• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Bible College Graduates

Discussion in 'Suggest New Forums' started by Vince53, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+15,965
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Not so much in Australia. The college where I studied took students like me - with a prior degree - and students with no prior degree. We studied alongside one another but for different awards (either at Bachelors or Masters level). The word "seminary" isn't really used here, but ordination candidates could be studying at either level.

I do understand there to be a difference between the sort of place I was at, which awarded properly accredited degrees, and colleges which perhaps only award certificates or diplomas. I know relatively little about the latter and have no personal experience of them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Aabbie James

Aabbie James Maintain love and truth in perfect balance

+377
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Jesus said that many will fall away. He also said true Christians should go out into the rot of the world, turn it upside down, and be the salt and light of the true Gospel of Jesus Christ. All glory to God alone.

Christians, are you real, or are you fake... are you the salt of the earth... will you endure 'till the end?

3. topher694

topher694 Go Turtle!

+2,352
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I'm not so sure that this applies here. It feels a bit like blaming the victim for getting bullied. I mean I know there are some cases where it is true, but the focus of this conversation hasn't been on those types.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Vince53

Vince53 Junior Member

+229
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I suppose that some of the graduates "fell away" due to personal sin. But if over half are not attending church after four years of Bible colleges, something is wrong with Bible colleges.

5. Aabbie James

Aabbie James Maintain love and truth in perfect balance

+377
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Yes it is so.

Most bible colleges today are not much different than the typical public or private university teaching a worldly philosophy to our young people.

Many churches don't do their part either... no salt no light, aging congregations building a wall around themselves and their church, dwindling numbers, no growth. A church that is not growing is dying. Why aren't "Bible College Graduates" getting plugged in to churches and becoming active members of the body? Listen to Jesus' parable of the sower...

In God's house, people want to hear the true gospel of Jesus Christ preached. God's people want to spread that message and see that message spread unto the ends of the earth reaching unbelievers as Jesus commanded.

Thank you for your post Vince53...

6. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+5,577
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    You know how pastors feel like people keep this form of psychological distance from them, because they have a particular type of knowledge?

I have noticed this anyway.

I have also noticed that anyone even if they are not the pastor, who comes off as more knowledgeable in godly things there's this sense of "I just came to church to hear one sermon" type deal.

So it might be in some cases, they just cannot find fellowship.

7. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life Supporter

+4,950
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Praise The Lord

8. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+15,965
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    I think it's sort of the other way around. It's not that people keep distance from me, but that I have to keep distance from them. I cannot dump my own personal issues, or freely discuss what I think about the church, but always have to be there for them, or mindful of the politics of different groups, etc etc.

Being in ministry can be lonely - very lonely - but that's more about what I can't share, than what they don't share.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. Vince53

Vince53 Junior Member

+229
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Someone in the Assemblies of God did a small study on that. He reported that when he contacted AOG Bible college grads who did not attend church, they claimed that the pastors were hostile to them because the pastors feared their knowledge and abilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. topher694

topher694 Go Turtle!

+2,352
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Agree 100%

Sometimes the Bible School dynamic can manifest as the newly graduating student coming into church with misdirected zeal... meaning they think the know better than the pastor and sometimes even "hear God better". That will clearly lead to all sorts of bad stuff. Essentially graduating something is not an indicator of maturity, but sometimes the immature think it is.

11. topher694

topher694 Go Turtle!

+2,352
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Wow, I posted the previous before I read this... fits nicely I think.

12. AnalogJoe

AnalogJoe Self-proclaimed Electronic Monk

+19
    Mexico
    Catholic
    Celibate
    This happens with everything concerning religion, I read a statistic (and old one BTW) that before the 60s, 80% of those who attended a catholic school ended up keeping the faith after they graduate, after the 60s its around 3%

The world no longer believes, well they believe in themselves, not in God thou.

13. Vince53

Vince53 Junior Member

+229
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Joe, I think it was the 2010 Census that reported that 1 out of every 7 US adults is an ex-Catholic.

A 2011 report by Pew Research reported (in 2011) that 10% of the US population is ex-Catholic. Pew Research also reported that (in 2011) the three biggest US religions, in order, were Catholic, Baptist, and ex-Catholic. Various Catholic research organizations accepted those numbers as accurate.

14. AnalogJoe

+19
    Mexico
    Catholic
    Celibate
    Yes, that sounds about right. Mexico's population used to be 97% Catholic in the 70s, today it is 82%, it is still a big chunk, making it the 2nd country on earth with the largest Catholic population (after Brazil). Now, that 82% is also not real, because that 82% counts everyone who was baptized, that includes "Catholics" who only go to church for weddings or funerals and "Catholics" who's parents baptized them but who don't believe in God at all, I have friends who baptized their children just because the in-laws insisted on it.

Acording to Mexico's National Census, the fastest growing religion in the country is actually atheism...

And I don't need a census to know that, every time I go to church on Sunday I can count with my fingers the amount of people under 40 y/o. Yesterday I counted around 3 children amongst a crowd of about 130.

So in my opinion, Christianity in general is declining, fast.

I will say something about the Protestants here thou, they are devout, there are not many of them, but they are devout, and their numbers are increasing, not as much as atheism, but they are increasing, whilst Catholicism is declining...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  15. Vince53

Vince53 Junior Member

+229
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Joe, I didn't catch it until your last post, but you live in Mexico. My wife and I are retired Americans who are happily retired in "The Gringo Zone" around Lake Chapala.

