Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I'm going through the ordination process in my denomination and the English Bible Exam is part of this process. I've passed my written exam and now am scheduled to be verbally examined in a small group setting. They can ask me any questions they want about Bible content. Historical dates (within biblical history) are on the table as well. One thing that's not on the table for this exam is theology. In other words, they're not asking me to make conclusions about what the Bible means. Rather they are simply examining if I know the contents of Scripture.

It would be a great help to me if you'd be willing to grill me with Bible questions in order to help prepare me for this verbal exam. I will answer without looking it up because the exam is closed book. Of course I'm doing all kinds of other study and prep. But I figured this would be helpful too.

So hit me with your best shot and we'll see how I do.

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm going through the ordination process in my denomination and the English Bible Exam is part of this process. I've passed my written exam and now am scheduled to be verbally examined in a small group setting. They can ask me any questions they want about Bible content. Historical dates (within biblical history) are on the table as well. One thing that's not on the table for this exam is theology. In other words, they're not asking me to make conclusions about what the Bible means. Rather they are simply examining if I know the contents of Scripture.

It would be a great help to me if you'd be willing to grill me with Bible questions in order to help prepare me for this verbal exam. I will answer without looking it up because the exam is closed book. Of course I'm doing all kinds of other study and prep. But I figured this would be helpful too.

So hit me with your best shot and we'll see how I do.
I wish you good luck on your exam. I'll post some questions that may make you scratch your head...

• What are the geographical regions in Israel (4 longitudinal regions)
• What are the bodies of water (rivers, oceans, etc.) in and around Israel
• What are the ancient nations intersecting with Israel’s history
• What are the dates of the exiles for both northern and southern kingdoms.
• What are the dates of the returns from exile
• What OT books are in the “historical books”
• What events are covered in the historical books
• What key theological themes in these series of books

I've got more, related to the biblical books themselves, but this should get you started. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I wish you good luck on your exam. I'll post some questions that may make you scratch your head...

Thank you!

• What are the geographical regions in Israel (4 longitudinal regions)

Good question. Off the top of my head I can think of Galilee and Judea. I don't know what the southern region would be called. The Decapolis may also be relevant though I know that was a greek region. Maybe Idumea? What's the answer?

• What are the bodies of water (rivers, oceans, etc.) in and around Israel

The Mediterranean Sea on the western border. The River Jorden down the Middle. The Euphrates in the northeast. The Dead Sea. The sea of Galilee.

I'm not great with geographical details. Missing anything?

• What are the ancient nations intersecting with Israel’s history

More than I can name. The big ones are Egypt, Assyria, Syria, Babylon, and Persia. Smaller players are all the Canaanite nations (can't name them all), Edom, Moab, the nations of the Philistines. Beyond that I would struggle.

• What are the dates of the exiles for both northern and southern kingdoms.

Northern kingdom fell in 722. Southern kingdom fell in 586.

• What are the dates of the returns from exile

First return was 539. Second return was maybe 520. 516 is when the second temple was dedicated.

• What OT books are in the “historical books”

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy all contain history but they are typically classified as "Law". Historically you've got Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1-2 Sam, 1-2 Kings, 1-2 Chron, Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther.

• What events are covered in the historical books

If you're talking pure history like Joshua-Esther then you've got the conquest of Canaan (1450BC), the period of the judges, the beginning of the monarchy (1050BC), the division of the kingdom (930BC), the fall of the northern kingdom (722 BC), the fall of the southern kingdom (586 BC), the proclamation of Cyrus (539 BC), and the rebuilding of the temple (516 BC).

• What key theological themes in these series of books

Way too many to name. I'd ask you to get more specific.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(I don't give answers, just questions - sorry)...

You're doing well so far.

Genesis

• Know key events and chapters in the book: creation, fall, tower of Babel, call of Abraham, Abrahamic covenant in Genesis 15, sacrifice of Isaac, Jacob’s time at Bethel and Peniel, and prophesy of Shiloh.
• Know key people and their lives: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob

Exodus

• Be familiar with 10 plagues and their overarching purposes
• Know the date of the Exodus
• Know key chapters and contents of plagues, Passover, Israel’s commissioned purpose (chapter 19), 10 commandments, tabernacle, and Golden Calf incident and surrounding events

Leviticus themes, theological emphases, and issues

• Know sacrifices in Leviticus 1-4
• Know overall theme of Leviticus
• Be familiar with Leviticus 10:1-3
• Know who can offer sacrifices
• Know what the Day of Atonement is

Numbers

• Know which tribes settled on the east side of the Jordan
• Know who Balaam was
• Know the general events of Numbers

Deuteronomy themes, theological emphases, and issues

• Deuteronomy’s structure is a covenant treaty structure
• Know the chapter for the shema and the blessings and curses
• Know the purpose of Deuteronomy

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What scripture speaks more about agape love than any other in the book ?
What book and chapter would you suggest reading as a must read if someone is unsure about their salvation ?
What Apostle reveals a mystery kept secret since before the foundation of the world ?
And where is that in the bible ( what time frame)?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What scripture speaks more about agape love than any other in the book ?

Probably John's Gospel or 1 John.

What book and chapter would you suggest reading as a must read if someone is unsure about their salvation ?

1 John.

What Apostle reveals a mystery kept secret since before the foundation of the world ?

Paul.

And where is that in the bible ( what time frame)?

Ephesians and Colossians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Give scriptures about how to become in our character so we are pleasing to God.

I would say 2 Corinthians 3 where Paul talks about beholding the glory of Christ and being transformed into his likeness.

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Give scriptures which tell us what is involved in our basic calling of living and loving as a Christian.

I would say Romans 13 where Paul summarizes the Law as "love your neighbor as yourself".

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0