Florida
✟21,832.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ding ding.....

Just expand your post which I posted off of
I know what you are talking about. The link I put up has links to other things. I only put that link up because it has the quote I mentioned earlier. Now if you follow some of those other links, you are going to places I have probably not gone. You are on your own at that point, so if you find something in one of those you don't like or the you disagree with, you will have to take that up with that person. I am not your baby-sitter.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know what you are talking about. The link I put up has links to other things. I only put that link up because it has the quote I mentioned earlier. Now if you follow some of those other links, you are going to places I have probably not gone. You are on your own at that point, so if you find something in one of those you don't like or the you disagree with, you will have to take that up with that person. I am not your baby-sitter.

So, in your estimation, who among today's preachers would be an example of a 'true teacher'? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, but I only asked you to read the text, I'm sure there are links to other things; you are on your own at that point. If you have some issue with some woman, you can take that up with her.
Wow

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oy vey

Your source is bad
It's a third party "quoting" Stanley as saying

And what she quotes him as saying is fine:

"You can't live like the devil"

Unfortunately you claimed Stanley said: "live like the devil"

Which is why (in the first place) I wanted to hear him say it for myself

He never said what you initially claimed he said

He said
You CANT live like the devil

And he is right

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Test 5: The Test of Godly Living

The fifth test is the test of godly living. Sound doctrine has value for godly living, false doctrine leads to ungodly living. Truth never stands on its own, but always has implications in life.

I would say when it leads a person - or tells a person - that love of God and others is not a mandatory commandment. If one reads 1st John, John says that one who does not love his brother is a liar, and does not abide in Christ, nor does he actually love God. But there are a lot of 'false teachers' out there who teach this kind of thing - charles stanley being a prime example of such a false teacher, for he has stated publicly that because of the once-saved-always-saved doctrine, a person can "live like the devil" and not loose their salvation. This teaching is probably about as far off the mark of truth as you can get.
Here's your original claim of what Charles Stanley did (NOT)
say

Which is why I had such a hard time finding the actual sermon where he said this "live like the devil" because he never said it

what he actually DID say was this:

You CANT live like the devil

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Simple answer:

I Corinthians 12:28 and Ephesians 4:11-12

Jesus plainly commanded that only He has authority in the church; furthermore, the Lord stated that even apostles were not allowed to exercise authority over the brethren.
Let me get this straight. You go to a church without any pastors, teachers, or evangelists then, seeing that you believe that these ministries are false. It makes me wonder what type of church you fellowship at. I'm not putting you down. I'm just wondering because I have never heard of anyone saying that Paul was being false when he mentioned these ministries in the Church.

Upvote 0

D. A. Taylor

Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Kingman, AZ
Visit site
✟24,256.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let me get this straight. You go to a church without any pastors, teachers, or evangelists then, seeing that you believe that these ministries are false. It makes me wonder what type of church you fellowship at. I'm not putting you down. I'm just wondering because I have never heard of anyone saying that Paul was being false when he mentioned these ministries in the Church.

There was a time when the mother of two disciples asked Jesus to place her sons in positions of authority. Here is how Jesus responded: But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you (Matthew 20:25-27 — KJV).

Then Jesus said this: I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd (John 10:16). And here the Greek word translated into the English "shepherd" is the same word Paul used that is translated into the English "pastor."

As far your traditions regarding fellowship at what you like to call "church," Jesus said this: "He was also saying to them, "You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition" (Mark 7:9).

Thus according to Jesus Christ, there is only one flock (fellowship) having one Shepherd (pastor). But of course, all these teachings of Jesus must be set aside, so self-appointed pastors can raise up churches and demand tithes and offerings that were prohibited by both Jesus and the Old Covenant.

• Agree
Reactions: cantool
Upvote 0

DingDing

Feb 27, 2016
Florida
✟21,832.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, in your estimation, who among today's preachers would be an example of a 'true teacher'? Just wondering.

I don't follow popular, big-name preachers, and the very fact that they are popular probably means they have compromised the truth at some point or another to become so. Jesus' popularity plummeted late in His ministry, when His teaching became too hard and too demanding for many to accept. In my experience, if you find a popular, big-name preacher, he has compromised on some things to get there. But stanley, and the like, have gone way too far with their cheap grace gospel. When someone teaches that how you live can't impact where you end up - they have compromised big-time - this is a significant error, and one for which they will have to answer for.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was a time when the mother of two disciples asked Jesus to place her sons in positions of authority. Here is how Jesus responded: But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you (Matthew 20:25-27 — KJV).

