Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I notice that you are United Methodist. One thing that would have better helped me to prepare is getting involved in Lay Servant Ministries over the years.

Lay Servant Ministries - umcdiscipleship.org

You can often find various courses being offered through your local Conference, so look up United Methodist Conference <put your state here> and see what they have available.

Also, talk to your pastor and current staff and lay leadership about volunteer ministry opportunities in your church because you are thinking about going into some form of ministry.

You might recall that United Methodists believe that ALL people are called to ministry of some sort, not just clergy, so whether you end up called into ministry vocationally or some other way, all of the above are still very valuable.

Another good resource from the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry:

Candidacy

Also, if you are called into some form of vocational ministry and seek to become a certified ministry candidate, you will want to read The Christian as Minister (and likely will be required to read it anyway).

The Christian as Minister

This book is great at laying out all the different vocational ministry opportunities within the UMC, for both lay and clergy. Before I read this book, I thought the opportunities were limited to only Pastor and Missionary. Was I ever wrong! :)

Upvote 0

Heartfullofchrist

Friend to All
May 3, 2019
Olathe
✟9,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I notice that you are United Methodist. One thing that would have better helped me to prepare is getting involved in Lay Servant Ministries over the years.

Lay Servant Ministries - umcdiscipleship.org

You can often find various courses being offered through your local Conference, so look up United Methodist Conference <put your state here> and see what they have available.

Also, talk to your pastor and current staff and lay leadership about volunteer ministry opportunities in your church because you are thinking about going into some form of ministry.

You might recall that United Methodists believe that ALL people are called to ministry of some sort, not just clergy, so whether you end up called into ministry vocationally or some other way, all of the above are still very valuable.

Another good resource from the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry:

Candidacy

Also, if you are called into some form of vocational ministry and seek to become a certified ministry candidate, you will want to read The Christian as Minister (and likely will be required to read it anyway).

The Christian as Minister

This book is great at laying out all the different vocational ministry opportunities within the UMC, for both lay and clergy. Before I read this book, I thought the opportunities were limited to only Pastor and Missionary. Was I ever wrong! :)
Wow! Your reply was so very informative and helpful! Thank you so much!

• Friendly
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

Llleopard

Jun 5, 2018
Hawkes Bay New Zealand
✟135,529.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, dear brothers and sisters in Christ!

I was wondering what type of path, resources, colleges, books, teachers, etc YOU find to be the best at teaching the ways of ministry! I would love any info you can give!
God bless!
Read the Bible. I can't think of a better book to teach you the ways of ministry. Seek out people of faith who show fruit of the Spirit and ask to study the Bible with them. Listen to what the Holy Spirit is telling you, then do it. Practice, practice, practice. Ministry is more than a piece of paper from a college.

Upvote 0

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do something at your church. Anything. clean toilets, mop floors, park cars, whatever. Make your interest known to the leadership of the local church and be ready to do literally anything with a glad heart and a humble spirit. God will open doors.

Upvote 0

theecclesia

Jul 25, 2019
San Diego
✟480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I was wondering what type of path, resources, colleges, books, teachers, etc YOU find to be the best at teaching the ways of ministry! I would love any info you can give!
God bless!

If in deed you have the zeal to the extent of learning the work of the ministry then look no further...The Holy Spirit...John 14:1-18. Now what you need is to figure out from this Path...with which The Holy Spirit is using my family to do. Go read about the churches it is linked to the parables of Jesus. Its also 7 and it's linked to the churches but how many people knows this? God can show you this through His presence in you. when you need any further assistance, send me a message and i will share with you the word of life which is alive and it will conform to your life. Stay blessed.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God bless!

Talk to your minister about wanting to serve.
Then get involved, be the person who will be most missed by the leadership and by the members of your church.

How do you know that you can minister untill you start teaching in sunday school, helping prepare and tidy up after worship, being known by the isolated and lonely in your church.

Upvote 0