Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A false teacher is anyone who teaches or attempts to convince others of things which are false. In religious terms, it is any person who teaches contrary to the word of God.

“False teachers” derives from the compound Greek pseudo-didaskalos. Pseudo suggests the idea of deception—that which is not true, hence deceives. A false teacher is disingenuous in character and in the composition of his message. His motivation is not a greater understanding of the Scriptures, but rather to convince others to embrace his false message.

False teachers have always been among us. Peter warned in 2nd Peter 2: 1-2 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. Today we see them in all walks of life, promoting doctrine that has no basis in Scriptural teaching.

Doctrine is a set of beliefs or ideas that are taught or believed to be true. Biblical doctrine is considered to be doctrine which conforms to the word of God and the teaching of Christ. Conversely, false doctrine is anything which contradicts, adds to or takes away from the word of God. Baptists tend to consider the concept of purgatory to be false doctrine because it is never mentioned in the cannons accepted into the King James Bible. Many Catholics consider the symbolic interpretation of the body and blood of Christ to be false doctrine. Most fundamentalists consider the notion that Genesis is a myth and evolution is true to be false doctrine. How do you know which is false? There are five tests.

Test 1: The Test of Origin

The first test is the test of origin. Sound doctrine originates with God; false doctrine originates with someone or something created by God. If someone is teaching something which originates from the unsaved it’s most likely false doctrine.

Test 2: The Test of Authority

The second test is the test of authority. Sound doctrine grounds its authority within the Bible; false doctrine grounds its authority outside the Bible. The Bible is God’s inerrant, infallible, sufficient, complete, and authoritative revelation of himself to humanity. Anything which contradicts its teaching is false doctrine. It does not have the divine authority of God’s word.

Test 3: The Test of Consistency

The third test is the test of consistency. Sound doctrine is consistent with the whole of Scripture; false doctrine is inconsistent with some parts of Scripture. There is a sameness or familiarity to true doctrine and a strangeness or unfamiliarity to false doctrine. For example, claiming that Adam existed but that he had evolved from a lesser being is false doctrine. Teaching evolution in any form other than the expected speciation of the animal kingdom after the flood is false doctrine. Creation glorifies the Creator.

Test 4: The Test of Spiritual Growth

The fourth test is the test of spiritual growth. Sound doctrine is beneficial for spiritual health; false doctrine leads to spiritual weakness. Does the teaching lead you closer to God or away from God? Does the teaching help you understand God’s word or tell you to reject portions of God’s word.

Test 5: The Test of Godly Living

The fifth test is the test of godly living. Sound doctrine has value for godly living, false doctrine leads to ungodly living. Truth never stands on its own, but always has implications in life.

Anyone can be a false teacher if they repeat a message filled with false doctrine. If you aren’t sure that what you believe is rooted in the Scriptures, then the safe bet is to present it as your opinion and not try to twist and distort the word of God to fit what you think to be the truth. An example of this is that I believe there can be circumstances where the human spirit does not fully cross over into eternity. These spirits are allowed to exist in the spiritual world because that world has not been brought to an end yet. A spirit in this world might well be able to contact one form another existence the same way the Witch of Endor used a familiar spirit (demon) to contact the spirit of Samuel. While I believe there is evidence to support this, if I were ever to claim it as factual it would be false teaching unless I could prove it with the Scriptures. So until then it remains an opinion.

As Christians we need to be ever vigilant that our words are consistent with the Scriptures lest we ourselves become false teachers. There are many false doctrines being batted around here, both from the otherwise Godly and the ungodly. We need to be ever vigilant of the false teachers in our midst and all around us.

source
source

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Not all, if not, most false teachers aren't aware they are spreading false teachings.

Most have genuinely good intentions at least in their limited perspective or point of view.

And the vast majority of false teachers aren't aware that they themselves are false teachers!

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A false teacher is anyone who teaches or attempts to convince others of things which are false. In religious terms, it is any person who teaches contrary to the word of God.

“False teachers” derives from the compound Greek pseudo-didaskalos. Pseudo suggests the idea of deception—that which is not true, hence deceives. A false teacher is disingenuous in character and in the composition of his message. His motivation is not a greater understanding of the Scriptures, but rather to convince others to embrace his false message.

