Vermont
✟324,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unless you have researched your questions and gotten answers you are just quoting someone else's opinion. I bet you don't have a factual answer to what they do with their money on any of them. All is here say and you accept it as truth. Judge not lest you be judged. I believe all is in Gods plan whether it be for their good is his to own.

Are we not to judge? Hebrews 5:14, John 7:24, Acts 17:10-11, 1 John 4:1, Philippians 1:9-10 … discernment

1 Cor. 5:12 "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside."

The issue of his monied "ministry" is just one part of his false teachings. If one does any research they will find that myriad statements and such are antithetical to scripture...why would a follower of Christ condone such?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't repentance mean to also make effort to correct what you have done wrong? Pay back what you have taken etc.
You are talking about restitution and probably restoration. Ideally repentance would lead to that, but repentance starts with godly sorrow that leads to a total change in behavior. But what if someone in this situation had lost all their money and therefore couldn't give it back? Would that mean God's forgiveness was unavailable to them? No. Now, it takes time to see if repentance is legitimate, that's where we are here.

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes,we can all grow and change - even Benny Hinn. But this doesn't mean he wasn't ever false. Benny Hinn has been pretty much the most egregiously-false Prosperity Gospel preacher out there. He has greatly deserved the criticism and condemnation his terrible conduct and preaching has garnered. Will his change involve restitution, do you think? I very much doubt it. He won't be returning to anyone the money he has managed to fleece off of them. As I watched the video clip where he shares his change of perspective, I couldn't help noticing how much of a show he was making of having doing so, how eager he was to surprise and stun his audience with his shift of view. I suspect Benny has not undergone any significant transformation of mind and heart. He is well-hardened, I think, into his charlatan ways.

This all depends on how we define a false teacher. As I've said before the biblical standard is quite high. Malicious, willful deceit. Perhaps that's the case, but if so this is a strange move because it backs him in a corner. Would you say the people who follow him are false or deceived? Hopefully deceived. Then whose to say Benny wasn't also deceived himself? (I know many here have long been convinced that he did it willingly, but no one could truly know for sure). This is where time will tell... AND why this is a really good thing. Once you go down this path you throw away the "I was deceived card" so if you continue to do what is right, great. If you go back or do a different version of the same, you have no excuses, you aren't deceived.

As to the show he put on. The guy is a preacher so cut him some slack. When you're a preacher you can't NOT do that, lol, it just comes naturally.

Upvote 0

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
False teachers lead the flock astray from the TRUTH with their false teachings. False teachers are described as savage not because they are vicious , it is because they prey upon the sheep like wolves. The Bible states that the false teachers distort the truth and draw away disciples after them, so they gain followers.
Paul cautions the Overseers to watch over the entire flock so no wolves slip in and lead the sheep astray.
Acts 20:29
"28 Keep watch over yourselves and the entire flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which He purchased with His own blood. 29I know that after my departure, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. 30Even from your own number, men will rise up and distort the truth to draw away disciples after them.…"

• Agree
Reactions: ajcarey
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can you please share the Bible verses that you have based this on?
It comes from the Greek word for false prophets: Pseudoprophetes, which in a nut-shell means someone is "acting" (ie knowingly and willfully) as a being divinely inspired while uttering falsehoods. Additionally every reference to it always carries maliciousness in the same sentence. For example in the case of Matt 7:15 "inwardly they are ravenous wolves". The Hebrew word and context follow the same pattern.

Additionally there are many biblical examples of true prophets making mistakes, being mislead or being immature. Jonah is a good example. David. It even happened to Elijah for a season. That didn't make them false, just human. To understand false you have to look at it in context of the true. Even God's greatest prophets made mistakes.

False just gets thrown around too much these days. Last week I was accused of being a false prophet... twice! One was just a stranger walking by our church while we were outside painting. He started asking us odd doctrinal and trivia questions, we gave some quick high level answers and then said, "we are busy right now, don't have time to get into a deeper debate" I guess that made us false prophets. The other was equally as silly.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It comes from the Greek word for false prophets: Pseudoprophetes, which in a nut-shell means someone is "acting" (ie knowingly and willfully) as a being divinely inspired while uttering falsehoods. Additionally every reference to it always carries maliciousness in the same sentence. For example in the case of Matt 7:15 "inwardly they are ravenous wolves". The Hebrew word and context follow the same pattern.
Read the next verse though which tells us how to judge false prophets, which is by their fruit. I think you are concentrating on the wrong part of the verse.

Matthew 7:15-16
““Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles?”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:15-16‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
Matthew 7:15-16 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? | New King James Version (NKJV) | Download The Bible App Now

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The ravening wolf merely wants a meal to fill its belly. When one's hunger for anything earthly gets factored into their ministry, then they are a malicious wolf by Biblical standards. Anyone who is unfaithful with the Scriptures to fill their belly or better fill their belly is a false teacher (those like Hinn have big bellies because of how fat they have got in terms of this world through their deceit); anyone who will lead those who actually heed them away from the strait and narrow way of Truth that leads to life is a false teacher. This is sure not everyone in ministry, but sadly it describes most- especially those with big ministries that are well known- because if they had faithfully preached the Scriptures, they simply would not have got big, at least not for long.

Philippians 3:17-20: "17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. 18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: 19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.) 20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ"

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Read the next verse though which tells us how to judge false prophets, which is by their fruit. I think you are concentrating on the wrong part of the verse.

Matthew 7:15-16
““Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles?”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:15-16‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
Matthew 7:15-16 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? | New King James Version (NKJV) | Download The Bible App Now
None of that changes what I said. I actually preached on this exact scripture 2 weeks ago. I studied inside and out.

I'm focused on the false prophet part, because that is what was asked of me.

