North Dakota
Visit site
✟15,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hey all,

I am trying to make a list of the best Catholic books to read in my life or in the future, and so I am looking for some suggestions! I have some in mind, but I want to know the books that have made the biggest impact on you, or that you thought would be the best.

It is ok if they are Christian (and not specifically Catholic), but Catholic would be the best!

Thanks in advance :)

ShanksForte

Nov 11, 2010
✟7,646.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I like:
The Lambs Supper by Scott Hahn (although it's not so good for people that aren't catholic and have never been to a catholic mass)
Healing by Francis MacNutt O.P.
Any good Book of Saints.
The Imitation of Christ --- great book written in short passages, so you can almost make a devotion of reading a passage a day.
Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI -- an interesting and unique biography of Jesus between the Baptism and the Transfiguration.

Reactions: RosieM
Upvote 0

wildfood

Oct 6, 2010
✟15,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Little Book of Eternal Wisdom by Henry Suso:

Henry Suso said:
Sweet and tender Lord! from the days of my childhood my mind has sought
for something with burning thirst, but what it is I have not as yet
fully understood. Lord, I have pursued it ardently many a year, but I
never could grasp it, for I know not what it is, and yet it is
something that attracts my heart and soul, without which I never can
attain true rest. Lord, I sought it in the first days of my childhood,
as I saw done around me, in creatures, but the more I sought it in them
the less I found it, and the nearer I approached them the further I
receded from it, for every image that presented itself to my sight,
before I wholly tried it, or gave myself up quietly to it, warned me
away thus: "I am not what thou seekest!" And this repulsion I have
experienced more and more in all things. Lord, now my heart rages after
it, for my heart would so gladly possess it. Alas! I have so constantly
had to experience what it is not! But what it is, Lord, I am not as yet
clear. Tell me, beloved Lord, what it is indeed, and what is its
nature, that so secretly agitates me.

Upvote 0

twins15

Jan 17, 2010
North Dakota
Visit site
✟15,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I second the suggestion of Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict. He has such a wonderful writing style. And I would add, Hail, Holy Queen by Scott Hahn.

Can't wait to see what other recommend here!

Those two are definitely on the list! I own them and am pumped to read them!

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
- Story of a Soul
- Divine Mercy in My Soul
- The Way of Divine Love
- True Devotion to Mary
- Secret of the Rosary
- Little Flowers of St Francis
- Padre Pio's Words of Hope
- Interior Castle (by St Teresa of Avila)
- Dark Night of the Soul (by St John of the Cross)
- Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict
- Scott Hahn books
- Imitation of Christ
- Introduction to the Devout Life
- The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ
- Love of Eternal Wisdom by St Louis de Montfort
- All about the Angels (TAN publishers)
- Glories of Mary by St Alphonsus Liguori
- Practice of the Love of Jesus Christ by St Alphonsus Liguori
- Visits to the Blessed Sacrament by St Alphonsus Liguori
- The Life of St Gemma Galgani (by her spiritual director)
- St Philomena: the Wonder-Worker
- Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus by Fr John Croiset
- The Little Catechism of the Cure of Ars
- Consoling the Heart of Jesus by Fr Michael Gaitley
- Life of St Francis of Assisi by St Bonaventure

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mohawk

Be Not Afraid...
Jul 15, 2006
Central New York
✟8,536.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Seven Storey Mountain
Confessions of Saint Augustine
Pope Benedict's "Jesus of Nazareth, 1 & 2...(and soon 3)
Triumph!...(A history of the Catholic Church)
Threshold Of Hope ....Blessed John Paul ll
The Imitation of Christ

The Catechism of the Catholic Church

The Bible

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2011
✟7,779.00
Faith
Catholic
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
A review on Amazon.com says that a beginner in the catholic faith can't understand the book True Devotion to Mary
- True Devotion to Mary
I saw that there with summaries about some classic catholic books (I haven't bought/read it), I suggest that it would be good to buy that first to get an overview of books:
The Classics of Catholic Spirituality: Amazon.co.uk: Peter John Cameron: Books
I have difficulties deciding what book about Theotokos Mary I should buy, anyone want to help me further to decide by suggesting some book and giving an opinion?