Where are you?

And if you are on Facebook, please send a Friend Request to Vincent Massi.

16. AnalogJoe

+19
    Mexico
    Catholic
    Celibate
    Hey Vincent, I'm located in the metropolitan area of Mexico City, which is actually Mexico State, but I work at a university at the south side of the city, so it takes me around 2 hours to commute from my house to the university (that was before the pandemic).

Did you find a good Baptist church where you live? I guess that if its called the "Gringo Zone" then there must be some Evangelical churches available. When I used to live in Ohio during my Master's I had some trouble locating a Catholic parish, I did find one, but there weren't many, Evangelical churches on the other hand were all over the place.

Here in Mexico City is the opposite, there are like 10 Catholic churches very near to me but I only know of one Baptist, one Methodist and one Presbyterian near to me.

I'm not on social media :( but you can send me a PM here or an e-mail and I'll be glad to chat.

17. philadelphos

philadelphos Sydney

+90
    Australia
    Presbyterian
    Single
    False teachers are a more rampant than most are willing to believe, subtle ones, covert ones, avoidant ones. People are at enmity with God, congregations and church leaders no different, forming self-serving institutions. Bible Colleges in our times are no longer the keepers or preservers of the Holy Scriptures, or literacy in divine matters. The monopoly is over. Instead they profiteer off peoples' diverse interests, offering new agendas, everything but Mark 1:15 "repent ye, and believe the gospel" and Jn 14:15, "If ye love me, keep my commandments".

e.g. Focusing outwardly, hypocritically and vainly, on 'evangelicalism' or 'missiology' and neglecting Christology, soteriology, harmartiology, Torah, Hebraic and semitic studies. i.e. focusing on 'doctrines of men', often false doctrines, popular agendas that suit them, paid for by them, programmed by them for them. Thus both are self-serving biased and corruptible institutions. Never growing and maturing, only vain pursuits and finger-pointing. So even if sermons, lectures, lessons, are FREE, people don't attend. Not unless lunch or some other tangible benefit is being offered.

"If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" (1 Jn 4:20) "If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain." (Js 1:26) "Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth." (1 Cor 8:1)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021 at 6:40 AM
  18. Pioneer3mm

Pioneer3mm Active Member Supporter

+521
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Interesting comment..from a Catholic.
    - About 'Catholics/Catholicism'.
    ---
    I was in Brazil..years ago.
    - I heard.."some Catholics are becoming Protestants."

19. AnalogJoe

+19
    Mexico
    Catholic
    Celibate
    Well I am a Catholic but I am also a math kind of guy, so I analyze (or over-analyze) when it comes to statistics.

There are defenitely many Catholics becoming Protestants, and I will tell you my opinion as to why. I am not trying to dismiss Protestants, but the main reason why I think Catholics become Protestants is due to their ignorance about Catholicism, in sum: bad catechesis. Not all Catholics become Protestants for that reason, many truly convert for good reasons, but I think most do it because of ignorance about Catholicism, let me explain....

Most Catholics don't know their own faith, don't read the Bible, don't read the Catechism of the Catholic Church, they only know what they hear when they go to Mass (if they ever go to Mass...), they don't even know how they are saved! they don't know what it means that Jesus died for their sins, it is true that we believe that both faith and works are needed, but many just think its only works: "As long as I don't steal or murder I think I am a good guy and I will go to heaven" or "God just wants me to do whatever I want to do to be happy" AKA "Lucifer's 1st commandment".

Many just think that Jesus was a very good guy who suffered a horrible death 2000 years ago but they don't know exactly what was the whole purpose of the incanation, they don't even have a concept of the Trinity (not to say that I know exactly how the whole 3 persons-1 God mistery works, but I understand the concept and accept it), also, priests will only tell people what they want to hear so they keep going to church, I don't know when was the last time I heard a priest talking about Satan, hell or damnation, its all about love these days...

There is a lot of what is commonly refered to as "Catholic Witchcraft", for example: many people think that a rosary is some kind of talisman against evil. Recently I took a taxi, I started chatting with the driver, he had a rosary on his rear mirror and an image of the Blessed Mother on the dashboard (I think, I couldn't see it very well), I asked him if he was a Catholic, he answered: "Not really, well, I think its not really important what you believe in as long as you do it with love", those are the majority of "Catholics" here.

Many think that praying to a saint for a favor is like chanting some magic spell to a deity: "If you say the correct words during 5 days to St. X and if if you light a candle under his image, he will grant you the money you need". Why do you think some people can be as naive as to call themselves "Catholic" and worship "Santa Muerte"? Ignorance, that is why....

When Protestants, who, like I just previously said, are more devout and informed in general about their faith, come and teach an ignorant Catholic the basics about Christianity and that person realizes that most of his/her beliefs and practices like "Catholic Witchcraft" are completly wrong, they switch and assume that Catholicism is actually about all the wrong ideas they had before their conversion, that all Catholics are as ignorant and in error as they were once before.

Also, the whole sex and abuse scandals in the church don't help much either....

What do you think?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021 at 12:51 PM
  20. Pioneer3mm

Pioneer3mm Active Member Supporter

+521
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Good post.
    You are frank/open...about your view/assessment concerning Catholics.
    ---
    I have a friend who is Catholic.
    - He is one of those 'Catholics'..you mentioned.
    ---
    I did not give any criticism to him..about Catholicism.
    - He started..asking questions.
    - Spiritual issues, Protestants, etc..
    We had interesting conversations/discussions.