Then Jesus said this: I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd (John 10:16). And here the Greek word translated into the English "shepherd" is the same word Paul used that is translated into the English "pastor."

As far your traditions regarding fellowship at what you like to call "church," Jesus said this: "He was also saying to them, "You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition" (Mark 7:9).

Thus according to Jesus Christ, there is only one flock (fellowship) having one Shepherd (pastor). But of course, all these teachings of Jesus must be set aside, so self-appointed pastors can raise up churches and demand tithes and offerings that were prohibited by both Jesus and the Old Covenant.
So will you forsake the gathering together?

Especially when you see the days becoming more and more evil?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't follow popular, big-name preachers, and the very fact that they are popular probably means they have compromised the truth at some point or another to become so. Jesus' popularity plummeted late in His ministry, when His teaching became too hard and too demanding for many to accept. In my experience, if you find a popular, big-name preacher, he has compromised on some things to get there. But stanley, and the like, have gone way too far with their cheap grace gospel. When someone teaches that how you live can't impact where you end up - they have compromised big-time - this is a significant error, and one for which they will have to answer for.
Probably...maybe..possibly

If you do not know for sure of what you are saying is a truth about someone , you shouldn't say it

Upvote 0

sparow

Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟481,862.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
A false teacher is anyone who teaches or attempts to convince others of things which are false. In religious terms, it is any person who teaches contrary to the word of God.

“False teachers” derives from the compound Greek pseudo-didaskalos. Pseudo suggests the idea of deception—that which is not true, hence deceives. A false teacher is disingenuous in character and in the composition of his message. His motivation is not a greater understanding of the Scriptures, but rather to convince others to embrace his false message.

False teachers have always been among us. Peter warned in 2nd Peter 2: 1-2 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. Today we see them in all walks of life, promoting doctrine that has no basis in Scriptural teaching.

Doctrine is a set of beliefs or ideas that are taught or believed to be true. Biblical doctrine is considered to be doctrine which conforms to the word of God and the teaching of Christ. Conversely, false doctrine is anything which contradicts, adds to or takes away from the word of God. Baptists tend to consider the concept of purgatory to be false doctrine because it is never mentioned in the cannons accepted into the King James Bible. Many Catholics consider the symbolic interpretation of the body and blood of Christ to be false doctrine. Most fundamentalists consider the notion that Genesis is a myth and evolution is true to be false doctrine. How do you know which is false? There are five tests.

Test 1: The Test of Origin

The first test is the test of origin. Sound doctrine originates with God; false doctrine originates with someone or something created by God. If someone is teaching something which originates from the unsaved it’s most likely false doctrine.

Test 2: The Test of Authority

The second test is the test of authority. Sound doctrine grounds its authority within the Bible; false doctrine grounds its authority outside the Bible. The Bible is God’s inerrant, infallible, sufficient, complete, and authoritative revelation of himself to humanity. Anything which contradicts its teaching is false doctrine. It does not have the divine authority of God’s word.

Test 3: The Test of Consistency

The third test is the test of consistency. Sound doctrine is consistent with the whole of Scripture; false doctrine is inconsistent with some parts of Scripture. There is a sameness or familiarity to true doctrine and a strangeness or unfamiliarity to false doctrine. For example, claiming that Adam existed but that he had evolved from a lesser being is false doctrine. Teaching evolution in any form other than the expected speciation of the animal kingdom after the flood is false doctrine. Creation glorifies the Creator.

Test 4: The Test of Spiritual Growth

The fourth test is the test of spiritual growth. Sound doctrine is beneficial for spiritual health; false doctrine leads to spiritual weakness. Does the teaching lead you closer to God or away from God? Does the teaching help you understand God’s word or tell you to reject portions of God’s word.

Test 5: The Test of Godly Living

The fifth test is the test of godly living. Sound doctrine has value for godly living, false doctrine leads to ungodly living. Truth never stands on its own, but always has implications in life.

Anyone can be a false teacher if they repeat a message filled with false doctrine. If you aren’t sure that what you believe is rooted in the Scriptures, then the safe bet is to present it as your opinion and not try to twist and distort the word of God to fit what you think to be the truth. An example of this is that I believe there can be circumstances where the human spirit does not fully cross over into eternity. These spirits are allowed to exist in the spiritual world because that world has not been brought to an end yet. A spirit in this world might well be able to contact one form another existence the same way the Witch of Endor used a familiar spirit (demon) to contact the spirit of Samuel. While I believe there is evidence to support this, if I were ever to claim it as factual it would be false teaching unless I could prove it with the Scriptures. So until then it remains an opinion.

