Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Had the House debated/passed, The Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 (S.744 ) that the Senate passed 68-34 in 2013, then a significant portion of the current crisis could have been averted. but alas... it was an unimportant issue to the GOP leadership in the House at the time.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread title is quite misleading.

Yes, I read the article and nowhere does it say that he's calling for concentration camps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sanders said the United States should build “proper facilities” in states along the U.S.-Mexico border to house them.

Which frankly, makes a lot more sense than dumping hundreds of processed asylum seekers into our border cities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Sanders said the United States should build “proper facilities” in states along the U.S.-Mexico border to house them.

Witch frankly, makes a lot more sense than dumping hundreds of processed asylum seekers into our border cities.
What kind of nincompoop would do that?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with Sanders.

The open issues are the acceptable reasons for asylum and how many the US in willing to accept. That is an issue for Congress.

What is hidden in the Sanders proposal is that the result would be many, many more asylum seekers became citizens. If the processing system was much humane and efficient, millions would come each year. It is not at all clear the voters want this.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Bernie Sanders Says U.S. Should Build Migrant Facilities 'Right On The Border'
The 2020 presidential candidate also said at a Fox News town hall that the U.S. should hire "hundreds of new judges" to deal with a backlog of immigration cases.
By Sanjana Karanth

Bernie Sanders Says U.S. Should Build Migrant Facilities 'Right On The Border'
The title is inaccurate, to say it nicely. To say it is disingenuous is also saying it nicely.

You really should edit that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Sanders.

The open issues are the acceptable reasons for asylum and how many the US in willing to accept. That is an issue for Congress.

What is hidden in the Sanders proposal is that the result would be many, many more asylum seekers became citizens. If the processing system was much humane and efficient, millions would come each year. It is not at all clear the voters want this.

Nor is it clear that voters want to throw legitimate applicants for asylum to the wolves.

In the end, I anticipate the US will need to find a way to humanely return thousands of Central Americans to their home countries and in parallel, work to mitigate the forces that caused them to flee in the first place.
HOWEVER, given the utter lack of morality in immigration/refugee related decisions by this Administration to date, I have no confidence in our government to act humanely.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am ready to accept 10-20 million more immigrant citizens (the undocumented, DACA folk, more refugees, more asylum seekers, and in addition those that we need to fill jobs in construction, agriculture, tech and hospitality. And yes, I am willing to double our aid to Central American countries.
I would also reduce almost all other immigration to zero for 5 years (accepting only spouses and minor children).

Somehow, I don't think that this would a popular political position for the 2020 campaign.

Nor is it clear that voters want to throw legitimate applicants for asylum to the wolves.

In the end, I anticipate the US will need to find a way to humanely return thousands of Central Americans to their home countries and in parallel, work to mitigate the forces that caused them to flee in the first place.
HOWEVER, given the utter lack of morality in immigration/refugee related decisions by this Administration to date, I have no confidence in our government to act humanely.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Somehow, I don't think that this would a popular political position for the 2020 campaign.

The funny thing about democracy is that, quite often, the people voting are amazingly not qualified to make informed decisions about this stuff. I'm not saying other solutions are necessarily better, but people go with their intuition and it's often bad intuition.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
INTERNATIONAL ASYLUM LAW

We are told that we are forced to accept millions of asylum seekers under international law. Are other countries doing so? I doubt it. Otherwise, these central Americans might be entering Costa Rica, Mexico or South American countries. Somehow I believe that there are millions of asylum seekers not being accepted throughout the world.

And just BTW, this is the #2 problem in the world today (after dealing with climate change). BTW, the situation is Syria happened primarily as a result of the worst drought in centuries. The world will need to deal with tens of millions (or more) of climate refugees.
====
BOTTOM LINE
It is time for Congress to act on asylum law. This should NOT wait until we have consensus on a global law on immigration reform. That could take decades. Laws can indeed be incremental, dealing with only a few issues at a time.. For example, we need a law dealing with DACA folks.

Upvote 0