• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

BG constantly in the mid 200s

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Morning, my BG is constantly in the mid 200s now. Im on oral meds and Trulicity. Im seeing my PCP next week but I'm asking the gallery what the next likely step might be.
Mine was 74 on my most recent Quest Diagnostics blood test results. I read Joel Fuhrman’s, Eat To Live. I am not supposed to eat food with added sugar. May eat whole fruit, but not fruit juice as the sugar from the juice is absorbed too quickly. May eat whole grains, but should avoid refined grains. Am encouraged to eat vegetables and green leafy vegetables. Not supposed to eat too much fats and oils.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Mine was 74 on my most recent Quest Diagnostics blood test results. I read Joel Fuhrman’s, Eat To Live. I am not supposed to eat food with added sugar. May eat whole fruit, but not fruit juice as the sugar from the juice is absorbed too quickly. May eat whole grains, but should avoid refined grains. Am encouraged to eat vegetables and green leafy vegetables. Not supposed to eat too much fats and oils.

Recently I fasted for 24 hours and my glucose only dropped to 180. Basically, my body is no longer making its own insulin. As for meals, we go with a Mediterranean diet - fish, vegetables, fruit and some legumes & nuts.

• Informative
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Recently I fasted for 24 hours and my glucose only dropped to 180. Basically, my body is no longer making its own insulin. As for meals, we go with a Mediterranean diet - fish, vegetables, fruit and some legumes & nuts.
I like lentils and beans for protein. These are staples. Ate two servings of fish per week. I ate sweet potatoes, Romaine, spinach and cruciferous veggies. I ate steel cut oats, banana and blueberries for breakfast. Ate quinoa, corn and rice. Rarely drank alcohol, most months none. Excess alcohol destroys the pancreas where insulin is made. Obesity is a risk factor for type 2 diabetes.

“At 2 hours, a blood sugar level of 140 mg/dL or lower is considered normal, 140 to 199 mg/dL indicates you have prediabetes, and 200 mg/dL or higher indicates you have diabetes.”
Diabetes Testing

Some people tried Joel Fuhrman’s diet, lost weight and reversed type 2 diabetes.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I like lentils and beans for protein. These are staples. Ate two servings of fish per week. I ate sweet potatoes, Romaine, spinach and cruciferous veggies. I ate steel cut oats, banana and blueberries for breakfast. Ate quinoa, corn and rice. Rarely drank alcohol, most months none. Excess alcohol destroys the pancreas where insulin is made. Obesity is a risk factor for type 2 diabetes.

“At 2 hours, a blood sugar level of 140 mg/dL or lower is considered normal, 140 to 199 mg/dL indicates you have prediabetes, and 200 mg/dL or higher indicates you have diabetes.”
Diabetes Testing

Some people tried Joel Fuhrman’s diet, lost weight and reversed type 2 diabetes.

I've been on oral meds for 13 years now. So I'm just at a point where my body does not make insulin.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been on oral meds for 13 years now. So I'm just at a point where my body does not make insulin.
“Once‐weekly Trulicity is a type 2 diabetes medication that helps your body release its own insulin and can help improve your A1C and blood sugar numbers.” This is from a Trulicity website.

If your condition worsens, you might need insulin. Without insulin, how can you live? You might ask your doctor about it.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
“Once‐weekly Trulicity is a type 2 diabetes medication that helps your body release its own insulin and can help improve your A1C and blood sugar numbers.” This is from a Trulicity website.

If your condition worsens, you might need insulin. Without insulin, how can you live? You might ask your doctor about it.

Oh been on Trulicity for about 5 years now.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not good.

You need to see an endocrinologist, and soon. Type 2 diabetes should not turn into type 1, unless there is some issue or event that causes it. Your PCP should have had you alert him/her when your BG was that consistently high, and not to wait for your next scheduled appointment. I am aware of people who have had above normal A1c numbers and their PCP has not done anything, not put them on any oral medication or injections, and not counseled them on taking action to bring their high numbers down through diet and/or activity. To me, that is malpractice and asking for major problems in the future for those people.

Find a good Endo doc and consider a different PCP. If you haven't already done so, see a dietician who deals with diabetes. It sounds like your overall food plan is good, but they can help you fine tune it. Insurance plans cover dietician consults. Take control of dealing with your condition.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not good.

Find a good Endo doc and consider a different PCP. If you haven't already done so, see a dietician who deals with diabetes. It sounds like your overall food plan is good, but they can help you fine tune it. Insurance plans cover dietician consults. Take control of dealing with your condition.

My doc said I need to start seeing an endo so I have an appointment scheduled when I get home from a trip next week. What sticks is that in Jan 2021, my A1C was 7.4

I did see a dietician about three years and she was horrible. Didn't bother listening to me at all. Just assumed that I was a new diabetic and not one who had it for about ten years at that point.

I'll keep you updated as it's nice to talk to others of what steps to take. One thing that is problematic is Im so fatigued I don't exercise much now. I had been doing 30 minutes of resistance band workouts M-Sat.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have your A1c checked every 3 months? That should be happening. It sounds like your number is currently in the high 8's or 9's. Not good. Find a better dietician and prepare for the endo appointment. Make sure they have your A1c history for the last couple of years. You need to get this under control to prevent future problems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you have your A1c checked every 3 months? That should be happening. It sounds like your number is currently in the high 8's or 9's. Not good. Find a better dietician and prepare for the endo appointment. Make sure they have your A1c history for the last couple of years. You need to get this under control to prevent future problems.

Yep, I go every 3 months. 1Q21 7.7, 2Q 7.1, 3Q 8.? 4Q 8.? Jan 9.6.

It also doesnt help that stress has shot up due to personal life issues family wise.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep, I go every 3 months. 1Q21 7.7, 2Q 7.1, 3Q 8.? 4Q 8.? Jan 9.6.

It also doesn't help that stress has shot up due to personal life issues family wise.
First two were okay, last three not good, especially January.

Stress can have a big impact on blood sugars, as can illness. There is much more that goes into controlling diabetes than just reducing carbs and monitoring blood sugars. Good luck. Happy to talk about it anytime.

Upvote 0