Visit site
✟19,059.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have two suggestions. First, The Reformation Study Bible in NKJ, also known as The New Geneva Study Bible. Also, The Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible in NIV. The SRSB includes the WCF, Larger and Shorter Catechism.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are two places I know of that still carry the Reformation Study Bible (NKJV):
www.goodtheology.com - Got this from Gabe awhile back.... :)
www.ligonier.org - Their store still sells it. Pricy though.

The best place I've seen to get the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible (NIV) is:
www.wtsbooks.com - The bookstore for Westminster Theological Seminary. Great deals on this Bible. I bought mine there. They've also got great prices on copies of the ESV. :)

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good prices. I got the Genuine Leather SOTR Bible at WTS for $45 with shipping. That was an introductory rate and is now a little higher. It was so hard to elieve that I actually emailed their customer service dept. to see if it was correct.

That Bible retails fo $80.

Upvote 0

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Bulldog, check on eBay. There's almost always one on auction there, and you can usually get it cheaper than buying it directly from Ligonier.

I cannot recommend this study Bible highly enough...it is a must have for students of the Reformed faith.

Reactions: Ceris
Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
frumanchu said:
Bulldog, check on eBay. There's almost always one on auction there, and you can usually get it cheaper than buying it directly from Ligonier.

I cannot recommend this study Bible highly enough...it is a must have for students of the Reformed faith.
I looked into ebay. You can usually get them at the same price or cheaper at Good Theology. After all the bidding and sniping is over anyway.

I'll also recommend the Thompson Chain Reference Bible. It's not Reformed per se but it is one of the best Bible study tools I've seen. the TCR comes in KJV, NASB(1977), NIV, and NKJV. I'd recommend the NKJV because all the chains and info has been updated. Why they haven't released updated editions of the others I don't know.

Upvote 0

BronxBriar

Existentialism is a Humanism
May 4, 2004
New York
✟763.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gabriel said:
I have two suggestions. First, The Reformation Study Bible in NKJ, also known as The New Geneva Study Bible. Also, The Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible in NIV. The SRSB includes the WCF, Larger and Shorter Catechism.
Went out today and picked up the the SRSB....now to immerse myself in the WORD! Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
Henry

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Gabriel said:
Have fun. That is a fine choice. I was looking at my buddy's copy tonight. Is it wrong to covet a bible?
Strictly speaking.... yes. ;)

But I know you better than that.. :)

Besides, I thought you didn't care for the NIV... :D :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seawolf_48

Fortus Fortuna Java
Oct 7, 2003
Costa Meas, Ca
✟126.00
Faith
Calvinist
I have the NKJV Reformation bible, and I still prefer the Jamieson Fausset and Brown Whole Bible Commentary. It's reformed, unlike the Ryrie and Thompson bibles. The JF&B hit all the main verses that the Reformed Study Bible goes over, but in much more detail. One small drawback, they were Prederist (sp). But still the best companion for bible study.

The ESV translation is okay, but the NKJV is still the most Calvinistic translation out there, except for it's Grandfather the King James Version. All the translators of the "King" were Reformed Calvinist. Unlike the translations today. NASB was done by Talbit Seminary, NIV by who knows? ESV done by a mixture of Reformed and Disppy's.

I have the wide margin NKJV from Nelson and the JF&B Commentary and have a great time in the morning in private study. I also have a Living Bible (not the new one) as a commentary only, a ESV, NIV, Nestles Greek, Reformation Bible, Strongs Lexicon, and a Bible Dictionary. These allow me to not get up from study looking for information.

Have a Great Covenantal Day

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Holding to Reformed Theology/Calvinism has nothing to do with wether or not someone is Dispensational. (Example: John MacArthur)

A translation does not need to be "Reformed." it needs to translate. Reformed Theology is plain in Scripture.

Upvote 0

LynneClomina

Jan 31, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟17,768.00
Faith
Calvinist
Knight said:
I'll also recommend the Thompson Chain Reference Bible. It's not Reformed per se but it is one of the best Bible study tools I've seen. the TCR comes in KJV, NASB(1977), NIV, and NKJV. I'd recommend the NKJV because all the chains and info has been updated. Why they haven't released updated editions of the others I don't know.
they are releasing new editions of everything in June or July, from what i've heard. (i work in a bible bookstore).

Upvote 0