Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sheesh, sometimes reading helps. I actually said I didn't support him. But I do support people turning away from bad practices. That's just a little something I picked up from Jesus. But you go on making the world a better place by exposing people on the internet.

You are supporting him by endorsing this clip as repentance. When it comes to picking up things from Jesus, one thing Jesus did (and still does- Hebrews 13:8) was only accept people's repentance when it involved appropriate restitution, appropriate contrition, and proper/Biblical labelling of their sin. Imagine if Jesus had told Zaccheus that salvation had come to his house while he proudly rebuked defrauding while not making restitution nor being broken over his own defrauding. Hinn is only saving face in this clip, not losing face like Zaccheus and like all who truly repent for the glory of God unto salvation.
A bit of a fools errand to try to convince people to look at big time ministries inc in a fair and just manner. Done it for years and have never been successful. Not because I agreed with the big time ministers on issues. My main reason for doing so has always been. The judgement you judge with is the way you will be judged. I care about Christians. I hate for them to face the judgement that they judged others with come down on them. It’s like when they call some one a false teacher or prophet because they are teaching something false. But somehow miss the fact that they themselves are filled with false teaching. Which God’s grace will overlook in judge you as a true believer who erred as we all do. Unless you can’t see past your own hard heart and cannot extend that same judgement to your brother.

Why is it assumed that all who label others as false teachers haven't seen past and condemned their own heart? Isn't such an assumption awfully judgmental? No one is in fact in a better position to judge others than those who have already appropriately judged themselves. Otherwise anything can pass for Christianity, the strait and narrow becomes wide and broad, and this is all just one big party of letting each other off the hook for each other's sins in a presumptive confidence that God will do the same for us though we don't judge ourselves and repent in accordance with God's Law.

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Until he gives away his extreme wealth and lives for the Lord in a more minimal way, and he will not take another cent from anyone anymore, I don't buy his repentance. I don't have to watch the video because there is no report of a changed life yet. I just know until his actions line up with what he says, it does not mean anything. Remember, the woman who kept kissing Christ's feet? She showed her love for Christ because she was forgiven much. When a person has truly repented (sought forgiveness with the Lord) and they are truly forgiven, they are broken and you can tell. They are forever changed. A new person. They have no major traces of the old person (or the old man). They are a new creation in Christ.

We are told to actually not chase after riches, but we are told to instead chase after righteousness.

9 "But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness" (1 Timothy 6:9-11).

Reactions: ajcarey
Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Again, reading is helpful. I endorced healthy skepticism and said repentance requires action not only words. Try again.

Then why aren't you requiring action from Hinn? I mean, action of Biblical repentance according to 2 Corinthians 7:9-11?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I highly doubt men like Joel Olsteen, and Benny Hinn will actually preach what 1 Timothy 6:9-11 in what it plainly says. They cannot because such a passage would destroy their "wealth making" ministries. If Benny Hinn, was truly repenting, he would make the changes immediately. So far he has not done this. He is still holding on to his massive fortune, and great possessions and raking in the money still.

• Agree
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then why aren't you requiring action from Hinn? I mean, action of Biblical repentance according to 2 Corinthians 7:9-11?
I am. I do. I will, without a doubt. This post was mostly just to inform people since I hadn't seen it posted yet. But I'm rooting for true repentance not against a man... Always will.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This reminds me of a parable by Jesus.

28 "But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard.
29 He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went.
30 And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not.
31 Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first."
(Matthew 21:28-31).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Benny Hinn would have to verbally say that he is giving up his extreme wealth and not take anymore money from anyone anymore as a part of his repentance. My guess is that he has not said such a thing in the video. If he did, I would be shocked that he would actually make good on his word by doing so. It was hard for the rich young ruler to give up what he had and as a result he walked away sad.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am. I do. I will, without a doubt. This post was mostly just to inform people since I hadn't seen it posted yet. But I'm rooting for true repentance not against a man... Always will.

While I hope true repentance comes for him some day, it seems highly unlikely in his situation. So far, he has not given us any reason to cheer him on. He has not changed. His own words show that he is not changing.
There is a difference between a godly sorrow and a worldly sorrow.
Peter had a godly sorrow over denying the Lord.
Judas had a worldly sorrow over betraying the Lord.
The actions by Judas showed that his feeling sorry for what he did led to his own suicide.

• Informative
Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I'm rooting for true repentance too. The two previous posts by Bible Highlighter explain why I can't cheer yet.

Edit: Hadn't seen Bible Highlighter's 3rd post when I wrote the above. I define rooting for and cheering over as two potentially very different things.

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I highly doubt men like Joel Olsteen, and Benny Hinn will actually preach what 1 Timothy 6:9-11 in what it plainly says. They cannot because such a passage would destroy their "wealth making" ministries. If Benny Hinn, was truly repenting, he would make the changes immediately. So far he has not done this. He is still holding on to his massive fortune, and great possessions and raking in the money still.
Unless you've watched them you really shouldn't judge them. I would have to disagree with you on Olsteen. He has a gathering for good reason, he is a Godly man. i disagree with his message that promises riches and blessings for everyone but I can still see God in him. I think one of the tell tell signs is how they live as to whether they are Godly. If they are as many say about them God has allowed them to have riches beyond the average person and he will judge them for what they have done to get the riches and what they do with them.
I wonder the resentment from those people when God rewards those that are good shepherds?
Why shouldn't the good ones be rewarded for showing Gods love to the world?

;

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm rooting for true repentance too. The two previous posts by Bible Highlighter explain why I can't cheer yet.

