Best way to explain Theosis/Sanctification?

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have a friend who has questions about sanctification as salvation.
For example, she says if one is salvation is a process then how baptism can save if you are just starting the process? And if you are saved at baptism then how is theosis related to salvation if you just started the process?

She is Evangelical so she believes in the imputation of righteousness and OSAS

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think it's important to realize the idea of being "saved", as a one-time event is not known in the Orthodox Church. Our baptism, and chrismation is a putting on of Christ. It's our first step into the Holy Mysteries of the Church, and begins our journey of theosis. So we are in the process of "being saved" throughout the entirety of our lives from the moment we are baptized, and chrismated until the very end.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a friend who has questions about sanctification as salvation.
For example, she says if one is salvation is a process then how baptism can save if you are just starting the process? And if you are saved at baptism then how is theosis related to salvation if you just started the process?

She is Evangelical so she believes in the imputation of righteousness and OSAS

it's like putting a metal bar into fire. unless you initially put it in (baptism) it won't attain the properties of the fire. but once you do and it stays in the fire, it becomes like the fire without actually becoming fire (theosis).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
it's like putting a metal bar into iron. unless you initially put it in (baptism) it won't attain the properties of the fire. but once you do and it stays in the fire, it becomes like the fire without actually becoming fire (theosis).
I guess, but she was trying to understand the idea about theosis with getting to heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I guess, but she was trying to understand the idea about theosis with getting to heaven.

heaven is more a condition of the soul than a place. the more like God one is, the more you will experience Him as heaven.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
heaven is more a condition of the soul than a place. the more like God one is, the more you will experience Him as heaven.
Ok, that's where her question comes from because if someone is just starting the process, then that person is not ready.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums