Best Reformed/Calvinist Study Bible?

LynneClomina

Jan 31, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟17,768.00
Faith
Calvinist
i dont know specifically, but they are putting out revamped editions of all of them so far as i know, what with them not having published ANY for a while (something internal/business @ kirkbride i think). myself, i coulnd wait for a new NKJV so i got a '97 a couple months ago. so far as i know, they will all be 2004's.

i believe street date is june 21.... you can probably pre-order at a bookstore. :clap:

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Looks like I'm reviving an oldie....

I made a discovery recently on this topic....

The NIV Study Bible appears to have some RT/Calvinistic tendencies. Don't believe me just grab a copy and look up the commentary on John 6:37 and 6:44.

Interesting to say the least.....

(The same is also in the NASB Study Bible by Zondervan)

Upvote 0

ztalbott

Presbyterian | PC(USA)
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Tennessee
Visit site
✟15,157.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have several....the NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible (now out of print) is one of the best (though I prefer NRSV or ESV overall). I am excited about the new edition of Ligonier's Reformation Study Bible (ESV) that's coming out this month and including more maps, notes as well as the Westminster standards and the Three Forms of Unity. That's one thing I really like about the NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible....it has the corresponding Confessional standards with reference in the footnotes of the scriptures as well. Another GREAT one I don't hear much about is the Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible (maybe because it's KJV?). It also has the Confessional standards in the back and very reformed notes and commentary. I just ordered the ESV Study Bible, and I'm excited to check it out.... With the likes of Tullian Tchividjian recommending it then it must be grounded in Reformed theology (or at least not anti-Reformed). I'll report back after I've spent some time with it. It seems the MOST Reformed of the modern translations (that's not out of print) would be the Reformation Study Bible, and the new edition coming out this month it promises to be even MORE Reformed. I truly wish the NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible was still in print and also available in ESV or NRSV.

Upvote 0

sal4

Mar 21, 2015
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is my first post here. :) My preferred study Bible remains the MacArthur Study Bible (ESV). I also regularly use the ESV Study Bible.

This week, I received a copy of the newly upgraded 2015 Reformation Study Bible (ESV). A NKJV version of the RSB will be released in late 2015.

The 2015 version RSB has 44% expansion of the commentary notes, redesigned single column text layout, three column study note layout, expanded book introductions, additional maps and study aids, topical articles, new fonts, cross references have been moved to the interior margins, and there is a new section of creeds, confessions, and catechisms.

The expanded content looks excellent from what I have read so far. I am greatly enjoying the notes.

As excited as I am about the new RSB, I do have a few complaints: The pages on the new edition are extremely thin, and bleed-through is more noticeable than any of my other Bibles. And the font size for the cross references is tiny making them difficult to read.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Ryrie and MacArthur's Bibles are Dispensational and I would not recommend them. I have the old NKJV Reformation Bible and find the notes useful. The new edition is probably better than the old one, but I think the Reformation Heritage Bible would be a better deal.

Saying all that...I use the Westminster Reference Bible and use it daily, I just love it!

jm

Upvote 0

ztalbott

Presbyterian | PC(USA)
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Tennessee
Visit site
✟15,157.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I pre-ordered the new Reformation Study Bible a couple months ago in burgundy leather, and mine still hasn't come. I've seen on several threads in different forums that folks are starting to receive theirs, so I hope mine comes soon. I love the ESV Study Bible as well, but it is just so HUGE. The one I use the most (which is unfortunately out of print) is my black "top grain leather" NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible. Like the Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible, the NIV SOTRSB has the confessional standards in the back, but UNLIKE the Reformation Heritage KJV it also references them throughout the notes and annotations... so as you are reading scripture you can look down and go straight to where the same issues/scriptures are addressed by the Westminster standards and/or the Three Forms of Unity. The notes are solidly reformed. I truly wish it would come back into print and maybe also be available in another translation like the NRSV or the ESV (which are only like 6% different from each other).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ztalbott

Presbyterian | PC(USA)
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Tennessee
Visit site
✟15,157.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I noticed the RBS has been shipped over two weeks ago. You can find reviews on YouTube already, all positive.

The Crimson hardcover looks great.

Gord, thanks for reminding me to watch Walking Dead.

Not all of them... The hardcover preorders have mostly shipped. I preordered the Genuine Leather, and they are starting to ship this week.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not all of them... The hardcover preorders have mostly shipped. I preordered the Genuine Leather, and they are starting to ship this week.

I got my black genuine leather two weeks ago. My wife's burgundy leather hasn't arrived yet.

Upvote 0

sal4

Mar 21, 2015
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I pre-ordered the new Reformation Study Bible a couple months ago in burgundy leather, and mine still hasn't come. I've seen on several threads in different forums that folks are starting to receive theirs, so I hope mine comes soon.

I will be interested in your thoughts. I am greatly enjoying the new Reformation Study Bible, though the cross reference font size seems a bit small to my eyes. I got the black leather version. Not sure what kind of leather they used, has a matte look. I like the leather - not too stiff.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BrokenGhost

Gospel Centered
Jun 16, 2006
Maryville, TN
Visit site
✟17,095.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I got my hardcover RSB a while ago. One of the things I'm most jazzed about is the 3 free months of Ligonier connect, so I can finally get a chance to see if its something I want to start putting money into. Haven't really been able to find many reviews of it yet.

Upvote 0