Edit: Hadn't seen Bible Highlighter's 3rd post when I wrote the above. I define rooting for and cheering over as two potentially very different things.

I changed it to "cheer him on" so as to be consistent with what was said in the posts.

Side Note:

You don't have to explain it if you don't want, but I am curious as to your opinion why you think they are different.

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I changed it to "cheer him on" so as to be consistent with what was said in the posts.

Side Note:

You don't have to explain it if you don't want, but I am curious as to your opinion why you think they are different.

No problem: It would be great for anyone to repent, and we should root for that in that we should earnestly want it to happen; but to cheer for that as though it is happening or may be happening when the only evidence is that it's not happening (and in Hinn's case is being deliberately faked which only makes it seem close to impossible to ever happen) would be at best naïve.

But I can see how rooting and cheering could mean the same thing- I was thinking of cheering in the sense of happiness because who you are rooting is actually succeeding in attaining that which you were rooting for them to obtain.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Unless you've watched them you really shouldn't judge them. I would have to disagree with you on Olsteen. He has a gathering for good reason, he is a Godly man. i disagree with his message that promises riches and blessings for everyone but I can still see God in him. I think one of the tell tell signs is how they live as to whether they are Godly. If they are as many say about them God has allowed them to have riches beyond the average person and he will judge them for what they have done to get the riches and what they do with them.

There is no report in the news that Hinn declared that he is giving up his extreme wealth and he is not taking any more money from people anymore. For this reason, I know that he has not changed.

When I read this article here, I was not surprised.

No, Benny Hinn Has Not Repented

Olsteen is a properity gospel preacher. That is what his book "Your best life now" is all about.

Joel Osteen’s Your Best Life Now — A Critical Review

As for being rich and a Christian:
Well, that is an oxymoron. Jesus said put your treasures in Heaven and not here upon the Earth. Also, we are told to chase after righteousness and not riches in 1 Timothy 6.
For they that are rich pierce themselves through with many sorrows.
For the love of money is the root of all evil.
How do you show your love for something?
If somebody likes Elvis Presley, they put idols of Elvis all over their house.
If somebody loves the Avengers comics and movies, they will wear the T-shirts, put up the posters in their home, talk about the movies a lot, etc.
If somebody loves money, they amass great amounts of it because they like to hold on to lots of money. For what reason? What is the purpose of having all that wealth?
What are they using it for? Why do they need a huge mansion and crazy expensive possessions?

Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No problem: It would be great for anyone to repent, and we should root for that in that we should earnestly want it to happen; but to cheer for that as though it is happening or may be happening when the only evidence is that it's not happening (and in Hinn's case is being deliberately faked which only makes it seem close to impossible to ever happen) would be at best naïve.

But I can see how rooting and cheering could mean the same thing- I was thinking of cheering in the sense of happiness because who you are rooting is actually succeeding in attaining that which you were rooting for them to obtain.

Ah, I gotcha now.
Thanks for explaining, brother.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Benny Hinn would have to verbally say that he is giving up his extreme wealth and not take anymore money from anyone anymore as a part of his repentance. My guess is that he has not said such a thing in the video. If he did, I would be shocked that he would actually make good on his word by doing so. It was hard for the rich young ruler to give up what he had and as a result he walked away sad.
We can hope and actively pray for this end. Huge, public, life-changing rennovations to one's entire life often take time, especially when such a process of admission, repentance, back pedaling, renunciation, retraction, and material loss would be very public and probably very embarrassing or humbling for someone as closely scrutinized and well-known as Benny Hinn.

We can pray that Benny Hinn can take many more steps away from WOF and prosperity theology, and towards something sounder, truer, and less destructive. And better for him, too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Unless you have researched your questions and gotten answers you are just quoting someone else's opinion. I bet you don't have a factual answer to what they do with their money on any of them. All is here say and you accept it as truth. Judge not lest you be judged. I believe all is in Gods plan whether it be for their good is his to own.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Again, nothing on the news was ever said of Benny declaring that he is giving up his wealth, and he is not taking any more money from people in his ministry. So this means he has not truly repented. That would be like a cocaine addict who says he is no longer for pushing cocaine anymore, and yet he still sells it. Granted, I really do hope Benny truly repents someday. But so far this has not happened. He is using a clever tactic so as to squeeze more money out of people to make himself richer at their expense.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Benny Hinn's mansion over looks the Pacific Ocean, built and paid for by his ministry. According to building record, it has 7 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms, and more than 7 thousand square meters of living space. The ministry told that his mansion was a good investment. Accordingly, it worth about 10 million dollars. And when Hinn goes to crusade around the world, he travels in his private jet. According to documents, the ministry pays more than a hundred and twelve thousand dollars a month to use the plane. And close to the home, Pastor Benny still travels in style. A photo obtained by DATELINE shows him getting out with his Mercedes SUV, and another photo shows him driving his Mercedes Convertible, both cars retail for about 80 thousand dollars.

A former Hinn insider says;

There was never one complete record that will suit the criteria for documented miracle healing… and that troubled me deeply. To me, this was fraud and deception being put across the people that are donors.

Source:
NBC News’ DATELINE Sunday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ridiculous amounts of money is also spent on his hotels, travels, and shopping. Thousands upon thousands. He lives the good life beyond reason.

So yeah, I am not buying this so called fake repentance.
He is not surprising me.
Again, I pray he will truly repent, but in cases like this it is very rare.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Petunia

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 9, 2004
✟211,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married