Bethesda
✟29,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Leo from actualized.org said [paraphrasing]: what do Hitler, Stalin, other dictators, racists, etc. have in common? They all used reason to justify themselves, not only to others, but to themselves. According to Leo, reason is nothing more than the Egoic mind working as a lawyer on behalf of the selfish self. He continues, saying, first there are emotions (which was backed by a scientific article I read), *then* reason comes up with justifications.

This is why, like Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson's churchgoer said, many intellectuals explode with rage when remotely challenged. What happened to being rational? Leo said beware of anyone who claims to be totally governed by reason, as there are probably skeletons in their closet.

Take Objectivism or other dogmas that claim that everyone is a selfish "wolf." Someone wants to be selfish due to resentment. Maybe they were hurt in the past and can't move on. So now they have polarized into "rational" self-interest. Enter Satanism, the religion of The Ruling Elite.

Or, more commonly, there's hedonism. Someone wants to be over-s**ual, drunk, and have fun, equating that with happiness. Next thing you know, they worship science as dogma. Not sure where they get their morals from, but I have found that hedonism is also conducive to being very impetuous and anger-prone. But they wouldn't murder their mother, so I guess that's okay.

How far down the rabbit hole will atheism go?

Hedonism-->Atheism--->Satanism--->Social Darwinism--->Nazism
Atheism--->Hedonism--->Leftism--->Communism--->Antinatalism

No telling what this world is coming to. Heaven help.

Last edited:

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,054.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
According to Leo, reason is nothing more than the Egoic mind working as a lawyer on behalf of the selfish self. He continues, saying, first there are emotions (which was backed by a scientific article I read), *then* reason comes up with justifications.

Not true for everyone.

And the Bible speaks positively about sound reasoning.

God gave us a good brain for that.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Thomas Aquinas said that faith & reason can never conflict, because they come from the same source. Jesus is "the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6); Satan is the "father of lies" (John 8:44), so it stands to reason that God is the Father of Truth; God is Love (1 John 4:8), and Love rejoices in the truth (1 Corinthians 13:6).

As with so many things, it's a tool we have, which can be used for good or for evil. Welcome to free will. Following blindly without reason is how you get caught up in cults, shopping frenzies, and political factions. Ironically, you used reason to explain why we shouldn't use reason.

God be with you.

Upvote 0

AnglicanPeace

Feb 11, 2018
Bethesda
✟29,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
What of a "leap of faith" like Kierkagaard? What about Pascal's Wager? I believe one can be Christian for pragmatic reasons and then grow in their faith. Pascal said God is okay with that, as long as you obey Him and gradually walk towards true conviction. I don't believe you can reason your way into believing. Plus I agree with Kierkagaard that reason takes away from the wonder and esoteric mystery that is part of why religion is so appealing.

Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Leo from actualized.org said [paraphrasing]: what do Hitler, Stalin, other dictators, racists, etc. have in common? They all used reason to justify themselves, not only to others, but to themselves.
More than this. Their reason was not based on the solid foundation of scripture, so resulted in folly. There is nothing wrong with reason, providing one's foundations are correct to build on.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You believe that scripture is solidly grounded in reason and logic?
I don't believe that God granted man the ability to use reason and logic in order than man might forego their use.

Proverbs 3:19-24
The Lord by wisdom founded the earth; by understanding he established the heavens; by his knowledge the deeps broke open, and the clouds drop down the dew.

My son, do not lose sight of these — keep sound wisdom and discretion, and they will be life for your soul and adornment for your neck. Then you will walk on your way securely, and your foot will not stumble. If you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

Upvote 0

AnglicanPeace

Feb 11, 2018
Bethesda
✟29,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Some thinker said that there are many facts, but there is more than one profound Truth. He said therefore, it's not about what's True, it's about what's useful. I don't believe that Christianity can be found through reason and logic. I believe that God reveals himself through the intuition, not reason.

Nobody knows what happens when we die, why there's suffering, who we are, etc. We're all agnostic, so you're either an agnostic theist or an agnostic atheist. I suspect that to be atheist is to deny God on purpose or nitpick particular elements that don't make sense, because a scientific study said that no one is atheist and that people are born believing in God/an afterlife.

Matt Fradd (?) made what I think is a good point: if your worldview has "all the answers," it's probably not the right world view.

Upvote 0