• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Best meds for OCD?

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I started taking Paxil and it helps, but it made constipated, so I am thinking of stopping it. Anyone taking any other medications? I'm thinking of taking Prozac or Zoloft.

Thanks,

SnowTiger

If you are taking a medicine and it helps you best of not switching for another one. All medications have other effects Prozac and Zoloft do as well.

Things you can take to fight the constipation is eat lots of fibre, and lots of fruits, like prunes, apricot, peaches, kiwi fruit and of course liquorice. There are many other natural remedies that help with constipation. Psyllium husk is also really useful to treat constipation. Metamucil has psyllium in it but doesn't taste so bad.

Honest if your meds are working stick with them if at all possible, it can be a nightmare finding meds that help.

Peace.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Job405

Jesus Christ Matters
Supporter
May 17, 2020
Uusimaa
✟121,390.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am using escitalopram (lexapro) and it helps to keep me calm when I get intrusive thoughts. It's an SSRI like Paxil. Then I also take olanzapine for schizophrenia, it does help with some hallucinations that I experience when I was off it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

speciala

Dec 22, 2020
St. John
✟11,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am using escitalopram (lexapro) and it helps to keep me calm when I get intrusive thoughts. It's an SSRI like Paxil. Then I also take olanzapine for schizophrenia, it does help with some hallucinations that I experience when I was off it.
How much lexapro do you take? mg?

Upvote 0

Dendy

Nov 30, 2014
✟12,037.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm on Paxil. It has helped me a lot. It took about 10 to 14 days to start kicking in and then after that I seemed to get better and better every day for about 5 months. I first noticed it working when I would be sure my hands were clean a lot faster than before when washing them. I have that side effect too but I take something for it. I wouldn't quit taking it. It could change your life.

Upvote 0

speciala

Dec 22, 2020
St. John
✟11,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I haven't read all of your posts, but have you tried cutting out certain foods/sugars in your diet? Have you tried certain probiotic strains? I believe lexapro did help some of my intrusive thoughts. I would know that my thoughts were illogical, but I couldn't get rid of them. Also videos from Mark Dejesus (youtube) on OCD were pretty helpful. It's important to remember that you don't want those thoughts, they aren't yours. You never asked for them, and it's important to acknowledge them and go to the worse case sort of situation of exposure. Only then will these thoughts lose power. I know counselors/cbt therapy helps with this. I've also heard people make great gains from dietary changes.
I know that my family struggles with GABA and therefore klonopin helps when I am experiencing anxiety attacks. Although it is addictive, so I need to keep it just for emergency purposes
These are specific probiotics that have been studied for OCD
but research shows that the probiotics that may help OCD, anxiety and depression include Lactobacillus helveticus, Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Bifidobacterium longum.

Here is an article on msg and glutamate...
Could dietary glutamate be contributing to the symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not Perfect

May 13, 2020
Kirksville
✟16,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Have you tried addressing the side effects? I wouldn't want to quit a drug that helps. It seems like it would be a lot of effort to try another drug that might take awhile to start working and might have other or worse side effects. Psyllium is a fiber supplement that helps a lot with constipation. Likewise, eating more fiber, less dairy, and more probiotics might help.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums