Louisville, Kentucky
✟10,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello, gun enthusiasts. I have some experience with guns, but not a lot. I have mostly shot with a .357 Magnum. Is this the best revolver for concealed carry and self-defense? Please share your opinion and some reasons for that opinion. Thank you and God bless you.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Unqualified

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello, gun enthusiasts. I have some experience with guns, but not a lot. I have mostly shot with a .357 Magnum. Is this the best revolver for concealed carry and self-defense? Please share your opinion and some reasons for that opinion. Thank you and God bless you.
unless you can load in it bird shot no

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Licensed concealed carrier here.

Comfort and what you know goes a long way. A .357 would be a good choice for a concealed carry, because of its knockdown power, larger bullet and speed vs the 9mm. However, a revolver is not for everyone. Find a local range that rents out firearms. Go and try out some of them, so that you can see for yourself which fits you the best.

Things to consider:
  • Various caliber firearms have advantages and disadvantages.
    • Weight
    • Size
    • Knockdown Power
    • Magazine Capacity
    • Ammo Price
    • Ammo Availability
Only you can decide what is most important to you.

I have three that I carry.
  • Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380
  • Beretta Nano 9mm
  • North American Firearms .22 Magnum mini revolver
I can carry all three at the same time plus extra mags, which is potentially way more firepower than say a larger high-capacity pistol. All of them are at least 7 round capacity; 20+ rounds at the ready before having to switch mags. Plus it's so much lighter. I use pocket holsters, because they are way more comfortable and I can have my hand in my pocket and at the ready.

Other pistols I no longer own, but used to conceal carry.
  • H&K .40
  • Springfield XD 9mm
I don't like carrying large firearms unless I know I'm going to be in bear country (currently only the southern-most part of my state). I do not own a pistol that can effectively take down a bear, but I'm typically with friends who do carry the larger pistols when traveling in such areas, so I don't need to own one.

One of my friends obsesses over stopping power and carries a full-sized large caliber pistol with him at all times. I prefer comfort, so a single stack mag 9mm is the biggest I'll go, unless later I get an F&N maybe.

If I were open carrying, it would be a different story. I'd carry a much larger firearm on my hip, because I wouldn't have to conceal it under clothing where comfort is a factor. I would also carry a semi-automatic rifle.

For home defense, I would choose something completely different entirely. A shotgun or rifle with close-quarter combat in mind.

It's all according to your preference really.

After you have your firearm(s), practice is of utmost importance. Go to the range regularly, until you are comfortable with the firearm, are hitting your target and have the muscle memory necessary to use the firearm effectively.

If you have access to an outdoor pistol range, practice speed aiming at multiple targets, mixing it up. This will prepare you for a potential situation. Muscle memory and practice goes a long way toward a positive outcome, if you're ever in a situation where you have to draw your firearm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JeffTheAmericanChristian

Oct 2, 2021
Louisville, Kentucky
✟10,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Licensed concealed carrier here.

Comfort and what you know goes a long way. A .357 would be a good choice for a concealed carry, because of its knockdown power, larger bullet and speed vs the 9mm. However, a revolver is not for everyone. Find a local range that rents out firearms. Go and try out some of them, so that you can see for yourself which fits you the best.

Things to consider:
  • Various caliber firearms have advantages and disadvantages.
    • Weight
    • Size
    • Knockdown Power
    • Magazine Capacity
    • Ammo Price
    • Ammo Availability
Only you can decide what is most important to you.

I have three that I carry.
  • Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380
  • Beretta Nano 9mm
  • North American Firearms .22 Magnum mini revolver
I can carry all three at the same time plus extra mags, which is potentially way more firepower than say a larger high-capacity pistol. All of them are at least 7 round capacity; 20+ rounds at the ready before having to switch mags. Plus it's so much lighter. I use pocket holsters, because they are way more comfortable and I can have my hand in my pocket and at the ready.

Other pistols I no longer own, but used to conceal carry.
  • H&K .40
  • Springfield XD 9mm
I don't like carrying large firearms unless I know I'm going to be in bear country (currently only the southern-most part of my state). I do not own a pistol that can effectively take down a bear, but I'm typically with friends who do carry the larger pistols when traveling in such areas, so I don't need to own one.

One of my friends obsesses over stopping power and carries a full-sized large caliber pistol with him at all times. I prefer comfort, so a single stack mag 9mm is the biggest I'll go, unless later I get an F&N maybe.

If I were open carrying, it would be a different story. I'd carry a much larger firearm on my hip, because I wouldn't have to conceal it under clothing where comfort is a factor. I would also carry a semi-automatic rifle.

For home defense, I would choose something completely different entirely. A shotgun or rifle with close-quarter combat in mind.

It's all according to your preference really.

After you have your firearm(s), practice is of utmost importance. Go to the range regularly, until you are comfortable with the firearm, are hitting your target and have the muscle memory necessary to use the firearm effectively.

If you have access to an outdoor pistol range, practice speed aiming at multiple targets, mixing it up. This will prepare you for a potential situation. Muscle memory and practice goes a long way toward a positive outcome, if you're ever in a situation where you have to draw your firearm.
This is very helpful. Thank you so much.

