Benfords Law and Corona-19 Deaths.

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Benfords law has been used for years to weed out false number especially in the accounting world. It's a pretty good method to tell if the books have been cooked.

Here are some videos that explain it if you haven't studied the law.

So I applied it to covid deaths in the USA. I used the numbers from Worldometer...from 9-21-20. I stopped at Vermont.

The curve didn't come close.

I counted 15 1's....7 2's....7 3's...8 4's....5 5's....4 6's....0 7's...3 8's and 2 9's

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Benfords law has been used for years to weed out false number especially in the accounting world. It's a pretty good method to tell if the books have been cooked.

So I applied it to covid deaths in the USA. I used the numbers from Worldometer...from 9-21-20. I stopped at Vermont.

I counted 15 1's....7 2's....7 3's...8 4's....5 5's....4 6's....0 7's...3 8's and 2 9's
Maybe you can translate that for those of us who don't care to take the time (nor have the data limit) to watch the videos.

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

"We find Chinese confirmed infections match the distribution expected in Benford's Law and are similar to that seen in the U.S. and Italy and thus find no evidence of manipulation," said the abstract of the paper, which is currently under review by the Social Science Research Network (SSRN).

China's COVID-19 data matches Benford's Law like U.S. and Italy: Researchers

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In other words, Both China and the US are lying with their numbers?

Perhaps "We find Chinese confirmed infections match the distribution expected in Benford's Law and are similar to that seen in the U.S. and Italy and thus find no evidence of manipulation" leads you to believe it is a statement about China and US lying... I simply looked it up and found multiple sites suggesting the numbers are inline with the Benford law.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"We find Chinese confirmed infections match the distribution expected in Benford's Law and are similar to that seen in the U.S. and Italy and thus find no evidence of manipulation," said the abstract of the paper, which is currently under review by the Social Science Research Network (SSRN).

China's COVID-19 data matches Benford's Law like U.S. and Italy: Researchers

Well, using Worldometers numbers on the day I plotted it...they didn't.

I can't speak for China as worldometer didn't break them down like it did with the USA states.

Upvote 0