Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did any of you attend, graduate from, or still attend a school associated with any of three groups in the RM?

I'm a 2008 graduate of Roanoke Bible College, which is now called Mid-Atlantic Christian University.

Since my wife doesn't like me giving out specifics, I'll just say that a few decades ago, I drank a years worth of "Ozarka." Then, I earned a degree in Philosophy and later a Master's in Social Studies/Education at a secular institution.

Reactions: Leboman
Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since my wife doesn't like me giving out specifics, I'll just say that a few decades ago, I drank a years worth of "Ozarka." Then, I earned a degree in Philosophy and later a Master's in Social Studies/Education at a secular institution.
HA!!!!

I had a cousin who spent one year at the OCC before transferring to Johnson.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
HA!!!!

I had a cousin who spent one year at the OCC before transferring to Johnson.

:cool: From what I remember back then, it wasn't a bad little school, all in all. (I wonder if it's changed much since I was there?) I went only one year because various family troubles got in the way and put the social and financial kibosh on my going into ministry. Since then, I've always wondered how the other Christian colleges and seminaries compared. I suppose they're better in some ways.

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:cool: From what I remember back then, it wasn't a bad little school, all in all. (I wonder if it's changed much since I was there?) I went only one year because various family troubles got in the way and put the social and financial kibosh on my going into ministry. Since then, I've always wondered how the other Christian colleges and seminaries compared. I suppose they're better in some ways.

I first attended RBC in 1994 at the age of 24. My wife and I had been married for three years and we wanted to change the world for Jesus. I envisioned a cool, hip church with upbeat music and high tech services. I had one earring in my ear and hair that was slightly shaggy. I barely made it through the year.

When I went back to the same school eleven years later I could not believe how much it had changed. I saw lots of piercings and tattoos. I honestly couldn't believe it. The "idea" I had for church all those years ago looked a lot like what churches were doing. I guess I was ahead of my time.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I first attended RBC in 1994 at the age of 24. My wife and I had been married for three years and we wanted to change the world for Jesus. I envisioned a cool, hip church with upbeat music and high tech services. I had one earring in my ear and hair that was slightly shaggy. I barely made it through the year.

When I went back to the same school eleven years later I could not believe how much it had changed. I saw lots of piercings and tattoos. I honestly couldn't believe it. The "idea" I had for church all those years ago looked a lot like what churches were doing. I guess I was ahead of my time.

lol! Yes, it's amazing where and into what our culture has moved. Although, at the time at which I attended, OCC seemed to draw a somewhat more "conservative" crowd. I guess maybe it was due somewhat to its more Southerly Mid-Western position.

As for myself, I was more of a quasi-loner type, with awkward social skills at the time--my style was muscle shirts, parachute-pants, and late 80's wavy hair. :rolleyes: Eee-gads!! I was a fairly new Christian at the time, but I had a heart for Jesus and I had hoped to do something "great" in the world. I remember one of the mantras at OCC that they repeated during various chapel sermons -- something to the effect that "God doesn't care about what you know, but whether you're available." And at the time, I was available. :cool:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So, what studies did you complete at RBC, and how long have you been pastoring, Leboman?

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, what studies did you complete at RBC, and how long have you been pastoring, Leboman?

Technically, my degree is a B.S. in Biblical Exegesis. I majored in preaching and youth ministry. I also did two semesters of grad work through Liberty University's online seminary. I didn't graduate from RBC/MACU until I was thirty-eight so I got a late start. I did some interim preaching and briefly worked with a church plant in Mississippi before deciding that God didn't want me in vocational ministry. I spent three years with Habitat For Humanity before coming up here in 2013. This is my first full time ministry so I'm a rookie even though I'm pushing fifty. I did serve as an elder at my home church in NC so technically I've been pastoring a little longer than my professional experience says.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Technically, my degree is a B.S. in Biblical Exegesis. I majored in preaching and youth ministry. I also did two semesters of grad work through Liberty University's online seminary. I didn't graduate from RBC/MACU until I was thirty-eight so I got a late start. I did some interim preaching and briefly worked with a church plant in Mississippi before deciding that God didn't want me in vocational ministry. I spent three years with Habitat For Humanity before coming up here in 2013. This is my first full time ministry so I'm a rookie even though I'm pushing fifty. I did serve as an elder at my home church in NC so technically I've been pastoring a little longer than my professional experience says.