Upvote 0

JeffTheAmericanChristian

Oct 2, 2021
Louisville, Kentucky
✟10,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Nowhere in the bible does it claim that Christians are protected from the acts of wicked men.
Christians do get murdered, and not for religious persecution reasons where you're laying down your life for Christ, but just for the cash in your pocket or the property in your home.

as to the OP's question.. why carry a revolver specifically?
a revolver could work but they do tend to be more bulky to try to conceal.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Sig Sauer P365, and actually the Sig Sauer P320/M17 can also be converted to a compact carry format with a grip module and magazine change.
if you go that route make sure you get a holster actually designed for that model so that it has a snug fit and completely covers the trigger for safety reasons.
Thank you very much. I will look into that.

Upvote 0

Jay Sea

................ Ke ĉiuj vivu
Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are guns really what Christians should be carrying since Yeshua went to his death without defending himself and even forbade his followers s to do so in his defence. How is carrying a gun justified from the teaching of Yeshua. Help me understand as I cannot see it being in the following of the Way.
In LOve
Jay Sea

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
This is very helpful. Thank you so much.

You're welcome. There is no wrong answer, only what you prefer. Some will say knockdown is key to survival in a situation, but consider how many people have died from a .22LR round. I think it's more to do with your ability to think fast and react to a situation than knockdown. It's all subjective really and no two people feel the same about it.

Upvote 0

JeffTheAmericanChristian

Oct 2, 2021
Louisville, Kentucky
✟10,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Are guns really what Christians should be carrying since Yeshua went to his death without defending himself and even forbade his followers s to do so in his defence. How is carrying a gun justified from the teaching of Yeshua. Help me understand as I cannot see it being in the following of the Way.
In LOve
Jay Sea
Christ told His followers to carry a sword. Today it would be a gun.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
In LOve
Jay Sea

One verse comes to mind.

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.​

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In LOve
Jay Sea

If you're actually being martyred for persecution sure.
But if you're just being robbed? Or protecting someone else in your home?

while Jesus was on earth, and He sent the disciples in groups of 2 with nothing, they lacked nothing. But when He was preparing to leave? He told His disciples to sell their cloak to buy a sword.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Was that for self defence or to ward off marauders in a lawl;ess land
In Love
Jay Sea

Basically the same thing. You're told not to save your life from religious persecution but when it's just marauders in a lawless land that'd seek to harm you just to rob you? Jesus doesn't say just let them kill you for your pocket change.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My opinion is that carrying can cause trouble. I have my concealed carry for other reasons. I don’t carry ever unless I’m headed to shoot and or test. I have had my FFL as well as my Federal Heavy Explosives license. I seem to recall hearing more negative outcomes than positive concerning concealed carry. I understand your rights and I’m not trying to infringe on those. I’m simply asking you to pray about it.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a concealed pistol license. I usually don't carry unless I'm going into the city, but it pays to be prepared. As for what kind of revolver you should carry, well, it's just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't carry a revolver, myself. They're made of steel, for one thing, which makes them awfully heavy, and depending on the model, you're only going to have six to eight rounds, and then you're going to have to stand there and plug bullets into the cylinder, or use one of those "speed-loader" apparatuses, which, in my personal experience, aren't too speedy.

Myself, I carry a .40 caliber Glock 23. It's lightweight polymer, small enough to carry easily but has a caliber big enough to stop what you need to stop, and the magazine carries thirteen rounds. If you use those up, all you have to do is press a button, dump the empty mag, slap a fresh one into the receiver, rack the slide, and you're back in business---maybe five seconds flat. I usually carry five magazines: one in the gun and four on my belt. That gives me a total of 65 rounds, and if that's not enough for you to hit what you have to, then you need more range time. :)

Again, these are my preferences. I carried that Glock for years when I was working law enforcement, so I'm familiar and comfortable with that particular weapon, which is not an inconsiderable concern....nobody wants to haul out a gun they don't know how to use. I had a friend who always carried a .375 Magnum, one of those huge chrome-plated elephant guns with a barrel three feet long (I think he wanted to be Dirty Harry), and if that's what he was comfortable with, goody for him, but I wouldn't have carried it. Too much gun for the amount of rate of fire you could get from it in a pinch, IMHO.

Why not carry a Bible? It works infallibly and won't land you in prison.

“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." (Matthew 10:34)

Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.
(Luke 22:35-36, 38)

Rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. (Romans 13:4)

Was that for self defence or to ward off marauders in a lawl;ess land
In Love
Jay Sea

The United States is rapidly turning into a lawless land full of marauders. If case you haven't been keeping up with current events, most large cities in the country last summer were not places to go into if you were unarmed. And once the economy collapses or the People get fed up enough with the current crop of vaudevillians pretending to be our elected representatives and revolt (which may be sooner than anyone expects), it won't be a good time to be unarmed, either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a given situation nerves take over. There is no time for it. The average person will aim and miss in a given situation without training. So on that note if you are going to carry a pistol get one that shoots birdshot. Point and shoot and shoot and shoot. Most encounters are within 5 to 10 feet. You won’t miss

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Admin hat on
your-attention-please.jpg