✟1,354,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Philippians 3:2-4 NIV

“Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the false circumcision; for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and take pride in Christ Jesus, and put no confidence in the flesh, although I myself could boast as having confidence even in the flesh.”

Beware of the Dogs

A dog is considered to be someone despicable, who is a spiritual predator who feeds off others. It is often used as a term describing a false teacher. It is describing the impure, the wicked, i.e., those outside of genuine faith in Jesus Christ, particularly those who are workers of evil.

The dogs are the unclean, unholy, who are masters at smooth talk and flattery and who manipulate and deceive the naïve. They oppose the true gospel of salvation and they teach a false gospel of men, of the flesh, not of the Spirit. They also oppose the Lord’s servants and messengers who are teaching the true gospel of Jesus Christ and who are exposing the lies.

Today they would be any teachers of any false gospel which opposes the true gospel of our salvation as Jesus taught it and as Paul and the other apostles taught it, in its fulness, i.e., the whole counsel of God. In other words, if we want to know the true gospel, we have to read the Bible in context and not take Scriptures out of context to build our doctrines.

Whether these dogs, i.e., these false teachers, are teaching true legalism (man-made rules), not of God, or whether they are teaching a cheapened form of God’s grace which is a lie of Satan, either one is still of the flesh of man, not of God, not of God’s Spirit, and thus not the true gospel.

And that really is the lesson here. We are to beware those who are teaching any false gospel of men, which is of the flesh and not of the Spirit of God. And we are to beware those who would try to convince you that the true gospel is a lie and that a false gospel is the truth. And they make their case by twisting the Scriptures by removing them from their context.

When Paul speaks here of putting confidence in the flesh, he is speaking of those things which are external, such as physical circumcision, membership in a particular church denomination, church attendance, forms of religion, days and ceremonies regarded as sacred, rules about clothing, and loyalty to one particular Bible translation to the point of treating brothers and sisters in Christ with meanness who don’t worship the same Bible translation.

He is not talking about repentance, obedience to Christ and submission to Christ as Lord of our lives as though they are of the flesh, and not of the Spirit. Those who teach that are liars.

Beware of the False Circumcision

The Scriptures are quite clear that the circumcision that is of the Spirit is performed without hands in the putting off of the body of the sins of the flesh in the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with him in baptism, in which we were also raised with him through faith in the working of God (Col 2:11-12; see also Rom 6:1-23; Eph 4:17-24).

So, what is this saying? It is saying that we who believe in Jesus are of the true circumcision, which is dying with Christ to sin, being buried with Christ in death to sin, and being raised with Christ by God to newness of life in Christ to be lived to Christ and to his righteousness.

When we believed in Jesus to be Lord and Savior of our lives, if we did, in truth, our old self was crucified with Christ in order that the body of sin might be done away with so that we would no longer be slaves to sin but so we would now live holy and godly lives as slaves of his righteousness.

All throughout the New Testament, particularly in Paul’s writings, we are told we must walk (in practice) according to the Spirit and not according to the flesh, that we must put off living like we did before we came to faith in Jesus Christ and that we are now to walk in purity of devotion to our Lord in holiness, godliness, and righteousness.

So, taking confidence in the flesh has to do with things which are outward, not having anything to do with the change of our hearts away from sin to walking in obedience to the Lord. Confidence in the flesh also has to do with taking pride in the works of the flesh which are sexual immorality, impurity, idolatry, pride, greed, slander, and the like.

If we are walking in true holiness and righteousness, it comes from God, not from our flesh. There is a huge difference between us trying to live self-righteous lives which take pride in the flesh and us living in the power of God in his righteousness which comes from him who is now living within us empowering us to live godly and holy lives for his praise and glory.

The first one lives by the flesh and does everything in one’s own strength and power. The second one lives by the Spirit and does everything in the strength and power of God’s Holy Spirit. We can’t obey the Lord in the flesh or it is not obedience. It may be following a set of rules, but it isn’t obedience. The Pharisees were rule followers, to a certain extent, but they were not obedient to the Lord.

No Confidence in the Flesh

So, to teach this passage of Scripture today, when we say to beware evil workers (the dogs) who are of the false circumcision, this is not speaking just of legalism, but it is speaking of all those who teach a false gospel created in the minds of humans which is contrary to the holiness of God.