As Christians we need to be ever vigilant that our words are consistent with the Scriptures lest we ourselves become false teachers. There are many false doctrines being batted around here, both from the otherwise Godly and the ungodly. We need to be ever vigilant of the false teachers in our midst and all around us.

source
source

I do not believe you have it right. False teachings are God's doctrine falsified, that is false teachings are where the teaching of God are changed or abrogated (changed Laws and times). The term "false teacher" is only useful if it does not apply to everyone; I see false teachers in three groups, those who teach others to sin and are the least in the kingdom, there are the Atheists who disagree and oppose, then there are the super crowd who openly engage in warfare against God.

A good example of a false teaching is Futurism; Futurism began at the council of Trent, created by Ribera a Jesuit Priest, the idea was to place the anti-Christ outside the time frame of the Papacy; instead of having Jesus fulfil the seventieth week of Daniel's prophesy Ribera threw the seventieth week down to the end of time and has Satan fulfil the seventieth week. With the invent of Futurism a name was required for the way it had always been done which is Historism, simply the seventieth week is history or the seventieth week is future.

How would you test which is false and which is true; I wouldn't waist my time because the matter is obvious, but most Christians have accepted some degree of Futurism.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not believe you have it right. False teachings are God's doctrine falsified, that is false teachings are where the teaching of God are changed or abrogated (changed Laws and times). The term "false teacher" is only useful if it does not apply to everyone; I see false teachers in three groups, those who teach others to sin and are the least in the kingdom, there are the Atheists who disagree and oppose, then there are the super crowd who openly engage in warfare against God.

A good example of a false teaching is Futurism; Futurism began at the council of Trent, created by Ribera a Jesuit Priest, the idea was to place the anti-Christ outside the time frame of the Papacy; instead of having Jesus fulfil the seventieth week of Daniel's prophesy Ribera threw the seventieth week down to the end of time and has Satan fulfil the seventieth week. With the invent of Futurism a name was required for the way it had always been done which is Historism, simply the seventieth week is history or the seventieth week is future.

How would you test which is false and which is true; I wouldn't waist my time because the matter is obvious, but most Christians have accepted some degree of Futurism.
Where do you place 2 Thessalonians 2

Upvote 0

sparow

Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟481,862.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Where do you place 2 Thessalonians 2

I put 2 Thessalonians 2, in group 3; openly engaging in warfare against God. I usually take the position that nothing can be proved from scripture, because everyone interprets scripture differently; so I chose to not use Paul and leave his judgement to God. Paul is brilliant and not prone to silly mistakes, which causes me to doubt that Paul wrote 2 Thessalonians 2; because it contains silly mistakes. These errors could be the effect of interpretation/translation but I don't think so; Paul, brilliant and with the equivalent of a Phd in OT scripture would know about "the day of the Lord" mentioned 31 times in the KJV OT and prophesied by almost every prophet, is the great and terrible day of the Lord, where God's anger becomes unbridled; Paul equates "the day of the Lord" with the gathering together of his brethren in the presence of Jesus. It is amazing how each different translation changes the story; the introduction by translators to the chapter suggests Paul is warning against expecting the day of the Lord prematurely; if he was warning about the expecting of the return of Christ prematurely that would be different. What worries me most is verse 5; in verse 4 the man of sin presumes to be God, then in verse 5 Paul speaks as did Christ: "Remember ye not, that, when I was with you, I told you these things?

John 13:19 (RSV)
19 I tell you this now, before it takes place, that when it does take place you may believe that I am he.

What would the revealing of the "man of sin" look like; an eminent person making a declaration; or would it be more subtle; we all know that abrogating the Law results in lawlessness (which Paul speaks of in 2 Thessalonians 2), which man did that?

If the man of sin is one of the beasts of Revelation, then "day of the Lord" reveals the man of sin. The apostle John was in the spirit on the day of the Lord, Rev 4:2, what follows is Johns account of the "day of the Lord" as revealed by Jesus; where does it say the man of sin has to be revealed first. The white horses are the first and second coming of Christ, first with the covenant and second with judgement.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

So, I guess by your response, you don't go to any church or any group where Christians fellowship with each other. I have question for you: I am a senior elder in a Presbyterian church, does this mean you think I am not saved? Just asking out of curiosity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do the Scriptures say? If they say God created the world in six days and you tell people the world evolved over 13.5 billion years, you are teaching false doctrine. If they say that God destroyed the world in a great flood but for Noah's family and you say it never happened, then you are teaching false doctrine. This is not to say that you can't have questions. A false teacher is one who promotes false doctrine as if it were factual.

