pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
no, I mean those who believe that the earth is only 6000 years old, there was really a dude named Adam, Noah built an ark, the Israelites marched around Jericho and blew horns and it fell down, Rebekkah rode on a camel to go to Isaac, Jesus rode on a donkey and or a donkey and a donkey foal, Herod killed all the infant boys, etc....

Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It is my understanding that fundamentalist evangelical groups of Christians believe the Bible literally. I am not really sure what groups that encompasses for sure.
Which groups believe the Bible literally and which ones do not?

There is an indispensable distinction, even when there is no difference, between what God implies and what we infer. Even an accurate inference is still subjective. Even though the truth exists, there is more than one way to look at anything, and nothing is well understood from only one point of view.

There is more than one literal way to see the bible. Being "literal" does not unify perspectives. Being literal is not even always at all accurate. Being literal sometimes conveys the exact opposite meaning from the one intended.

"Because the Bible says" amounts to nothing more than "because I infer".
"Because the bible says" is most often employed by those who have not out grown their first impression of what the bible says.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is my understanding that fundamentalist evangelical groups of Christians believe the Bible literally. I am not really sure what groups that encompasses for sure.

I don't think it's perfectly categorical, but the groups that I know of are Pentecostal/Charismatics, Baptists (perhaps not all) and non-denominational evangelicals (but even then it's not 100%, there are moderate and liberal non-denominational evangelicals that don't read the bible as 100% literal).

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

are you sorta' speaking of faith? I'm thinkin' of the verse where God says that without faith it is impossible to please Him. And on that same vein.....are you asking if it requires faith to take God at His Word? Is that what you mean? Cuz wouldn't it require faith to take God at His Word and to believe Him? And isn't faith the hope for those things that are not seen, yet, but is believing that God can and will and is able to bring what He promised to pass?

Is that what you're asking?

On a side note, it kinda reminds me of a what it must've been like for Moses in that impossible quagmire of circumstances (the look on this actors face kinda does it for me cuz my face would'a been the same), as he shook his head yes, and hesitatingly at first held up that rod......and then watched as God did the rest.....(beginning of the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp_62CvHeAQ&list=PLD5hYNkAv_gpPQFzAEc6LH6wOpzl2sl-g

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think you'll find most of us of the Reformed branch take a literal view of the bible. That doesn't mean we don't recognise parables, poetry etc.

Thank you sir. Your response fits right in with intojoy's (the link)

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I guess when ya say believe the Bible literally that you mean believing what it says is literally true and that one can live by it.

Excellent response sir. May i use your quote?

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think you'll find most of us of the Reformed branch take a literal view of the bible. That doesn't mean we don't recognise parables, poetry etc.
i would say that this is the understanding of most of the denominations other then the most liberal?

I think you could say the same about the Catholic Church

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is my understanding that fundamentalist evangelical groups of Christians believe the Bible literally.
They take selected Scriptures literally, and then interpret away like mad on others. They're as keen on the old reliable "that's what it says, but what it really means is..." schtick as anyone, and often more so. For instance, see if you can find a single fundy who takes a literal view of Eucharist being the literal Body and Blood of our Lord. ;)

Which groups believe the Bible literally
By my observation, the likelihood of a group taking the Scripture literally is in inverse proportion to the how much they claim to take it literally.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
no, I mean those who believe that the earth is only 6000 years old, there was really a dude named Adam, Noah built an ark, the Israelites marched around Jericho and blew horns and it fell down, Rebekkah rode on a camel to go to Isaac, Jesus rode on a donkey and or a donkey and a donkey foal, Herod killed all the infant boys, etc....

We do

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

You forgot to include that there actually was a dude named Jesus of Nazareth, that he rose from the grave, that there is a life after death, and so much more. As a matter of fact, why itemize? Just go directly to the bottom line and say the Bible is bunk.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
They take selected Scriptures literally, and then interpret away like mad on others. They're as keen on the old reliable "that's what it says, but what it really means is..." schtick as anyone, and often more so. For instance, see if you can find a single fundy who takes a literal view of Eucharist being the literal Body and Blood of our Lord. ;)

By my observation, the likelihood of a group taking the Scripture literally is in inverse proportion to the how much they claim to take it literally.

Parts are literal. Parts are figurative. This is why we are to study so that we can discern properly.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.