✟12,164.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Good post.
You are frank/open...about your view/assessment concerning Catholics.
---
I have a friend who is Catholic.
- He is one of those 'Catholics'..you mentioned.
---
I did not give any criticism to him..about Catholicism.
- He started..asking questions.
- Spiritual issues, Protestants, etc..
We had interesting conversations/discussions.
Thank you, I enjoy reading a lot. I have many books regarding Catholicism but I also own many books from Protestant writters, its good to read about their point of view, I don't think its healthy to only read books that agree entirely with your faith or way of thinking. There is a lot to learn from each other.

Upvote 0

tppr76

just curious
Mar 12, 2022
biddeford
✟15,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I taught Christian school for ten years, where I observed that less than half of all Christian school teachers entered their third year of teaching. I started looking for former Christian school teachers, hoping to help them, and realized that most of them aren't in any church.

I began studying the numbers, and concluded that if all Bible college graduates attended church to the age of 60, the average evangelical church would have 22 Bible college graduates.
I think the reason why they aren't in Church is because there are so few churches that are preaching the Word of God. Instead, many just carry the water for whatever denomination they represent. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think the reason why they aren't in Church is because there are so few churches that are preaching the Word of God.

What would preaching the Word of God mean to you, that's different from what churches do now? Can you give some examples?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
@tppr76 : Elaborating on my question: In the denominations and churches that use a lectionary (which is quite a few of them), there's a cycle of readings that takes us through most of the Bible over the course of 3 years. Each Sunday, the preacher talks about the assigned readings from the Old Testament, Psalms, New Testament epistles, and Gospels, explaining the meanings of the readings and talking about how we might apply the readings to our lives.

I take it that you want the denominational churches to do something different. What should our preachers do instead?

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think the reason why they aren't in Church is because there are so few churches that are preaching the Word of God. Instead, many just carry the water for whatever denomination they represent. Just my opinion.

The Lord said, "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen." (Mt 28:19-20)

The system(s) says otherwise, an alternate "Word of God".

Hence, blame is attributed to "hired shepherds" which is true for almost every minister and teacher, professionals who are paid: "But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep." (Jn 10:12)

"My people hath been lost sheep: their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they have turned them away on the mountains: they have gone from mountain to hill, they have forgotten their restingplace." (Jer 50:6)

These people alter Scripture to suit an agenda, often to secure their own job, and sometimes there's a greater agenda or movement they've dedicated their life to. "Making the word of God of none effect" (Mk 7:13)

Reactions: tppr76
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Lord said, "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen." (Mt 28:19-20)

The system(s) says otherwise, an alternate "Word of God".

Hence, blame is attributed to "hired shepherds" which is true for almost every minister and teacher, professionals who are paid: "But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep." (Jn 10:12)

"My people hath been lost sheep: their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they have turned them away on the mountains: they have gone from mountain to hill, they have forgotten their restingplace." (Jer 50:6)

These people alter Scripture to suit an agenda, often to secure their own job, and sometimes there's a greater agenda or movement they've dedicated their life to. "Making the word of God of none effect" (Mk 7:13)

Hogwash. This is nothing more than misapplication of scripture and broad generalizations that are impossible to verify. The only thing attitudes like this accomplish is to tear others down. That is not God's heart.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." (1 Jn 2)
You should read that scripture while looking in the mirror.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,307.00
Country
United States
Faith