False teachers have always been among us. Peter warned in 2nd Peter 2: 1-2 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. Today we see them in all walks of life, promoting doctrine that has no basis in Scriptural teaching.

Doctrine is a set of beliefs or ideas that are taught or believed to be true. Biblical doctrine is considered to be doctrine which conforms to the word of God and the teaching of Christ. Conversely, false doctrine is anything which contradicts, adds to or takes away from the word of God. Baptists tend to consider the concept of purgatory to be false doctrine because it is never mentioned in the cannons accepted into the King James Bible. Many Catholics consider the symbolic interpretation of the body and blood of Christ to be false doctrine. Most fundamentalists consider the notion that Genesis is a myth and evolution is true to be false doctrine. How do you know which is false? There are five tests.

The first test is the test of origin. Sound doctrine originates with God; false doctrine originates with someone or something created by God. If someone is teaching something which originates from the unsaved it’s most likely false doctrine.

The second test is the test of authority. Sound doctrine grounds its authority within the Bible; false doctrine grounds its authority outside the Bible. The Bible is God’s inerrant, infallible, sufficient, complete, and authoritative revelation of himself to humanity. Anything which contradicts its teaching is false doctrine. It does not have the divine authority of God’s word.

The third test is the test of consistency. Sound doctrine is consistent with the whole of Scripture; false doctrine is inconsistent with some parts of Scripture. There is a sameness or familiarity to true doctrine and a strangeness or unfamiliarity to false doctrine. For example, claiming that Adam existed but that he had evolved from a lesser being is false doctrine. Teaching evolution in any form other than the expected speciation of the animal kingdom after the flood is false doctrine. Creation glorifies the Creator.

The fourth test is the test of spiritual growth. Sound doctrine is beneficial for spiritual health; false doctrine leads to spiritual weakness. Does the teaching lead you closer to God or away from God? Does the teaching help you understand God’s word or tell you to reject portions of God’s word.

The fifth test is the test of godly living. Sound doctrine has value for godly living, false doctrine leads to ungodly living. Truth never stands on its own, but always has implications in life.

Anyone can be a false teacher if they repeat a message filled with false doctrine. If you aren’t sure that what you believe is rooted in the Scriptures, then the safe bet is to present it as your opinion and not try to twist and distort the word of God to fit what you think to be the truth. An example of this is that I believe there can be circumstances where the human spirit does not fully cross over into eternity. These spirits are allowed to exist in the spiritual world because that world has not been brought to an end yet. A spirit in this world might well be able to contact one form another existence the same way the Witch of Endor used a familiar spirit (demon) to contact the spirit of Samuel. While I believe there is evidence to support this, if I were ever to claim it as factual it would be false teaching unless I could prove it with the Scriptures. So until then it remains an opinion.

As Christians we need to be ever vigilant that our words are consistent with the Scriptures lest we ourselves become false teachers. There are many false doctrines being batted around here, both from the otherwise Godly and the ungodly. We need to be ever vigilant of the false teachers in our midst and all around us.

source
source

So, by this criteria, if we assume tests 2 and 3 are indeed copacetic, then I'm a false teacher. Oh, Yay. :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So, by this criteria, if we assume tests 2 and 3 are indeed copacetic, then I'm a false teacher. Oh, Yay. :rolleyes:

You can be my false teacher. I have a position available that is open right now.

;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can be my false teacher. I have a position available that is open right now.

;)

I guess if I asked "how much does the position pay?," I'd just be confirming the premise of the OP. :D

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I guess if I asked "how much does the position pay?," I'd just be confirming the premise of the OP. :D

It pays one of these babies an hour:

pancake_bunny.jpg

They multiply fast.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

source
source

Now...about Test 5 here, just how godly or ungodly does one have to be, either way, to qualify as a 'false teacher'? (Or, if I'm not really a teacher in the strictest sense, then a "false propagator.") o_O

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This is one of these threads where I don't know what to do. Should I:

1. Go off-topic and create comic relief?

2. Be an opposing side to the OP's arguments and become hated by all the pure theologians here?

3. Ignore the thread.

I think I'll go with 3.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not all, if not, most false teachers aren't aware they are spreading false teachings.
Most have genuinely good intentions at least in their limited perspective or point of view.
And the vast majority of false teachers aren't aware that they themselves are false teachers!
I agree.
Many believe that they are right and that they are the ones with the correct answers.
There is probably only a small percentage with malicious intent.

