Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ben Sira 9:7 Do not look around the streets of the city or wander through its squares.

For catholics and people that consider Ben Sira valid.
Do you include looking at the people passing by your house on foot and in cars when you're on the front porch as "look around the streets". In a way I am looking at strangers doing their business as I would in the street and sometimes I feel a little awkward if I stare too much. I don't want to invite problems into my life. Sometimes I have to pretend I'm not seeing someone bc they could take offense. On the other side I'm in my home. But looking around the streets from my house may not be a good thing.

What's your take on it. Probably you would be comfortable because you're in your home.

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟169,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
We shouldn't take that verse so literally (or, rather, on its own). It's practically impossible to not look around the streets of a city while you're going through it. Remember that the first 9 verses of the chapter are dedicated to Advice Concerning Women. Since it appears to be a warning about adultery and offers advice on ways to avoid committing the sin, we might understand verse 7 to be referring to searching for a prostitute or something similar, and warning one not to do so.

• Informative
Reactions: Lord'sWarrior
Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We shouldn't take that verse so literally (or, rather, on its own). It's practically impossible to not look around the streets of a city while you're going through it. Remember that the first 9 verses of the chapter are dedicated to Advice Concerning Women. Since it appears to be a warning about adultery and offers advice on ways to avoid committing the sin, we might understand verse 7 to be referring to searching for a prostitute or something similar, and warning one not to do so.
Thank you very much. That was helpful.

Upvote 0