Upvote 0

sparow

Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟481,862.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What do the Scriptures say? If they say God created the world in six days and you tell people the world evolved over 13.5 billion years, you are teaching false doctrine. If they say that God destroyed the world in a great flood but for Noah's family and you say it never happened, then you are teaching false doctrine. This is not to say that you can't have questions. A false teacher is one who promotes false doctrine as if it were factual.

If the scriptures precisely said everything we wouldn't have hundred and thousands of Christian sects; if people said evolution per say didn't exist they would be wrong; the word describes a concept; if they said Darwin's theory is nonsense this would be different; Darwin uses the concept inappropriately; if Darwin's theory was rational it would be one guess out of an infinite set, statistically one out of infinity is hard to pick. Judeo/Christian doctrine depends on God's authority; if creation and the flood were allegorical these are still part of the frame work that God has used for the reality He has given us. A false teacher in the Judeo/Christian is different to a secular false teacher in that he violates a trust; in the secular world a false teacher need not break any Law; there would be a problem determining the authority that determines what is false.

Upvote 0

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, what in your response addresses the fact that I see Charles Stanley as a legitimate, fellow Christian and teacher? Are you implying that Charles Stanley is a 'false teacher'?

First, to the extent any of us has false beliefs, no matter how sincere we are, if we teach in accordance with those erroneous beliefs, we are false teachers. In that category, all men have erroneous beliefs. I am a man. You are a man. Charles Stanley is a man. To some extent, if we teach all our beliefs, we are going to be false teachers at some point.

I have been a false teacher. I have altered a number of my beliefs since I started teaching 30 plus years ago. Some of what I taught then as "fact" I now know to be "error". Getting to truth is a process, not a destination. He will continue to perfect us until His coming. I haven't arrived, nor has Charles Stanley.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I put 2 Thessalonians 2, in group 3; openly engaging in warfare against God. I usually take the position that nothing can be proved from scripture, because everyone interprets scripture differently; so I chose to not use Paul and leave his judgement to God. Paul is brilliant and not prone to silly mistakes, which causes me to doubt that Paul wrote 2 Thessalonians 2; because it contains silly mistakes. These errors could be the effect of interpretation/translation but I don't think so; Paul, brilliant and with the equivalent of a Phd in OT scripture would know about "the day of the Lord" mentioned 31 times in the KJV OT and prophesied by almost every prophet, is the great and terrible day of the Lord, where God's anger becomes unbridled; Paul equates "the day of the Lord" with the gathering together of his brethren in the presence of Jesus. It is amazing how each different translation changes the story; the introduction by translators to the chapter suggests Paul is warning against expecting the day of the Lord prematurely; if he was warning about the expecting of the return of Christ prematurely that would be different. What worries me most is verse 5; in verse 4 the man of sin presumes to be God, then in verse 5 Paul speaks as did Christ: "Remember ye not, that, when I was with you, I told you these things?

John 13:19 (RSV)
19 I tell you this now, before it takes place, that when it does take place you may believe that I am he.
HE was talking about the coming of THE HOLY SPIRIT which will be poured out upon all who believe the ONE GOSPEL. You have stuck 2 Thessalonians 2 in to imply something different than what was being spoken of in John 13

Completely different and opposite
2 Thessalonians 2 is talking about when HE who holds all things back Is taken out of the way, then will the man of sin be revealed. But we know who restrains evil
Do you?

sparow said:
would the revealing of the "man of sin" look like; an eminent person making a declaration; or would it be more subtle; we all know that abrogating the Law results in lawlessness (which Paul speaks of in 2 Thessalonians 2), which man did that?
It will look like unbridled evil for the ONE who holds all things back will be taken out of the way so that evil will have full reign

Sparrow said:
the man of sin is one of the beasts of Revelation, then "day of the Lord" reveals the man of sin.
Yes. By fire

Sparrow said:
apostle John was in the spirit on the day of the Lord, Rev 4:2, what follows is Johns account of the "day of the Lord" as revealed by Jesus;

No. What followed were the things revealed to John so as to warn all the servants of the LORD what must follow just as it is written in the first chapter of revelation

Sparrow said:
where does it say the man of sin has to be revealed first

In 2 Thessalonians 2 which you consider a silly letter

Last edited:
Upvote 0