Lots of things lead people astray, not just false prophets. Plenty of stuff here on these boards lead people astray, that doesn't mean there are false prophets everywhere. I believe most are sincere in their beliefs even if they are mistaken... myself included.

Listen, I believe if people looked at fruit... true fruit. Many of these things could be avoided. But many seem to not even understand what true fruit is. And with someone in the public eye it can be difficult to tell because you see what they want you to see, you don't often see the areas of their lives that actually demonstrate true fruit (both good or bad). This is one reason why I said in a different conversation that spiritual leadership must be born out of relationship... relationship will illuminate fruit.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
None of that changes what I said. I actually preached on this exact scripture 2 weeks ago. I studied inside and out.

I'm focused on the false prophet part, because that is what was asked of me.

Lots of things lead people astray, not just false prophets. Plenty of stuff here on these boards lead people astray, that doesn't mean there are false prophets everywhere. I believe most are sincere in their beliefs even if they are mistaken... myself included.

Listen, I believe if people looked at fruit... true fruit. Many of these things could be avoided. But many seem to not even understand what true fruit is. And with someone in the public eye it can be difficult to tell because you see what they want you to see, you don't often see the areas of their lives that actually demonstrate true fruit (both good or bad). This is one reason why I said in a different conversation that spiritual leadership must be born out of relationship... relationship will illuminate fruit.
I was just sharing what I noticed when I looked up the scripture.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This all depends on how we define a false teacher. As I've said before the biblical standard is quite high. Malicious, willful deceit. Perhaps that's the case, but if so this is a strange move because it backs him in a corner.

"Strange" is Benny's stock-in-trade; it's his schtick. And being inconsistent about doctrine is certainly nothing new to Benny. Doctrinal "corners" don't seem to phase him at all. I don't, then, see his "change of view" particularly remarkable or effectively undoing all of the decades-long false teaching he has purveyed (and merchandised). Certainly, his swearing off of financial manipulation in his preaching doesn't clear him of the well-earned charge of being a false teacher.

Would you say the people who follow him are false or deceived? Hopefully deceived.

Some of both, I think. Some of those I know who hold to Benny's Prosperity Gospel views are just as mercenary about their faith (and just as ready to manipulate others for power and profit) as he is. "Birds of a feather" and all that. Others who follow him are merely ignorant, and foolish, and deceived.

Then whose to say Benny wasn't also deceived himself?

Well, whose to say he wasn't completely clear on the deceptive and destructive nature of the false teachings he promoted? He doesn't strike me as the unwitting sort, innocently taking up, promoting and profiting from the false teachings he's so long espoused.

This is where time will tell... AND why this is a really good thing. Once you go down this path you throw away the "I was deceived card" so if you continue to do what is right, great. If you go back or do a different version of the same, you have no excuses, you aren't deceived.

I have no good basis upon which to think Benny was merely deceived for all of these years. I doubt very much that Benny has had a genuine - or significant - change of heart. He has spent a very long time hardening himself into the corrupt life he has led.
It will take more than the clip you've offered to convince me he isn't still a total fraud, making merchandise of the people of God.

As to the show he put on. The guy is a preacher so cut him some slack. When you're a preacher you can't NOT do that, lol, it just comes naturally.

I disagree. I know many preachers - very good ones - who never "put on a show," but act such that the Person of Christ, not themselves, may be seen while they preach. They are confident, highly biblical in their sermon content, and passionate, but also humble, rarely self-referential, and constantly pointing to and lifting up Jesus. Benny Hinn is nothing like these godly preachers I know. I've never seen a more oily, self-serving, sensually-focused "preacher" in all my life. And as far as I can tell, he remains unchanged in these respects.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,581.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Better late than never.

This right here is why we must be so careful to label people "false" or anything like that, people in the public eye can grow and change just like the rest of us.

I have seen videos of Benny saying if I claim something from an angel rebuke me, and then later him claiming a message from an angel. He has supported the little gods heresy, and so is 100% a false prophet.

How he appeals for money is not true repentance of blasphemy and being an enemy of Christ.

I have no clue how such a charlaten can say anything, but there must be some advantage he sees in taking this line. In a month or so he will find something else to get attention over.

Bad trees are bad trees until they die.

Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. I know many preachers - very good ones - who never "put on a show," but act such that the Person of Christ, not them, may be seen while they preach. They are confident, highly biblical in their sermon content, and passionate, but also humble, rarely self-referential, and constantly pointing to and lifting up Jesus.
You're missing the point. Whatever your style of preaching is, it is hard to get away from that when you are standing in front of people talking. I catch myself doing it all the time. Whether you like the style or not is irrelevant to what I was saying.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think we've gone around and around this plenty, it seems the relevant points have been made several times over now.

For the record. I hope and pray this is a legitimate change. I will hold a healthy skepticism and expect actions that line up with the words going forward. But, I won't condemn anyone for saying the right thing, no matter how long it took.

If others are confident enough to immediately proclaim that the whole thing is a shame and a ploy, fine, but be sure to measure yourself by the same standards, even on your worst days.

False/not false time will tell. In the mean time my focus will be on helping the people in front of me here and now, not on what someone I don't know did in the past.

Upvote 0

Cheryl6397

Mar 9, 2018
Birmingham
✟33,306.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,402.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There is a difference between wrong teaching and false teaching.
I disagree. If I repeat the wrong teaching and do not listen to other points of view, then I'm a false teacher.

Reactions: Cheryl6397
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. If I repeat the wrong teaching and do not listen to other points of view, then I'm a false teacher.
That's ok, you can be wrong.
(see what I did there?)

Seriously though, you just described a large number of people here on these forums.

Upvote 0