Those who are teaching or who are implying that we can believe in Jesus, be forgiven our sins, be saved, and have heaven guaranteed us when we die, but that we don’t have to repent of our sins, or obey the Lord, or submit to the Lordship of Christ over our lives, they are lying to you.

If they are teaching that a mere profession of faith in Christ or words repeated after someone in a prayer secures you salvation from sin and eternity with God, don’t believe them. The Scriptures teach that we must walk (in practice) according to the Spirit and not according to the flesh if we want that hope of salvation from sin and eternal life with God (Rom 8:1-17).

And the Scriptures teach that we will reap what we sow. If we sow to please the flesh, from the flesh we will reap destruction (death). But if we sow to please the Spirit, from the Spirit we will reap eternal life (Gal 6:7-8; cf. Rom 2:6-8; 1 Co 6:9-10; 2 Co 5:10).

So, just because it may sound good to your ears doesn’t make it true. Remember that they killed Jesus because they didn’t like what he taught. Many deserted him because they said what he taught was hard. For, he taught that we must die with him to sin and live to his righteousness.

So, read the Scriptures in context prayerfully with a willing mind and heart to be taught by the Spirit of God and to learn the truth. For many will call him “Lord,” but it doesn’t mean he is Lord of their lives. We must die with him to sin daily and follow him in obedience to his commands (Lu 9:23-26; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-17; Eph 4:17-24; 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Jn 2:3-6; Jn 10:27).

Should I Not Preach Jesus

An Original Work / July 4, 2013
Based off 1 Corinthians 9:16-10:13

Woe to me should I not preach Jesus.
I’m compelled to preach the full gospel.
I make myself a slave to ev’ryone
To win their hearts to Christ.
All this I do for my Lord Jesus,
And for the sake of His Name;
Do it for the sake of His gospel,
So that I, its blessings gain.

Scripture notates the sins of others;
Written down for us as examples
To keep us from setting our hearts
On evil as did those of old.
Do not worship other gods of man;
Do not give your hearts to them;
Not partake in immorality.
Do not test your Lord and King.

So, be careful if you think you are
Standing firm in your faith in Jesus.
God has given his word to warn us,
So through faith we will not fall.
No temptation has o’ertaken you
Except what is commonplace.
God is faithful to not let you be
Tempted past what you can bear.
He gives the way of escape.

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
f we are walking in true holiness and righteousness, it comes from God, not from our flesh. There is a huge difference between us trying to live self-righteous lives which take pride in the flesh and us living in the power of God in his righteousness which comes from him who is now living within us empowering us to live godly and holy lives for his praise and glory.

The first one lives by the flesh and does everything in one’s own strength and power. The second one lives by the Spirit and does everything in the strength and power of God’s Holy Spirit. We can’t obey the Lord in the flesh or it is not obedience. It may be following a set of rules, but it isn’t obedience. The Pharisees were rule followers, to a certain extent, but they were not obedient to the Lord.

Will you elaborate? How does one know in which mode one is living? How does one know they are living by the power of the flesh or of the Spirit?

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,354,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Will you elaborate? How does one know in which mode one is living? How does one know they are living by the power of the flesh or of the Spirit?

It will be apparent by the fruit that one produces. If we are living by the power of the flesh, the fruit will reveal that. It will be about us, not about God. We will be like the Israelites of old who offered physical sacrifices to God, thinking God would be pleased with them while they refused to obey his commands, while they refused to honor him as their God and Lord, and while they engaged in all manner of evil. It was all on their terms, not on God's terms.

When we live by the power of the Spirit, we are living the way God has called us to live, not the way we decide to live. He is the one in control, not us. He is the one guiding and directing our lives, not us. Our mindset will be in line with his. We will be about his work. It will not be us making all the decisions. We will be following his lead moment by moment. And Scripture teaches that our fruit will reveal if we are truly of God or not.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Satan sends people our way to derail the work or create distractions. Fruit is one of the ways I detect the source. The spirit is different. There’s a forcefulness or eagerness for closeness which doesn’t mirror the connections the Lord developed on my behalf. With some I detect falsity. They smile and say pretty things but I sense their envy underneath.

