Best way to acquaint yourself with the bible?

anne97

Nov 28, 2018
South Holland
✟9,614.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The bible is a big book and it's safe to say I'm a bit lost...
What is the best way to read the bible? How can I get started studying the bible? And what are the advantages of starting with a certain book?
I'm not sure if I should just start at Genesis or somewhere else.

And are there any tools that can help someone (preferably a beginner) with bible study? I'm thinking I really want to start journaling my journey, but I'm not quite sure how I should go about doing so.

Thank you so much in advance, God bless.

Reactions: Stone-n-Steel

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the best way to read the bible? How can I get started studying the bible? And what are the advantages of starting with a certain book?

And are there any tools that can help someone (preferably a beginner) with bible study? I'm thinking I really want to start journaling my journey, but I'm not quite sure how I should go about doing so.

There are a lot of people who would suggest starting in the NT, one of the gospels. But the NT relies so much on the OT that without some understanding of the old, the context is lost in the new. I would suggest going back and forth... 2 chapters in Genesis, 1 in Matthew, and Psalm. I am not sure that fully helps the context issue, but it won't hurt. :)

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

You can do so topically ... that way you can search/study on specific things you might have on your mind right now and will include verses (usually) from both the Old and New Testament. www.biblehub.com and run some searches ... a lot of good "tools" there.

May God Bless your journey with Him. Amen.

• Useful
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟193,956.00
Faith
Christian

Starting from Genesis can be overwhelming. I recommend the Star Wars approach by starting with the New Testament. Then you'll be able interpret the Old in light of the New. Also the gospels can be too repetitive for the novice. I recommend reading just one of the synoptics - Luke, and then reading through the NT from that point, John, Acts, Romans ...

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟476,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the best way to read the bible? How can I get started studying the bible?

First of all, there are many different ways to go about a study of the Bible. You should get lot's of advice here - then pick what's going to work for you - it's a personal choice.

I'm going to assume you have already read one or more of the gospels, because that's is where I think you should start - Jesus is what the Bible is all about.

Beyond that, I think you should start at Genesis and continue book-by-book.

Here's a link to some Bible Study advice I give on my blog that may help.

Here's another link to a 90 Day Bible Reading Plan which is also from my blog. It's actually fairly easy to read through the whole Bible in 90 days.

Once you've finished a complete study of the Bible from beginning to end your eyes will be open in a new way as to how it all fits together and then you can begin a more focused study.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hi Anne, I enjoy the book of Matthew, as a straight-forward way to read the events of Jesus' life, and then you could read the book of Acts to see what happened after the crucifixion, that is mostly a historical book. Then if you like to get more of the spiritual depth, reading John and 1 John, 2 John, 3 John are very good for that purpose. Then I would recommend reading through from Genesis 37 to Exodus 7, to see how the tribes of Israel became enslaved in Egypt, and keep reading Exodus if you enjoy it, and then begin reading Joshua, to see how the tribes of Israel went into the promised land.

But there are great depths of knowledge in scripture all through the bible, some of it is history like that, some of it is spiritual philosophy and prophecy, and it's a matter of reading it so that the words are inside of your mind, then the understanding just grows and builds the more that we understand how those words are conveying the knowledge of the faith.

If you like to get the basics right, this little booklet goes through the core topics in The Gospel, and it shows what some of the scriptures have to say about those topics. Every page has a title, and it will guide you to understand The Gospel quite well and you will know how to carry on in the faith when you get to the end of it.

Nice to meet you! .. Welcome to CF! :wave:

• Useful
Reactions: anne97
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I can’t tell you the times I have started reading the Bible and got lost around Exodus. It is best to start out in the New Testament, Psalms, Proverbs, and then start back to Genesis, reading over things like genealogies, and Levitical rituals.

Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single

Starting in the Old testament can be very confusing without the light that comes from the New Testament to Guide you. As the bible says a Vail blinds those who who read the Moses without the Lord to take the Vail away.
2 Cor 3:13-16
12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:
13 And not as Moses, which put a veil over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

I would recommend you Start with the book of John to help explain who God is and what he did(John really goes in depth to the nature of God).
Then read 1st and second timothy to see how a Christian should live, then read Matt, and Luke, then Acts and Ephesians to see what the Apostles did what the Church is.
Then read James, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, John and Jude.
Then Mark, Philemon, and Titus.

After that you should have had enough milk and meat to start in on Romans and Colossians and the like.

I would recommend reading the whole New testament aside from Revelation first because starting with prophesy or the Old Testament will usually cause a person to choke(not being brought up with Milk and weaker meat first).

That is how I recommend doing it, but obviously you can read in whatever order you see fit.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Definitely start with the New Testament. Perhaps John, Luke, Acts, Ephesians, a 3rd gospel, another epistle, a 4th gospel, then more epistles.

As somebody said, starting in the Old Testament can be very confusing.