You got a late start with education? Yeah, me too. I didn't get my first degree until 2005, and then the second in 2010. And...at least you can actually do something with your degrees, my friend. :D Mine...not so much. But, that doesn't mean I regret getting what I got. :cool:

I completely respect you guys who can hold down the fort in a local church, even if you think you're a "rookie." And you're not the only one pushing fifty here; you and I are pretty much contemporaries, Leboman, and it sounds like you got the lion's share of the ministry opportunity between us. God bless you and your wife on that!

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is what I looked like back then. My hair was considered excessively long but I did trim down the back. Honestly, I thought I looked okay. I now realize the mullet was a terrible fashion statement and I repent.

Attachments

• Lee ATKM.jpg
    Lee ATKM.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I started my college career back in 1999 when I graduated from high school, and I'm still working on my first degree! I got slowed down after getting married, full-time, work, a kid, the military, a kid... you know the story!

I'm going to school at Amridge University, taking online classes. I'm majoring in Bible/Ministry and plan to go onto a master's in professional counseling at the same school.

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I started my college career back in 1999 when I graduated from high school, and I'm still working on my first degree! I got slowed down after getting married, full-time, work, a kid, the military, a kid... you know the story!

I'm going to school at Amridge University, taking online classes. I'm majoring in Bible/Ministry and plan to go onto a master's in professional counseling at the same school.

I attended my twenty year high school reunion two weeks before I graduated from college. It's never too late.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am a Graduate from Stephen F Austin State University in Education. I was the Vice President of the FCA chapter there. I later took class for a year at North Texas Center for Christian Education (does not exist today)before I went to Russia as a missionary in the 1990's. Today I'm taking class through an internet program out of Sunset International Bible Institute ( B.S. in Biblical Studies and Masters of Religious Studies ) It takes 4 1/2 years to get both degrees.

Upvote 0

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a Graduate from Stephen F Austin State University in Education. I was the Vice President of the FCA chapter there. I later took class for a year at North Texas Center for Christian Education (does not exist today)before I went to Russia as a missionary in the 1990's. Today I'm taking class through an internet program out of Sunset International Bible Institute ( B.S. in Biblical Studies and Masters of Religious Studies ) It takes 4 1/2 years to get both degrees.

Our pulpit minister's son is going to Sunset in residence right now. He planned to follow the youth ministry track, but I think he is moving toward the missions track.

Upvote 0

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have a Bachelor's degree from a private University but I enrolled at a Church of Christ/Christian Church Bible college which offered a Master's program. I was a student there for two and-a-half years but did not complete my degree. A new President came in and he changed the curriculum, and the grade point system was also changed. After my class credits were re-calculated I was going to have to be there another two-and-a-half years. They had a system of one hour and two hour class credits but you might actually have to spend more class time in attendance of the one hour classes. In a Master's program - essential improvised - if students were required to read two books and write two research papers I had to read four books and write four research papers. None of that was taken into consideration. The new President of the Bible college met with me - my wife was with me - and he promised me that I would get extra class credits for life experience (I'm no kid just out of high school or college) and that never happened. (I could have taught a class in technology or church administration.) I wish I had gone to the Baptist Bible college, but the President of that school insisted that I should go to the seminary since I already had a degree. My intent was to prepare for ministry, not be caught up in politics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a Bachelor's degree from a private University but I enrolled at a Church of Christ/Christian Church Bible college which offered a Master's program. I was a student there for two and-a-half years but did not complete my degree. A new President came in and he changed the curriculum, and the grade point system was also changed. After my class credits were re-calculated I was going to have to be there another two-and-a-half years. They had a system of one hour and two hour class credits but you might actually have to spend more class time in attendance of the one hour classes. In a Master's program - essential improvised - if students were required to read two books and write two research papers I had to read four books and write four research papers. None of that was taken into consideration. The new President of the Bible college met with me - my wife was with me - and he promised me that I would get extra class credits for life experience (I'm no kid just out of high school or college) and that never happened. (I could have taught a class in technology or church administration.) I wish I had gone to the Baptist Bible college, but the President of that school insisted that I should go to the seminary since I already had a degree. My intent was to prepare for ministry, not be caught up in politics.
HBRCB, Sir, ☺

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That sounds like a bummer. I'm sorry that the school changed courses like that.

Upvote 0