The further I progress in my calling the clearer it becomes. God didn’t send that person. Oftentimes the ones we must be most vigilant about aren’t outsiders. It’s the person sitting beside you.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

• Agree
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Bella, found it interesting to watch ted talks, there is a woman named Evy Poumpouras who taught a tedtalk on Words :Your most powerful weapons. She mentioned in the first section of her teaching. There is no one more important than the person who is closest to you. You are right when you say that.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It will be apparent by the fruit that one produces. If we are living by the power of the flesh, the fruit will reveal that. It will be about us, not about God. We will be like the Israelites of old who offered physical sacrifices to God, thinking God would be pleased with them while they refused to obey his commands, while they refused to honor him as their God and Lord, and while they engaged in all manner of evil. It was all on their terms, not on God's terms.

When we live by the power of the Spirit, we are living the way God has called us to live, not the way we decide to live. He is the one in control, not us. He is the one guiding and directing our lives, not us. Our mindset will be in line with his. We will be about his work. It will not be us making all the decisions. We will be following his lead moment by moment. And Scripture teaches that our fruit will reveal if we are truly of God or not.

But this is the after the "living in the power of God" evidence. What is the decision, the mechanic (so to speak) that provides for one to be living in God's power vs. relinquishing living in one's own power?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
She mentioned in the first section of her teaching. There is no one more important than the person who is closest to you. You are right when you say that.

Jim Rohn once said, “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.”

He’s correct. The people we keep company with have a direct influence on our thoughts and behavior. I pay close attention to character. That’s the real you when no one’s looking.

I listen to their words and observe their actions. And I look at their life. I ask myself if I want the same. Now I ask another question. Why me? Why do they want to befriend me or get acquainted?

What I’m discerning is mutual benefit. Is the connection edifying or exploitive? Sometimes they’re not interested in me as person. They’re focused on what I can do them, who I can connect them with, and so on. Or they’re emissaries of Satan who’ll attach themselves at the hip. They pretend to support my calling but they don’t.

God placed several people beside me. But there’s a pattern in the type of person He chooses. Overlapping qualities, focus, and spiritual maturity all possess. That’s my benchmark for discernment. The natural and spiritual components (the bible, Holy Spirit, and prayer).

Oftentimes people look for threats outside the church. But that isn’t how warfare works. The attack is two-pronged. Internal and external. The deadliest threat is usually the one in your camp. They have the greatest proximity.

Strategists always plant a mole. Wolves amongst the sheep. We must be wise as serpents to detect them.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Satan sends people our way to derail the work or create distractions. Fruit is one of the ways I detect the source. The spirit is different. There’s a forcefulness or eagerness for closeness which doesn’t mirror the connections the Lord developed on my behalf. With some I detect falsity. They smile and say pretty things but I sense their envy underneath.

The further I progress in my calling the clearer it becomes. God didn’t send that person. Oftentimes the ones we must be most vigilant about aren’t outsiders. It’s the person sitting beside you.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Proverbs 27:6

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oftentimes people look for threats outside the church. But that isn’t how warfare works. The attack is two-pronged. Internal and external. The deadliest threat is usually the one in your camp. They have the greatest proximity.

Some wise comments.

One of the pastors I listened to in earlier days once said, "you never been cheated until you've been cheated by a christian." This was in the context of some of the things you speak of and a warning not to automatically drop your guarded discernment in church.

I wrote the last word in the quote uncapitalized with reason, some of which you speak of. Careful discernment is so important.

Thank you.

NET 1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be deceived: "Bad company corrupts good morals."

NIV 1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."

NKJ 1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be deceived: "Evil company corrupts good habits."

Different translations, but all true.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
One of the pastors I listened to in earlier days once said, "you never been cheated until you've been cheated by a christian." This was in the context of some of the things you speak of and a warning not to automatically drop your guarded discernment in church.

I never assume Christians are the best in the class. One of the worst men I encountered was a believer. He wouldn’t take no for an answer.

I wrote the last word in the quote uncapitalized with reason, some of which you speak of. Careful discernment is so important.

Understandably. He had bizarre ideas about closeness and quoted scriptures to validate his want for togetherness. A Christian stalker should be an oxymoron. But I digress, I’ve met one.

NET 1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be deceived: "Bad company corrupts good morals."

Indeed. Their intent to harm eventually comes out. Avoiding their company is best. Things of God testify to Him. Works of Satan glorify him. The difference is evident.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

• Useful
Reactions: GDL
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums