt horribly beat the good guy in the begining, it wouldnt have given the good guy the strength to triumph over all the bad guys in the movie.
    So the fact that he is disapointed is confusing if he knows all.

9. Praxiteles

Praxiteles PraxAce

+268
    Agnostic
    He knows all, right?

So, even though he knew mankind was going to turn out terribly sinful, he went ahead and made them anyway and got all disappointed?

Ouch.&nbsp; I bet you can't say the above with a straight face... :)

Not only did he foresee it all, but this "unchanging" fellow one day decided to his the erase key and have a flood, leaving only Noah and his family.&nbsp; I'd have thought the smart thing to do would be to create Noah.

Anyway, he had this huge flood, wiped just about every living thing out, all in the cause of wiping wickedness from the world.&nbsp; Gee, it worked well, didn't it?&nbsp; :)

10. kaotic

kaotic Learn physics

+3
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    Hi, No I'm an atheist

11. LewisWildermuth

LewisWildermuth Senior Veteran

+118
    Christian
    Single
    Well, IMO, the way God is portraied in the bible, if literal and factual, certianly points it Him as being pretty imperfect. But since the bible was written and rewriten by man one can say that God is perfect but man's ideas about Him are not.

The other problem is one of language, basicly there is no set definition on what is perfect and what is not. It is a fluid and changing ideal that is formed by each person that looks at what ever is being called perfect. My opinion on what the perfect shade of blue is probably not yours and the same is true about anything else we could try and define a perfect state for.

12. Arikay

Arikay HI

+177
    Taoist
    The definition ive been been using, and im sure most people use is:
    "Being without defect or blemish"

13. LewisWildermuth

LewisWildermuth Senior Veteran

+118
    Christian
    Single
    Is anger or jealousy a blemish? What would perfect anger be like? What about perfect jealousy? Perfect love? Perfect fingerprints?

14. Arikay

Arikay HI

+177
    Taoist
    Well, its all in how you use the word.

For an all knowing god, Perfect would be never making a mistake.

15. David Gould

David Gould Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.

+487
    Atheist
    AU-Labor
    Unless the mistakes are perfect ones. ;)

16. webboffin

webboffin NOT APPLICABLE

+2
    I might of got a more balanced view in the poll if I added if you were Christian or non Christian to clarify where you stood when picking an option. [Okay, I know where seesaw stands, ;) lol&nbsp;]. But it has been interesting, and as I didn't start this poll exclusively for arguement.&nbsp;I have kept my views ("mostly") silent to what I normally do. :rolleyes: But the figures so far show, most responses&nbsp;in the poll take that&nbsp;the Bible is man written word. Was expecting somewhere near 50/50 in this particular section of the forum. Thank you to those who so far have responded :wave:

Suprised, alien lifeform&nbsp;intervention&nbsp;has not been mentioned &nbsp; :p

&nbsp;:holy:

17. Arikay

Arikay HI

+177
    Taoist
    Well, the numbers do sort of make sense. A non christian would assume that the bible is mans word, and there are christians that believe the bible is mans written word. So coming out slightly above 50/50 would make sense. I think. :)

18. kaotic

kaotic Learn physics

+3
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    :p

19. kaotic

kaotic Learn physics

+3
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    Yep, it makes perfect sense. :)