US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've never been a "school spirit" type. I would pout at pep rallies, wear all black on spirit colors day, hate football cause everyone else likes it.
Basically if everyone else liked it I probably wouldn't. My mindset was always you don't own or control me or tell me what to think like or do stay out of my face.

That brings me to jobs... My bf praises his company and often sticks up for corporations and corporate America.

I on the other hand have no loyalty toward any company. I find someone who will pay me more the same day I'd quit my job and go with someone else. I don't like corporations, I'd rather work for myself if I could figure out a good way to do it.

Basically I hate "the man" lol.

How do I stop getting annoyed by his mainstream mindset?

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Repentance would be a start.
In God's kingdom there no stars except for Jesus Christ.
Look at 1 Corinthians 12.
The principles you find in there are applicable to not only God's kingdom but to a family, any workplace or even a city.
Everybody has a part to play, and each part is absolutely necessary if that body is going to function properly.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not allowed in this section I think since I am married but growing up I was very much the same. Some may say I had "authority issue". Even with God at times. I didn't like people telling me what to say, how to think, what to do. I wanted to be my ownself and unique. I didn't click clubs or clicks or "hipster" stuff.

But as I grew I realized I was sort of a hypocrite since most everything we do is done through learning form others. How I talk for example. Maybe my manners. I had certain clothes I liked. Certain hobbies I liked. Stuff that others were into. So I wasn't really as unique as I thought. Maybe I wasn't into sports or brand name stuff, but I was into other stuff that my friend were into. Such as Star Wars, video gaming...etc.

I also realized God tells me what to do and say and think. So I remember he says to love despite what the world says. So when I see someone whos all a macho sport person, I just be friendly and love them. Doesn't mean I am going to give in per say to act like they do.

As for your BF. You could always nicely tell him "Listen dear, I love your personality and how you support things how you do, but sometimes can you tone it down when I am with you. I don't want to hear it all the time since it can get irritating."

I know when my wife praises her country endlessly it irritates me and I tell her "Ugh, I get it already. I don't want to hear about it anymore!". Then I sometimes I accidentally let my tongue loose and say "Your country isn't perfect and I'd rather live here!". Which is obviously bad to say since its then coming from a place of anger.

Lastly I still am not really loyal to anything except God, my wife and Chipotles (lol). Even America. Many are die hard patriotic people, which is fine, but I am not. I often see the "'MERICA!" jokes online showing a american with a beer in one hand, gun in another and flags behind him with a eagle in the air and jets and fireworks....etc. The typical steretype of americans. I agree with that stereotype and refuse to be like that. This country, this planet is just a place where my body is. My only loyalty is to God and heaven. Admittedly maybe that's harsh to some but I often see to much loyalty to be like idol worship in a way.

Reactions: Angeleyes7715
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nothing wrong with wanting to work for yourself. And any person should be careful who they give their loyalty to - I wouldn’t give a corporation my loyalty. By definition, a corporation serves the pockets of its shareholders, they are not out to promote the good of mankind

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
C
I've never been a "school spirit" type. I would pout at pep rallies, wear all black on spirit colors day, hate football cause everyone else likes it.
Basically if everyone else liked it I probably wouldn't. My mindset was always you don't own or control me or tell me what to think like or do stay out of my face.

That brings me to jobs... My bf praises his company and often sticks up for corporations and corporate America.

I on the other hand have no loyalty toward any company. I find someone who will pay me more the same day I'd quit my job and go with someone else. I don't like corporations, I'd rather work for myself if I could figure out a good way to do it.

Basically I hate "the man" lol.

Sports - My husband is a huge huge sports fan. I do not enjoy them at all. He knows this and he accepts this. Therefore I do not participate with him in these (and other things) and he understands and vice-versa. We find other things that we do both enjoy.

Regarding "working for the man"

Colossians 3

22 Bondservants, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know it's a spirit of rebellion and anger driving me. Which I know is mostly wrong.

Even like today... My bf and I went shopping, I need scrubs for work, I hate shopping though other than getting what I need. He on the other hand can admire tons of clothes and brands. I for one don't care. To me stuff and materialism is dumb and what keeps people working long hours away from their families. Materialism is greed and dumb to me. My bf however is like most people and will spend an hour admiring shoes in a shoe store.

Idk, I feel wrong for my attitude but still feel anger about things like this. For example my bf tried to tell the lady in the Tommy store how nice I'd look in this one outfit and I mouthed off and said my bf cares about clothes way more than I do. And said to make a point I don't care about Tommy in their store. Its like I wanted her and everyone else to know how dumb I though they were for caring so much about brands and clothes.

I know it was rude and probably jerkish. Feel guilty my attitude is so bad and negative toward people, society, and things other people find normal. I agree with the other person who said it's a kind of hypocritical way to be.

Not sure why I think I'm so much better than other people just cause I try not to follow trends and the crowd.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know it's a spirit of rebellion and anger driving me. Which I know is mostly wrong.

Even like today... My bf and I went shopping, I need scrubs for work, I hate shopping though other than getting what I need. He on the other hand can admire tons of clothes and brands. I for one don't care. To me stuff and materialism is dumb and what keeps people working long hours away from their families. Materialism is greed and dumb to me. My bf however is like most people and will spend an hour admiring shoes in a shoe store.

Idk, I feel wrong for my attitude but still feel anger about things like this. For example my bf tried to tell the lady in the Tommy store how nice I'd look in this one outfit and I started off and said my bfs cares about clothes way more than I do. And said to make a point I don't care about Tommy in their store.

I know it was rude and probably jerkish. Feel guilty my attitude is so bad and negative toward people, society, and things other people find normal. I agree with the other person who said they take a kind of hypocritical way to be.

Not sure why I think I'm so much better than other people just cause I try not to follow trends and the crowd.

Don’t waste your life trying to fit in with someone else’s POV. Figure out what you really think, and do it quick

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Idk, I feel wrong for my attitude but still feel anger about things like this. For example my bf tried to tell the lady in the Tommy store how nice I'd look in this one outfit and I mouthed off and said my bf cares about clothes way more than I do. And said to make a point I don't care about Tommy in their store. Its like I wanted her and everyone else to know how dumb I though they were for caring so much about brands and clothes.

I know it was rude and probably jerkish. Feel guilty my attitude is so bad and negative toward people, society, and things other people find normal. I agree with the other person who said it's a kind of hypocritical way to be.

In regards to not wanting to follow fashion trends I am right there with you.
I wear what I like to wear and if others don't like it, that is there loss.
All summer long I wear shorts and t-shirts. I go to church in shorts. I make sure they are clean and my shirt is clean, but it is still shorts and t-shirts.
Jeans and sweaters in the winter time.
So, if you are happy wearing what you wish to wear don't let anyone tell you that you would look good in something else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums