provincial
✟759,871.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello. I'm looking for good insightful edifying Christian books to read. I just got finished reading "The Christian in Complete Armour" by William Gurnall. It's a novella over 400 years old that I ate up last month and found it to be one of the better books I've read on the subject of spiritual warfare. I also read "Desiring God" by John Piper the month before. It was also good. I'm looking for just about any Christian book on just about any Christian subject. Just so long as I can learn something from it, I'm all for it. Let me know about your favorite books. God bless

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟787,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello. I'm looking for good insightful edifying Christian books to read. I just got finished reading "The Christian in Complete Armour" by William Gurnall. It's a novella over 400 years old that I ate up last month and found it to be one of the better books I've read on the subject of spiritual warfare. I also read "Desiring God" by John Piper the month before. It was also good. I'm looking for just about any Christian book on just about any Christian subject. Just so long as I can learn something from it, I'm all for it. Let me know about your favorite books. God bless

Try John Owen, The Mortification of Sin. To me, reading that book is like eating food, every time. Also, The Death of Death, in the Death of Christ

Easier reading, but with deep implications would be the Space Trilogy by CS Lewis: Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength, but anything by CS Lewis is very edifying, and deep, yet relatively easy to read. One of my favorites by him is Till We Have Faces (A fable retold). If you are into Theology, I recommend anything by RC Sproul, John Owen (of course), J.I. Packer, Sinclair Ferguson, Jonathan Edwards, Derek Thomas, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Benjamin Warfield, William S Plumer, Don Kistler, John MacArthur, Kevin DeYoung, BB Warfield, Archibald Alexander, Robert Dabney, Charles Hodge, Louis Berkhof

I would also urge you to watch any debate (YouTube, etc) with Dr James White. Many, many topics.

One great resource, including free reading online and a topical index is — https://reformedbooksonline.com/

EDIT: I wanted to add, most of these authors are strong examples of the fact that the Reformers are as much if not more about dedication, self-discipline, works, love and pursuit of Christ as they are about the mechanics of theology. Particularly, in that, I have to point at John Owen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
GULF BREEZE
✟106,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Any book in the New Testament.

220px-Trollface_non-free.png

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Silence by Shūsaku Endō was particularly powerful to me
The Great Divorce, Till We Have Faces, the Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis all very good
Loved what I have read of Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton

Also this, which turned out to be by Mark Twain and not a satire, particularly inspirational
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Recollections_of_Joan_of_Arc

Twain considered this work to be his best and most important. It was fairly well received in 1893, when first published: One newspaper positively reviewed Twain's work. "We meet a dignified, ennobled, hero-worshipping Mark Twain. His language has undergone a startling change. Not flippancy, but pathos, meets us on every page; the sardonic mocking spirit has been conquered by the fair Maid of Orleans, and where aforetime we met laughter, we now meet tears."

Last edited:
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Mclachlan

Oct 10, 2021
Melbourne
✟23,419.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Knowing God by John Packer is another great book.
My bad. It is James Innes (J.I) Packer, not John.
And alongside Knowing God, I highly recommend reading his introduction to @Mark Quayle's recommendation, The Death of The Death in The Death of Christ.
You can read it online for free. Truly a theological masterpiece, albeit controversial for some.
Packer - Death of Death Introduction

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Watchman Nee, "The Normal Christian Life" and "The Life That Wins". Potential life changers if you let them speak to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

messianist

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
a
✟282,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Watchman Nee, "The Normal Christian Life" and "The Life That Wins". Potential life changers if you let them sp
attributes of god a.w pink

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

The Reign of the Servant Kings

https://www.amazon.com/Reign-Servant-Kings-J-Dillow/dp/1564530965

https://www.amazon.com/Reign-Servant-Kings-Eternal-Security-ebook/dp/B007U79V1U

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,062,417.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟787,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
For fiction, Evanjellyfish or Ride Sally Ride by Doug Wilson are awesome.
Will have to look them up. Never heard of them, to my memory. What genre of fiction? Edit: nevermind. I just googled them. Sounds interesting.

Have heard of Doug Wilson, though.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Will have to look them up. Never heard of them, to my memory. What genre of fiction? Edit: nevermind. I just googled them. Sounds interesting.

Have heard of Doug Wilson, though.
They are fun books that drive home points related to issues we face today.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Bella_lee

Feb 16, 2019
Rome
✟15,625.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @OP hope your day is going well. I have some really good book recommendations that I think you will find edifying and beneficial:
Pathway to purpose by Katie Brazelton
Fervent by Priscilla Shirer
Unglued by Lysa Terkeurst

All the best and definitely keep up the reading. Blessings to you.

Reactions: messianist
Upvote 0