I would also recommend a good study bible (perhaps the NIV study bible, if you're reading in English). That will help answer the many small questions you'll have while reading.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anto9us

Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Just rejoice, Anne, that you have so much to read and learn.
No shortcuts, no easy way out -- you are right -- it's a big book.
I started reading it 47 years ago. At one age, I KNEW what it all meant !
But now, I find myself saying I cannot say for certain what some passages mean.
Gospel of John is a biggie, as is Luke/Acts.
One tool I had was a Bible with check-blocks for EVERY CHAPTER to mark off -- even skipping around, and going between KJV and Living Bible -- it was a cool day when all chapters of the Bible had been checked off.
You have the Holy Spirit -- a personal teacher to guide you into the truth He Himself inspired.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

A good idea is to read the wikipedia entries for each book and then read the books themselves. It will help put each book in context rather than simply reading them 'blind'.

The bible is filled with imaginative and archaic language and cultural concepts that are foreign to most people today.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've not see it personally, but the reviews for https://www.amazon.com/Bible-Overvi...words=bible+overview+pamphlet#customerReviews are great. And you can download the Kindle version for $4. Or, if you already have a study Bible, start off by reading the introductions to the books so that you'll have a good overview of what it's all about. Then you can dig in. I echo the sentiments of others here who suggested that you start by reading the book of John.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟213,965.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

HI the Bible is a single book and in it is a historical record of what happened and a prophetic record of things that will come and have already come to pass. In this unfolding of history and prophecy the LORD reveals himself and what is required of us and the things that are truth both temporal and spiritual. Having studied for years I would advise a person to break their study time into two sessions. One in John the gospel and the other I would find a sort of study called through the Bible in 24 hours. This is an overview of the historic timeline and goes from Genesis to REvelation. This will familiarize you with the main history and the high point. There is so much that is integrated that having this foundation will help you know a bit more about the context. I remember reading in Leviticus these laws for the healing of a person with leprosy and it was a lot of verses on being examined washed and reexamined and then they had to do a sacrifice and put blood of the sacrifice on their right ear lobe, thumb and big toe. I thought this was weird and boring at the time I 1st read through it. Year later at a bible study the passage was Jesus healed some with leprosy and he commanded them to go show themselves to the priest and they were told to have this ritual performed on them. The pastor noted that all this law was on the books and not one leper ever came tot he priests. This healing pointed to Jesus as the the one. The blood being put on the ear, thumb and toe is also commended for the ordination of the priests in the law. Leprosy is like sin and we cannot remove it ourselves. Jesus removed it and then we are ordained as priests having been cleansed by Jesus. This kind of discovery is all throughout the Bible and I pray that as you read you do so in a state of prayer. Once you go through the over view then you will want to do a book at a time and read the book through at least 5 times. This way you get a idea of what the main theme is. In Johns gospel he has a thesis statement in Chapter 20 30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name. When you read the whole book the theme of believing is now seen in big bold letters. Reading is a joy and make it your passion and write down your questions as you go and you will never exhaust the riches in this book.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the best way to read the bible?

The best way is to just read it and read it and read it and you've guessed it read it.
Use daily bible reading notes for a personal time with God.
Read whole books to get an over view of that book,
read a book in smaller chunks together with a commentary on that book.
Have a note book and record what you have read.
What struck you in what you read, why it struck you, the relevance to your life and what you prayed about as a result of the reading.
Also find a church where the minister preaches his way through a book and challenge your preacher to do this.

• Useful
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John's reply made me think of another way you may find useful. There are Bibles that are written in chronological order. If you read one of them, it's like reading a story from start to finish, and many have commentary built into the biblical text. Two that I can think of are called The Narrated Bible (hardback) and The Daily Bible (softback). They are edited by F. LaGard Smith and published by Harvest House. Both use the NIV text and I think are quite helpful for both beginners and experienced Bible students.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Samaritan Woman

Sep 2, 2013
Midwest
✟66,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is the best way to read the bible? How can I get started studying the bible?

I highly recommend using a quality study Bible such as this one - NAS Zondervan Study Bible, Bonded leather, Burgundy

Using a study Bible such as the one I suggested will transform scripture from being dry and confusing at times to a living and exciting exercise.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was young.. I use to go this bible study where a man and his wife both grandparents ran.. she prayed 4+ hours a day. She told me at 1st to read John.. something like it was the love book or haha sorry.. I dont remember how say worded it. Why there? No clue.. but.. ask Him.. He WILL give you a peace about it..

For me.. there were verse I could not get past.. they keep like JUMPING out at me.. she told me that was GOD talking to me.. over the years..you find out that was true and SO many other ways God LOVES to talk to you. Ask the sweet sweet Holy Spirit to guide you.. HE WANTS TO! Just believe

Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I like to recommend looking at the book of Acts to see what those people did as a result of an encounter with the Lord. Ask your self why this person did this or that and put your self in the book. What you do as a result of your personal meeting with the Lord is what matters the most. These people all had major changes and were martyred for their testimony.

Upvote 0