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I expect everyone is a false teacher to someone...well, if they teach at all.
The point is quite simply that if you are going to attempt to convince someone that your opinion is correct and Godly that your opinions should be rooted in the Scriptures when it pertains to Biblical matters. We all have opinions. We can share our opinions without teaching things which are contrary to the scriptures.

My mom was an old earth creationist. She believed that God created the earth but it was millions of years ago. I read the Scriptures with that mindset but could never find anything to support it. The more I read the more I became convinced that the Genesis account meant exactly what it said. I've not found any support whatever for what I was taught.

Reactions: miknik5
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The point is quite simply that if you are going to attempt to convince someone that your opinion is correct and Godly that your opinions should be rooted in the Scriptures when it pertains to Biblical matters. We all have opinions. We can share our opinions without teaching things which are contrary to the scriptures.

My mom was an old earth creationist. She believed that God created the earth but it was millions of years ago. I read the Scriptures with that mindset but could never find anything to support it. The more I read the more I became convinced that the Genesis account meant exactly what it said. I've not found any support whatever for what I was taught.

...but that's just the catch: even a basic understanding of the Bible requires at least some knowledge gained from outside it's own text-------------it didn't drop directly like a stone from the heavens, out of a void or the thin-air.

Reactions: Left
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Doctrine is a set of beliefs or ideas that are taught or believed to be true. Biblical doctrine is considered to be doctrine which conforms to the word of God and the teaching of Christ. Conversely, false doctrine is anything which contradicts, adds to or takes away from the word of God. Baptists tend to consider the concept of purgatory to be false doctrine because it is never mentioned in the cannons accepted into the King James Bible. Many Catholics consider the symbolic interpretation of the body and blood of Christ to be false doctrine. Most fundamentalists consider the notion that Genesis is a myth and evolution is true to be false doctrine.

You described a false teacher as someone who teaches contrary to the Word of God, and someone who is trying to deceive others, and someone who is promoting doctrine that has no basis in Scriptural teaching, but then you listed an example of the doctrine the doctrine that that communion is symbolic. However, I would not describe the people on either side of that issue in those terms. One of the two positions is wrong, but the people who are wrong are sincerely wrong and are not trying to deceive the others. It is a matter of interpretation of a specific verse, so in trying to understand what was being communicated by God, one side doesn't have grounds to claim that their doctrine originated with God while the other side's doctrine doesn't, and the same goes for the test of authority. Neither position is more consistent with the rest of Scripture than the other, neither leads to more spiritual growth, and neither leads to more godly living.

False teachers have always been among us. Peter warned in 2nd Peter 2: 1-2
But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. Today we see them in all walks of life, promoting doctrine that has no basis in Scriptural teaching.

2 Peter 3:15-17 Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. 16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction. 17 Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position.

The false teachers are those who have twisted Paul's words to their own destruction and have been carried away by the error of Lawlessness. Do you know anyone today who has twisted Paul's words to teach that we do not need to obey God's Law?

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I agree completely. As for recent or ancient creation, I lean toward a recent creation, but I will admit to anyone that our world LOOKS very old. Given that, the Bible tells us to believe the Bible, and I know that that Book is self-authenicating.

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One of the two positions is wrong, but the people who are wrong are sincerely wrong and are not trying to deceive the others.

Not all false teachers are intentionally trying to deceive.
Some sincerely believe in things that aren't solidly rooted in the Scriptures.
We should, therefore, always be sure to make it clear which words are ours and which are from Scripture.

• Agree
Reactions: Clintos
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

In practice, it is anybody who thinks differently from you.
The idea is worth scrutinizing.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What does copacetic mean? :scratch: Don't find that in the Bible therefore it must be false! :sorry:

Upvote 0