(I prefer CPDV and D-R over RSV as a Bible translation, so I don't like the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible Testament). (I often make a lot of use of footnotes, critically of course to avoid such footnotes that have weak faith in some way, such as that often the footnotes reveal that the Bible-translators and commentators have had weak faith regarding when the different books of the Bible have been written and what the importance is of those books of the Bible which are less read in modern times. I think that there are also a lot of errors in footnotes regarding such matters as which Gospel made use of which gospel, is an allusion a quote.) What I want to say by this, is that most books of the Bible are still important. The books of the Bible which I regard lesser value, are: Deuteronomy chapters 1:1-6:4, 6:6-33:29, Historical books (especially Joshua, Judges, 1 Samuel, Tobit), Ecclesiastes (=Qôheleth), Lamentations, Lamentations, Baruch, Hosea, Joel, Nahum, Zephaniah, Matthew 1, Mark 16:7, Mark 16:9-20. The Acts, Galatians, 2 Thessalonians, 1-2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, 2-3 Epistle of John, The Revelation. Particulary harmful are: Deuteronomy, 1 Samuel, Ezekiel, Hosea, Joel, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Gospel of Mark, The Acts, Galatians, 1-2 Timothy, The Revelation. Particulary unprecise are: Judges, Baruch.
EDIT November 27 2011: I do read much of Gospel of Luke nowadays since a month, but not all the time, I often take a break of say several weeks not reading Gospel of Luke. I read Papyrus Egerton which is Marcion abreviation of the Gospel of Luke) The Use and Abuse of P52: Papyrological Pitfalls in the Dating of the Fourth Gospel" by Brent Nongbri

Regarding Bible translations, I use NABRE and JB and to a minor extent NJPS for the Old Testament.
NABRE for Job. NKJV and to less extent NABRE for Job 31:10b-38:12
REB for the Deuterocanon and 2 Esdras.
REB for the epistles of the New Testament, The New Testament Epistles: Early Christian Wisdom, Partially Abridged from the Text of the Revised English Bible Classic Bible Series: Amazon.co.uk: John Drane: Books. I've read many opinions in several forums and bloggs, that the REB is especially good for the NT epistles. CPDV for Ep 2:10 and 1 Jn 2:2.
Mainly CPDV, but also NJB and NABRE (=RNAB) and some more translations among which I try to make use of The Original and True Rheims New Testament of Anno Domini 1582 by Dr. William von Peters in Religion & Spirituality for words such as chalice and priest for Gospel of Matthew.
Jerusalem Bible and TEV 3rd edition '71 and most of the other Bibles I have, for Gospel of John.
Updated.org and REB and Confraternity Version and 1992 TEV for 1 Corinthians.
REB, JB, TEV 4th edition '76, TEV 3rd edition '71, 1970 NEB second edition, 1986 RNAB, J. B. Phillips revised edition, LB and RSV-CE for 2 Corinthians.
But mainly JB for the New Testament, for example for the rest of Mt, almost all of Lk, verses 1:1-2, 2:6-14, 3:2a, 6b-11, 4:2a, 6:1b, 6b, 12b, 17, 18b-19a, 19c-20a, 7:8-11, 9:14-16, 25-28, 10:9, 14-16 in Hebrews
2007 TNIV Revised edition for Jude http://www.amazon.com/Story-Zonderv...r_1_19?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325378694&sr=1-19

Regarding the Pauline corpus (especially regarding Romans and Eph), see:
Different theology: if you build a theology on (one way of reading) Romans and Galatians you have trouble fitting Colossians and Ephesians into that. But if you start with Colossians and Ephesians then that problem vanishes. This suggests the problem is in the way Romans and Galatians have been read, not inconstancies between the epistles.

I don't read anything issued by Scott Hahn, he is vague on the topic of Purgatory by not saying that it's only in afterlife:
http://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j...Su-IE6&usg=AFQjCNGatVSzoeTrTkXfwQNl6gBmkLy5Tg

Previously edited by Unix; 16th November 2011 at 10:54 AM local time. Reason: delete a book that I don't recommend, and remove 2 Corinthians from the books of the Bible that are of less value
Previously edited by Unix; 27th November 2011 at 04:35 PM local time. Reason: Add link about Scott Hahn &quote ab. Eph, remove Amos, Deut 34 &6:5, Philip, Col, from list of "books" that are of less value
Previously edited by Unix; 1st January 2012 at 10:41 AM local time. Reason: adjustments to which Bible versions I use
Previously edited by Unix; 8th January 2012 at 09:57 AM local time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
To continue on this today (sorry dp but I want people to see that I don't change my opinions back and forth so sometimes I don't want to edit the p).
There is a post from me in a similar thread, with similar content as this but briefer, check it out:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7396662-post58361047/#post58361047

I might have found something I was looking for, here:
http://www.amazon.com/Catholic-Vers...r_1_18?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314180879&sr=1-18
But look on 1 review-opinion February 8. 2011 from "Seekin Truth":
**___ Incomplete work
<<I'm going to summarize that he does not know Greek at all from the errors he makes in determining that Mary is full of grace>>
http://www.amazon.com/Catholic-Vers...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

So I am still aking anything to order home from Amazon on Theotokos Mary, just in case someone has the patience to read this request and link something to me! Send a PM or a post regarding Mary, thanks, I would appreciate, I'm totally lost here!

On Updated.org there will be soon about this: I don't read Luke chapters 1-2 anymore. I got beforehand information from the translator. He used as source: Joseph P. Tyson, Marcion and Luke-Acts (Columbia, University of South Caroline Press, 2006), p. 119

Last edited:
Upvote 0