North Coast of New York (Rochester)
Visit site
✟7,798.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Howdy!

On 16 January I found my Spiritual Father.

Being a convert, I am looking for the best way to describe what a "Spiritual Father" is to non-Orthodox friends and family.

So far, the best that I have been able to come up with is:

"A Spiritual Father is the Orthodox equivalant to a guru."
i.e.; A spiritual guide and teacher for life (until one of us reposes,) even if I relocate.

Anybody have any better suggestions?

Last edited:

howdydave

Monastic/Ascetic aspirant
Sep 11, 2007
North Coast of New York (Rochester)
Visit site
✟7,798.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I bow to your communal wisdom...

I used "guru" because, after leaving Protestantism, I "came to the East from the east" and my Spiritual Father will be leading me in the way of asceticism.

Although the negative connotations associated with the word "guru" are based on ignorance of what a guru is, there is no way of getting around the fact that I will be dealing with a great deal of ignorance to begin with. No need to add fuel to the fire!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn't mind "guru" for its literal and historic meaning (having studied Sanskrit), but it seems to have become so much "more" in these last centuries, especially having migrated west.

Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

27B6

Veteran
Oct 14, 2006
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, I think a spiritual father or mother is simply someone who is living and has lived the life of the Church, who has "been there done that" with their own spiritual struggles and learned more than a few things about spiritual realities along the way, and who is now at a point in their spiritual life where he or she can act as a guide, a teacher, an exemplar and a confidant in the faith to those who seek to live in holiness. A spiritual father doesn't need to be a monastic or hierarch, though these are logical places to start in seeking a guide.

Upvote 0

Silentchapel

Saviour of the World, have mercy on us!
Jul 26, 2006
Belgrade, Serbia
✟9,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In Serbia, we tend to describe bad, over-demanding, too strict spiritual fathers as 'gurus'.
Definetely a bad analogy. It will only strengthen the bias your friends might have that this is some weird Eastern religion. I mean, it is Eastern religion, but not that Eastern. :)
Simply describe the spiritual father as a priest you regularely confess too, like having your own doctor. He can best monitor your progress. Two heads are better than one. That is all there is to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums